FUT ~2500 frontal grafts by Dr. Diep Oct 26th [White Male]

mas_pelo

Hey everyone, 

I recently (~2 weeks ago) had an FUT procedure done by Dr. Diep in Los Gatos, CA. This is my second FUT procedure. The previous one was about 5 years ago by a different doc and had rather weak results. 

First procedure before and after (5 years ago, 4 years ago, and about a month ago):

Pre original procedure

1827028890_ScreenShot2018-11-10at4_37_11PM.thumb.png.081476ca1e2c55601afe15bae04462ad.png

1 year post orig procedure

462083209_ScreenShot2018-11-10at4_35_21PM.thumb.png.f468639ef7597276add77995aee47a42.png

3 weeks ago, 5 years post original procedure... and pre 2nd procedure

2030450965_ScreenShot2018-11-10at4_32_34PM.thumb.png.bf8c5723ff8c6bb0f6834ac91216ede5.png

So now for the most recent procedure with Dr. Diep. First of all, the experience was much more relaxed than my previous. Dr. Diep instills a lot of confidence and his approach is very straight forward and reassuring. He decided FUT would work best for me and was hoping to get 3500 grafts and cut out my original scar. Unfortunately, he was only able to retrieve about 2500 grafts but refunded me the difference. I went with the shot of stem cells (PRP or whatever) to help everything take and stimulate growth. Here are some pics of post surgery up until now (about 2 weeks later):

2066535789_ScreenShot2018-11-10at4_54_44PM.thumb.png.e60d1ad8ad673ffabeb655d80dd720da.png

donor area is feeling pretty tight. Definitely not as much flexibility as their was the first time. 

415944568_ScreenShot2018-11-10at4_56_08PM.thumb.png.f33927bb6609444209b9bd55c24e52f5.png808098665_ScreenShot2018-11-10at4_55_35PM.thumb.png.2e074bccd30664f8b21f3bb77b841e3b.png

scar goes fairly high up this time

1744518526_ScreenShot2018-11-10at4_55_16PM.thumb.png.2d82ef91c7a1f0cfb4552e20a54bc1c7.png

here it is today. I know I'll likely lose most of this in the next two weeks or so... but interesting to see the new hairline / density I might hope to see again in about years time. 471322620_ScreenShot2018-11-10at4_56_30PM.png.60ea5c6ff989d293e8ad2d45e5945106.png

• Administrators

Thanks for the good write-up, happy growing and please keep us updated with your progress.

warm regards-Melvin

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely a brutal scar and that is a big area for 2500 grafts. Good luck. I'll follow your case. 

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hoping this along with my previous procedure will bring some decent results. The scar does worry me a bit. I just don’t scar v well in general. And I’m still very numb on the head which is bugging me when I sleep.

• Administrators

Looks like you’ve experienced some shock loss around the scar. Don’t worry this should resolve over time. The scar is also still healing, so hopefully it improves overtime as well. Thanks for keeping us posted.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• 7 months later...

Update on hair and scar. Hair looking pretty good. Scar looking even worse. Very disappointed overall just bc the scar is so bad. Not sure what to do next. Was considering tattoo but might be best to go for a revision next...

5D68CD21-F4C2-47DF-B745-576526EB5DA0.jpeg

532D1D21-D3FB-45EE-81B4-50E4046D6B5F.jpeg

B35092F0-0E01-4E48-9A6D-7CE9BC5450C4.jpeg

C21AF342-8BEC-4D8D-AF46-354E5E825AB0.jpeg

736C608C-A96C-434E-B6ED-CCBB21FA27D7.jpeg

This looks awful.. That is NOT shock loss, you clearly see it is stretched scar tissue, what is diep saying? I would consider konior for your scar revision, I bet he can make that scar dissappear without any hassle. 

• Like 1

You're going to have to give the scar time. You have stretchy collagen.

Take vitamin C, bone broth/glycine, and tocotrienols and use topical vitamin E/aloe. For me, I've found jojoba really keeps inflammation down. Experiment with things, even grapeseed or emu oil. Massage and laser might help, though the main elixir will be time.

Keep us updated and don't beat yourself up too much -- and if you figure out how to do the latter part, please share your secret. Good luck young man.

• Administrators

The scar does look stretched. Unfortunately, this can occur, especially on subsequent procedures. That said, the recipient looks great. Don’t beat yourself up about the scar. I would do some beard hair in to the scar. After the beard hair you can finish it off with trichopigmentation and call it a day. 

