Information About Hair Transplant In Portugal

Hello Guys,

I´m new to this forum and I hope you can help me.

I'm thinking about a hair transplant in Portugal.In that sense, I did some research and found 4 clinics that I believe are serious:

CM2C – I called to schedule an assessment and without even seeing me they were already saying I needed the transplant.I didn't like the approach.

DHI-the same situation from the previous, very commercial and little enlightening.

REPLACE-I liked the service, they said Dr Fatima Garces (who founded Saude Viavel) is making the operation.

Saude Viavel -Has a spectacular office in Lisbon and the service phone call was very good.

Does anyone have any feedback on the clinics?

Thank you.

• 11 months later...

I would also like to know about others' opinions of clinics in Portugal.

I also didn't like the way that CM2C responded to my enquiry - no detail, and the price they quoted was way below other clinics.

DHI bombarded me with marketing info.

Saude Viavel is expensive but maybe they're worth it?

It would be great if any members here could help with recommendations (or warnings!).

Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Please save your money and have your transplant done by a doctor doing the entire surgery with great results posted on this forum. 

Stay away from these clinics were the surgery is done by a team of technicians that were waiters last month and this month are implanting hairs.  

Dra. Fatima Garces is still using the Artas Robot which was responsible for many terrible results in this forum (search here Artas Robot).
Dr. Rahal and every other good doctor have stopped using Artas many years ago so my advise is to run away from Dra.Fatima and any other clinic still using the Artas Robot. 

I have a Doctor friend from Egas Moniz that went to C2MC because he knew the Doctor there but he ended up having his surgery performed by a tech from Senegal.  He now regrets not going to Dr. Kaan Pekiner like I did. 

In Portugal there are only 2 doctors doing world class hair transplants: Dr Bruno Pinto (fully booked until 2021 and only some dates available in 2021) and Dr. Bruno Ferreira (2,5€/graft).

If you want to have a hair transplant in Portugal and be 100% sure you will get great results then you have to book one of these two doctors! 

There’s a reason why these two doctors are more expensive and are fully booked - you don’t go to discounted clinics to have techs with little knowledge or a Robot operate on you, this is a permanent surgery!

Edited by Portugal25

@Hobo_Sapiens I am reccomending Doctors with dozen of patients posting their amazing results online and only Doctors that perform the whole surgery themselves with the most advanced techniques, which is either using Implanter Pen to open the hole and insert the graft at the same time thus increasing the graft survival rate - or stick&place. 

How can you recommend a clinic that has no patients showing their results online? Do you really believe the pictures on the clinic website are to be believed? Should we also believe we will all have the same level of surgery they performed on the celebrities that are paid to endorse them?
Open your eyes my friend!

Do you know that Dr. Cruz Dinis uses technicians to do the surgeries at his clinic just like C2MC and Saude Viavel? Dr. Kaan Pekiner told me this during our 3 day surgery because he met him at a conference. Yes 3 days Hobo because when a Doctor does the whole procedure he can only do around 1000 grafts per day so a surgery like mine with 3895 grafts takes 3 days and during that time I had a whole clinic just for myself. 

Go to the Spanish forum see some patient results of Bruno Pinto and then dig a little deaper into the techniques used by the best FUE doctors in the world and you will see they are doing the whole surgery with Implantor Pens or Stick&Place without relying on technicians. 

After you have done this research you will begin to understand why Dr. Bruno Pinto is fully booked until 2021 and the clinics you talked about will persuade you with discounts to convince you to book the surgery. 

I’m not a Doctor but I had a hair transplant 12 years ago with the best FUT Doctor in the world Dr. Rahal and I have been keeping myself updated on the evolution of FUE techniques and who are the best and most affordable Doctors which right now for FUE, they are Bruno Ferreira (2.5€/graft) and Kaan Pekiner (2.15€/graft).

Edited by Portugal25

hi Portugal25, thanks for your reply. No, I didn't know that Dr Dinis was using technicians to do the surgeries. If that's true, he should say so on his website.

You're right about the photos too - how can we trust the photos on the websites? It would be better if they posted photos here, as Bruno Ferreira has done.

Anyone considering a clinic needs to ask a lot of questions before committing to one.

@Hobo_Sapiens you will find that very few clinics explain what is the Doctor involvement in the surgery but If you see that the Doctor is not even mentioned on the clinic`s website then it`s most likely a clinic providing surgeries done by technicians.

Not a lot of Doctors offer a surgery in which the Doctor is doing the entire surgery, they usually have technicians doing part of the surgery so they can have more than 1 patient per day (divide the Doctor time between the patients) and thus doubling (or tripling depending on nº of patients per day) the daily turnover of their clinic.

Technicians are usually under paid staff that can be there one day and gone the next so how can we compare results from 1 year old surgeries done by clinics that use technicians that are problaby not working there anymore? The new techs can be achieving very different results (better or worst).

The only way to compare results is when you look at results posted by Doctors from surgeries that are being performed entirely by the Doctors (with nurses and technicians helping the Doctor during the surgery ofcourse).

When I went to Dr. Kaan I knew I would be getting a similar result to the patients that posted results from his surgeries because he does the entire surgery. I had the whole clinic and its staff dedicated to my surgery during 3 days.

It`s for this reason that the Portuguese Doctors I reccommended that have the exact same approach, Dr. Bruno Pinto and @Dr. Bruno Ferreira are much more expensive than the well know Portuguese clinics but have long wait lists and the Portuguese clinics you mentioned need to offer discounts to convince people to book a surgery.

Edited by Portugal25

On 1/2/2020 at 6:52 PM, Portugal25 said:

If you want to have a hair transplant in Portugal and be 100% sure you will get great results then you have to book one of these two doctors! 

On 1/6/2020 at 11:08 PM, Portugal25 said:

dig a little deaper into the techniques used by the best FUE doctors in the world and you will see they are doing the whole surgery with Implantor Pens or Stick&Place without relying on technicians. 

I agree with a lot of things you said but:

- No clinic in the world can 100 % guarantee a great result. One should never forget that is still a high risk surgery. There are terrible results from clinics like Kaan, Keser etc. even if they do everything themselves. There are even terrible results with FUT which for sure creates less stress on the grafts than FUE (independent who performed the extractions)

- There is (to my knowledge) no evidence that implanter pen gives (in general) better results than using blades (Many top clinics still using pre-made slits actually; It appears a little bit to be a speciality of the Iberian area) 

@Gasthoerer yes you are right, even the world best Doctor has had some bad results but how do we minimize the risk of getting a bad result?

I think it comes down to looking at a lot of results posted by patients (on this forum and others) and chosing a Doctor that is consistently achieving really good results.

I can`t compare results from clinics that use technicians because the techs that achieved those results might not work there anymore and the new techs can be providing better or worst results.

I will stick with comparing results from Doctors that perform the whole surgery regardless of their technique (what matters is the results they can achieve).

In Spain, Lorenzo, De Freitas, Couto (the Top Iberian Doctors) are using the Lion Implanter Pen not pre-made slits.

Edited by Portugal25

@Martins17 following up on what I told you regarding Dra Fatima Garces that still uses the Artas Robot (a machine that is responsible for many terrible results on this forum) there is now a class action  lawsuit against the company that made this device. I would stay clear of any clinic using Artas.

Edited by Portugal25