For those of you who have received HT's...

• Administrators

Not worth keeping a secret in my opinion. Obviously, I’m only talking about close friends and loved ones. I don’t necessarily broadcast that ive had a hair transplant to strangers. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I've never kept it a secret from friends or family - but the casual acquaintance would never suspect .  It's no big deal.  People I have told are like "You got plugs, huh?"  which is , of course, quite a conversation starter.  Because plugs are like so 80's.  But what do they know?  Rabble. 

• Like 1

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

I used to keep my hair transplant a secret in the beginning but I’m sure people knew even though I didn’t want them to. After all, I went from having essentially no hair to almost a full head of hair again. That’s number one. But later on, I decided that I would tell people because I was no longer ashamed of it. And everybody I told was very fascinated and depressed. So like Melvin said, it’s probably not worth keeping a secret to  your loved ones. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brickellmoto said:

....have any of you successfully hidden it from others completely? 

If being honest, Not really, all eyes are literally on on scalp.    If it isn’t natural looking,you can really get nailed,slammed, etc.  Very hard at times to figure out how to manage your day. When questions are asked and your insulted, it isn’t a great feeling.  Fml

• Like 1

11 hours ago, brickellmoto said:

....have any of you successfully hidden it from others completely? 

Obviously you want yours to be kept secret or you wouldn't have asked this question.  I had FUT in 2011 - took off work for 2 weeks, and nobody had any idea I had anything done, and I worked with a lot of women, especially one heavy black lady that notice everything.  I couldn't sneak anything past her, but she didn't notice the hair transplant - that's when I knew I had it made.  You can't hide FUE very well.  I just had FUE and lucky for me I am retired so just wearing a hat hid my ridiculous haircut.  Now 2 months later all is well.  If you can't take a couple weeks off with FUT or FUE the scabs will be a problem.  With FUT let your hair grow.  Nobody knows about either procedure except one buddy of mine whom I told.  The best you can do with FUE is get your head buzzed and let everybody get used to seeing you that way.  You will still have the problem with scabs for up to 2 weeks, and some guys experience redness.

Edited by Dazed
  • Like 1

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

• Moderators

A lot of whether you can hide it or not depends on how much hair loss you have to begin with and what areas you are getting transplanted.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

11 hours ago, Dazed said:

Obviously you want yours to be kept secret or you wouldn't have asked this question.  I had FUT in 2011 - took off work for 2 weeks, and nobody had any idea I had anything done, and I worked with a lot of women, especially one heavy black lady that notice everything.  I couldn't sneak anything past her, but she didn't notice the hair transplant - that's when I knew I had it made.  You can't hide FUE very well.  I just had FUE and lucky for me I am retired so just wearing a hat hid my ridiculous haircut.  Now 2 months later all is well.  If you can't take a couple weeks off with FUT or FUE the scabs will be a problem.  With FUT let your hair grow.  Nobody knows about either procedure except one buddy of mine whom I told.  The best you can do with FUE is get your head buzzed and let everybody get used to seeing you that way.  You will still have the problem with scabs for up to 2 weeks, and some guys experience redness.

haha yea i definitely do....

here's my thread right here if you want to check it and give your opinion. i can definitely get 2 weeks off from work if need be, and i work in a job where i can wear a hat no problem. but i wanted to hear other people's experiences and if anyone has actually ever gone a year hiding it from others, mainly the general public and friends. loved ones will know of course, i don't mind that.

Why would you have to hide for a year?  Nobody will notice as your new hair is growing in.  I think you are interpreting when people talk about a year they are more talking about thickness and density of the hairs.  You will be at ease a lot earlier than that.  Remember people aren't looking at you as much as you think they are.  They are too concerned about their own appearance.  Unless you were the hot girl in the office people don't notice you.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

18 hours ago, Dazed said:

Why would you have to hide for a year?  Nobody will notice as your new hair is growing in.  I think you are interpreting when people talk about a year they are more talking about thickness and density of the hairs.  You will be at ease a lot earlier than that.  Remember people aren't looking at you as much as you think they are.  They are too concerned about their own appearance.  Unless you were the hot girl in the office people don't notice you.

what if you're the hot guy in the office? lol. but all seriousness tho, thats why i made this thread...to see what other people's experiences are. i do, however, work in the entertainment industry, which is why i wanted to keep it as discreet as possible until it gets to the point where it looks like its just growing, so i wanted to get a little more in depth detail as to a timeline for being on camera purposes. but i do understand that everyone is different in that regard.

Edited by brickellmoto

I've told no one - not even my closest friends, blood relations, acquaintance. I just wore the appropriate hats for months - say, caps for casual, beret/fedora for business/parties -  and just told everyone I have an unsightly wound and going through the healing process.

Being an NW2, by the time I showed my hair to the public, everyone just thought I looked better. (Did I have my face done,? What serum am I using? What supplements am I taking? No one noticed the hair except to say the hair style suits me.)

Edited by fortuneplant

15 hours ago, fortuneplant said:

I've told no one - not even my closest friends, blood relations, acquaintance. I just wore the appropriate hats for months - say, caps for casual, beret/fedora for business/parties -  and just told everyone I have an unsightly wound and going through the healing process.

Being an NW2, by the time I showed my hair to the public, everyone just thought I looked better. (Did I have my face done,? What serum am I using? What supplements am I taking? No one noticed the hair except to say the hair style suits me.)

okay nice. you have pics? before/after/during?

7 hours ago, brickellmoto said:

wow thats some really good work. who was your surgeon? i like the appearance of a more staggered hairline as it looks natural IMO. some surgeons make it look too linear.

Thanks. It was done in the Philippines. The surgeon mentioned it as a Korean technique. (Btw, South Korea seem to do a lot of good looking HT but not covered in this forum though.)

Edited by fortuneplant

10 hours ago, spex said:

In my experienced opinion the more people you tell the easier it all is to deal with. Its a hard one to wrap your head round no doubt but trust me!

Regards

Spex

First off, how did you manage to do 13 HTs and kept it a secret?! This padawan is humbled. :)

I agree with you that it's much easier to deal with it if one just let it out publicly. But I guess, with current norms, easier said than done.

Edited by fortuneplant

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 11/12/2018 at 5:02 PM, fortuneplant said:

Thanks. It was done in the Philippines. The surgeon mentioned it as a Korean technique. (Btw, South Korea seem to do a lot of good looking HT but not covered in this forum though.)

What was the name of the surgeon? The work looks impeccable.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I successfully kept mine a secret, but it involved concocting an alternative story as to why I was wearing a hat at work and then as to why I buzzed my head about a month after. Once I started seeing results, I started having a lot fewer hangups about it and began being more open about it. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't be as secretive with it. Everyone that knows is extremely supportive, find it fascinating, have tons of inquisitive questions, and many of them come to me when they have a friend or a boyfriend who's struggling with hair loss and wants to discuss it. 

The stigma isn't anywhere near what I think we might fear it is - and my experience is that it's always received very positively. It's simply not worth the stress of trying to hide it. 

Edited by pkipling

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Only one person in the entire world (other than my doctor and the techs) knows I had 2 HT's -- my wife. I haven't told my friends, family, co-workers, etc. I had two FUE's over a 3 year period. My hair is noticeably different if you look at pics 8 years ago and today but I think because I did it gradually and fairly conservatively, nobody has suspected anything. I think they would think I just style it differently now.

And, believe me, my brother and a few of my very close guy friends would ABSOLUTELY mention it if they knew. It would be an opportunity to give me a lot of shit!