View my thread

that scar is almost an inch wide at some points. how in gods name does something “stretch” that wide? worst case scenario for FUT sorry man... just remember the skin is closed next to each other when stapled/sewn up. unreal

1 hour ago, hairlossPA said:

that scar is almost an inch wide at some points. how in gods name does something “stretch” that wide? worst case scenario for FUT sorry man... just remember the skin is closed next to each other when stapled/sewn up. unreal

This probably isn’t even surgeon error (unless he underestimated how tight the closure was). Some people just have very stretchy collagen and as their scar heals it’ll stretch, it’s highly likely this is down to patient physiology 

13 minutes ago, Phil36fromaus said:

if thats true wouldnt the surgeon check other signs of scarring on the body (other operations etc) to check what the patient's physiology is and then determine the best extraction method? 

Nasty scar :( sincerely hoping for the best ...

They usually ask this in the pre-op medical history form, but this depends on whether the patient has had prior ops, or thinks to mention it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Payam said:

This looks awful.. That is NOT shock loss, you clearly see it is stretched scar tissue, what is diep saying? I would consider konior for your scar revision, I bet he can make that scar dissappear without any hassle. 

The scar could likely be improved with a revision without taking any grafts... HOWEVER, there is no surgeon on the planet that could give this guy a pencil thin scar as it will stretch to a certain extent whatever happens, this is patient physiology and I know konior is the “in” surgeon at the moment, but I don’t care if Jesus Christ performs the surgery this guy will have a wider than average scar! Although I do feel a revision has the potential to at least half it, providing the patient performs the scalp stretching exercises and follows post op instructions to the letter.

• Like 1

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Aftermath said:

The scar could likely be improved with a revision without taking any grafts... HOWEVER, there is no surgeon on the planet that could give this guy a pencil thin scar as it will stretch to a certain extent whatever happens, this is patient physiology and I know konior is the “in” surgeon at the moment, but I don’t care if Jesus Christ performs the surgery this guy will have a wider than average scar! Although I do feel a revision has the potential to at least half it, providing the patient performs the scalp stretching exercises and follows post op instructions to the letter.

I love Dr. Konior, he's absolutely fantastic, but sometimes it goes too far, he's a surgeon not a magician. Also, strip scars stretch, this is why FUE has become so popular. To be honest, he probably wasn't a great strip candidate and probably would've been better off doing FUE.

View my thread

6 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I love Dr. Konior, he's absolutely fantastic, but sometimes it goes too far, he's a surgeon not a magician. Also, strip scars stretch, this is why FUE has become so popular. To be honest, he probably wasn't a great strip candidate and probably would've been better off doing FUE.

Couldn’t have said it better myself

12 hours ago, Aftermath said:

Defiantly a stretched scar and not shockloss. How was the scar before the last procedure? 

The scar was fairly minor beforehand (from surgery one in 2013). Not even noticeable at a 3 or 4 shave. Now I have to use dermatch on this even with longer hair. 

7 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Hi Melvin,

What do you mean by stretch? Is it the case of the scars widening over time?

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, Greg_Swanson said:

Hi Melvin,

What do you mean by stretch? Is it the case of the scars widening over time?

Certain individuals are predisposed to scars stretching, especially if the skin is too tight. Strip scars stretch regardless of the surgeon. Literally every single surgeon has a case where the strip scar stretched. This is what entices patients to FUE.

View my thread

6 hours ago, mas_pelo said:

The scar was fairly minor beforehand (from surgery one in 2013). Not even noticeable at a 3 or 4 shave. Now I have to use dermatch on this even with longer hair. 

I read back through the thread earlier and I noticed you said it felt tighter this time and he couldn’t get the desired number of grafts, seems to me that you’re someone that’s prone to stretching, but the doctor overestimated the scalp laxity. If it was closed under tension then the scar would far more likely to stretch. Like I said consult with a few top surgeons about a revision, but don’t take any grafts in the strip and make sure you do a few months of scalp stretching exercises leading up 2 the surgery. I think the scar could substantially be reduced so it’s cosmetically acceptable, but you won’t have the “pencil thin” scar that people talk about. If the density of the recipient area isn’t dense enough for you when the year is up you could also think about extracting the remaining grafts your doc wanted via FUE to fill in any gaps that might be there.