What happens when you stop Finasteride/Propecia?

Shad

What happens when you take the drugs? And what happens if you do discontinue the treatment?

Let's say if you took it for a week, then discontinued it, would your hormones be permanently altered?

I'm under the knowledge that the main thing it does is inhibit the conversion of testosterone to DHT, but are there any other hormonal changes, and are they permanent?

finasteride prevents your body from making DHT. This is the main cause of hairloss.

Day 1 of taking finasteride your body will begin making less DHT. As you keep using finasteride, your body will continually have a significantly low level of DHT. When you stop taking finasteride, your body will begin making DHT again and your levels will go back up to normal and your hairloss will progress again.

Some people experience side effects that are short term and not permanent. It's extremely rare to have permanent side effects. Dont let the internet scare you

2 hours ago, hairlossPA said:

finasteride prevents your body from making DHT. This is the main cause of hairloss.

Day 1 of taking finasteride your body will begin making less DHT. As you keep using finasteride, your body will continually have a significantly low level of DHT. When you stop taking finasteride, your body will begin making DHT again and your levels will go back up to normal and your hairloss will progress again.

Some people experience side effects that are short term and not permanent. It's extremely rare to have permanent side effects. Dont let the internet scare you

10 minutes ago, spex said:

I seriously doubt it man - 1 week.... I think you'll be fine 😉

Regards

Spex

To clarify, I had a really bad breakout of back acne within 4 days of hopping on fin. I realised it was because of the testosterone levels creating excess sebum in the follicles of my back, which is why I discontinued the fin temporarily. However, I had to get on antibiotics for my back for it, which is why now I'm re evaluating whether it's truly worth it.

It's itchy, and I'm fucking torn just writing this. Trying to solve a problem gave me another one, and this one isn't a very fun one to deal with 😢

• 3 weeks later...

OP,

I stopped taking 1mg Finasteride around 6 months ago after taking it daily for ~ 10 years. I stopped due to the brain fog/depression which magically disappeared within a few months of stopping Finasteride. When i had blood & semen tests at the GP recently, everything came back as normal...yet during the time I was taking Finasteride, the semen count was a little low. So it appears I've done no permanent damage to my body, however I've always ate sensibly, done daily cardio on the rowing machine or treadmill so perhaps my lifestyle habits also made sure any long term damage from using Finasteride was minimal.

I’ve read reports online of people claiming issues like increase in oilyness, acne, etc. it kind of makes sense since you’re altering your hormonal profile thru taking fin. Until your body reaches a new equilibrium with the drug you’ll likely face some of these issues. Take all of this with a grain of salt however as I’m not a doctor and I’d recommend you run these questions by a qualified doctor/derm