Jump to content
brickellmoto

For those of you who have received HT's...

Recommended Posts

Not worth keeping a secret in my opinion. Obviously, I’m only talking about close friends and loved ones. I don’t necessarily broadcast that ive had a hair transplant to strangers. 

  • Like 1

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

Melvin- Editorial Assistant and Forum Co-Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @hairtransplantnetwork1 FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never kept it a secret from friends or family - but the casual acquaintance would never suspect .  It's no big deal.  People I have told are like "You got plugs, huh?"  which is , of course, quite a conversation starter.  Because plugs are like so 80's.  But what do they know?  Rabble. 

  • Like 1

Just Sayin' What most People are Thinkin'

 

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I used to keep my hair transplant a secret in the beginning but I’m sure people knew even though I didn’t want them to. After all, I went from having essentially no hair to almost a full head of hair again. That’s number one. But later on, I decided that I would tell people because I was no longer ashamed of it. And everybody I told was very fascinated and depressed. So like Melvin said, it’s probably not worth keeping a secret to  your loved ones. 

  • Like 1

I am the managing publisher of the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog and this Hair Loss Forum. I am also a 4 time hair transplant patient. View my patient hair loss website to view my entire hair restoration journey with photos.

Remember, true beauty radiates from within, not from the skin.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, brickellmoto said:

....have any of you successfully hidden it from others completely? 

If being honest, Not really, all eyes are literally on on scalp.    If it isn’t natural looking,you can really get nailed,slammed, etc.  Very hard at times to figure out how to manage your day. When questions are asked and your insulted, it isn’t a great feeling.  Fml

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, brickellmoto said:

....have any of you successfully hidden it from others completely? 

Obviously you want yours to be kept secret or you wouldn't have asked this question.  I had FUT in 2011 - took off work for 2 weeks, and nobody had any idea I had anything done, and I worked with a lot of women, especially one heavy black lady that notice everything.  I couldn't sneak anything past her, but she didn't notice the hair transplant - that's when I knew I had it made.  You can't hide FUE very well.  I just had FUE and lucky for me I am retired so just wearing a hat hid my ridiculous haircut.  Now 2 months later all is well.  If you can't take a couple weeks off with FUT or FUE the scabs will be a problem.  With FUT let your hair grow.  Nobody knows about either procedure except one buddy of mine whom I told.  The best you can do with FUE is get your head buzzed and let everybody get used to seeing you that way.  You will still have the problem with scabs for up to 2 weeks, and some guys experience redness.

Edited by Dazed
  • Like 1

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of whether you can hide it or not depends on how much hair loss you have to begin with and what areas you are getting transplanted.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dazed said:

Obviously you want yours to be kept secret or you wouldn't have asked this question.  I had FUT in 2011 - took off work for 2 weeks, and nobody had any idea I had anything done, and I worked with a lot of women, especially one heavy black lady that notice everything.  I couldn't sneak anything past her, but she didn't notice the hair transplant - that's when I knew I had it made.  You can't hide FUE very well.  I just had FUE and lucky for me I am retired so just wearing a hat hid my ridiculous haircut.  Now 2 months later all is well.  If you can't take a couple weeks off with FUT or FUE the scabs will be a problem.  With FUT let your hair grow.  Nobody knows about either procedure except one buddy of mine whom I told.  The best you can do with FUE is get your head buzzed and let everybody get used to seeing you that way.  You will still have the problem with scabs for up to 2 weeks, and some guys experience redness.

haha yea i definitely do....

here's my thread right here if you want to check it and give your opinion. i can definitely get 2 weeks off from work if need be, and i work in a job where i can wear a hat no problem. but i wanted to hear other people's experiences and if anyone has actually ever gone a year hiding it from others, mainly the general public and friends. loved ones will know of course, i don't mind that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would you have to hide for a year?  Nobody will notice as your new hair is growing in.  I think you are interpreting when people talk about a year they are more talking about thickness and density of the hairs.  You will be at ease a lot earlier than that.  Remember people aren't looking at you as much as you think they are.  They are too concerned about their own appearance.  Unless you were the hot girl in the office people don't notice you.


"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dazed said:

Why would you have to hide for a year?  Nobody will notice as your new hair is growing in.  I think you are interpreting when people talk about a year they are more talking about thickness and density of the hairs.  You will be at ease a lot earlier than that.  Remember people aren't looking at you as much as you think they are.  They are too concerned about their own appearance.  Unless you were the hot girl in the office people don't notice you.

what if you're the hot guy in the office? lol. but all seriousness tho, thats why i made this thread...to see what other people's experiences are. i do, however, work in the entertainment industry, which is why i wanted to keep it as discreet as possible until it gets to the point where it looks like its just growing, so i wanted to get a little more in depth detail as to a timeline for being on camera purposes. but i do understand that everyone is different in that regard.

Edited by brickellmoto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've told no one - not even my closest friends, blood relations, acquaintance. I just wore the appropriate hats for months - say, caps for casual, beret/fedora for business/parties -  and just told everyone I have an unsightly wound and going through the healing process.

Being an NW2, by the time I showed my hair to the public, everyone just thought I looked better. (Did I have my face done,? What serum am I using? What supplements am I taking? No one noticed the hair except to say the hair style suits me.)

Edited by fortuneplant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, fortuneplant said:

I've told no one - not even my closest friends, blood relations, acquaintance. I just wore the appropriate hats for months - say, caps for casual, beret/fedora for business/parties -  and just told everyone I have an unsightly wound and going through the healing process.

Being an NW2, by the time I showed my hair to the public, everyone just thought I looked better. (Did I have my face done,? What serum am I using? What supplements am I taking? No one noticed the hair except to say the hair style suits me.)

okay nice. you have pics? before/after/during?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive had 13 Ht's and initially kept them all a secret. When i finally came out and told my story i was overwhelmed how much people found it all of genuine interest and were incredibly supportive.

 

In my experienced opinion the more people you tell the easier it all is to deal with. Its a hard one to wrap your head round no doubt but trust me!

 

Regards

Spex

  • Like 1

 

Visit my website for my Free Ebook www.SpexHair.com  You can read my regular columns for The Telegraph and The Huffington Post, Apetogentleman and Vitabiotics via my site and you'll find a great deal out about me and the industry there! 

I am patient advisor for The Harley St Hair Clinic, Dr. Scott Alexander, Dr. William Lindsey and Dr. Tejinder Bhatti. I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. I am salaried by all the surgeons I represent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, fortuneplant said:

 

zhairUS.jpg

wow thats some really good work. who was your surgeon? i like the appearance of a more staggered hairline as it looks natural IMO. some surgeons make it look too linear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, brickellmoto said:

wow thats some really good work. who was your surgeon? i like the appearance of a more staggered hairline as it looks natural IMO. some surgeons make it look too linear.

Thanks. It was done in the Philippines. The surgeon mentioned it as a Korean technique. (Btw, South Korea seem to do a lot of good looking HT but not covered in this forum though.)

Edited by fortuneplant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, spex said:

In my experienced opinion the more people you tell the easier it all is to deal with. Its a hard one to wrap your head round no doubt but trust me!

 

Regards

Spex

First off, how did you manage to do 13 HTs and kept it a secret?! This padawan is humbled. :)

I agree with you that it's much easier to deal with it if one just let it out publicly. But I guess, with current norms, easier said than done.

 

Edited by fortuneplant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×