transplantedphil

Dr Devroye 8 MONTH REVIEW (FUE 2583 Grafts)

Phil,

I looked closely to your pics of the donor and to other cases. To be honest, on the first glimpse I do not see big issues: The punch size lookse fine and the wounds seemed to heal pretty fast. The pattern looks OK, maybe some of the extractions are a little close to each other put it does not look dramatic. Feathering is average and interstingly, I see some uneven areas even before the extraction. The "shiny" effect is also quite normal especially in the first days.

Konior only picked small singles for the hairline (from the side), therfore his punches are even smaller, but this is also normal.

That said: The result is really below average for this amount of FUE, but I (as a laymen) can only see minor issues from the post op pics. I do not see butchery (neither post op, nor after 8 month) on the donor.

I also do not want to excuse the other discusses topics - Hairline, poor communication from the clinic etc. Just want to give a perspective and hope you blame yourself a little less. Like saif before: In a couple of month you will look great. I am very sure.

All the best,

Gasthörer

Comparison (FUE after FUT also with WAW):

13 hours ago, Gasthoerer said:

Phil,

I looked closely to your pics of the donor and to other cases. To be honest, on the first glimpse I do not see big issues: The punch size lookse fine and the wounds seemed to heal pretty fast. The pattern looks OK, maybe some of the extractions are a little close to each other put it does not look dramatic. Feathering is average and interstingly, I see some uneven areas even before the extraction. The "shiny" effect is also quite normal especially in the first days.

Konior only picked small singles for the hairline (from the side), therfore his punches are even smaller, but this is also normal.

That said: The result is really below average for this amount of FUE, but I (as a laymen) can only see minor issues from the post op pics. I do not see butchery (neither post op, nor after 8 month) on the donor.

I also do not want to excuse the other discusses topics - Hairline, poor communication from the clinic etc. Just want to give a perspective and hope you blame yourself a little less. Like saif before: In a couple of month you will look great. I am very sure.

All the best,

Gasthörer

Comparison (FUE after FUT also with WAW):

Thanks so much for taking the time buddy :)

I don’t blame myself anymore and if your assessment is correct that’s actually a comfort - it’s the not knowing what was done to me or what to expect that I hated. I was always concerned given I could not tell much difference between the original injections and the FUE extractions themselves maybe the transection rate was high (the extraction process was that uncomfortable)

If the results are entirely normal - even expected for FUE - it means 2 things; 

1. I was only ever a good FUT candidate
  2. The exceeded graft count means Dr Devroye either wasn’t supervising my operation or he purposefully took me to the limit of my donor supply just to make a profit 

Thanks again Gasthoerer, sincerely appreciate your input!

On 8/11/2019 at 4:08 AM, transplantedphil said:

The miscommunication error came from the pre-op when I explained how I liked the look and design or the hairline created by my first surgeon Dr Konior, and how when I use toppik i usually leave the very front alone and add the fibres behind it starting from around 1cm. Devroye never asked any questions, just marked out stuff with a pen quickly, never showed me anything with a mirror to confirm, and i  suddenly I was undergoing surgery with another doctor.

That was the communication error for which I have always blamed myself for. Devroye came so highly recommended that I just trusted he knew what he was doing. 

Posts like these have kept me from a procedure for so many years now. It can get scary in this field. Sorry you had to go through all this.

Thanks @thornbush

The "bad" results were really only half the issue. The rest of it was politics

Even though I had a prior FUT operation, I had only chosen to do FUE with Dr Devroye because he suggested in our Skype consult that it would be better for my career as an actor and I would be able to cut my hair shorter. This of course was a blatant lie as I now believe he suggested it just so he could charge more $ per graft. So after that horrible surgery, like an idiot, I was keeping my hair short expecting a good result - which of course never came. It looked bad enough at the time I had a casting director ask me “wtf was wrong with my hair” and told me to not come back until I had fixed it. I naively (hopefully) assumed it all was just shock loss.

After this incident I contacted Dr Devroye again at the 6 month mark who told me to see his colleague Dr Knudsen in Sydney for a consultation. Dr Knudsen noticed all the strange issues with my HT and took pity on me, (he even offered me a discount for surgery just to fix it), and promised to take my case up with Dr Devroye and advocate on my behalf when he would see him at an upcoming conference the next month given my own difficulties in trying to cotnact Dr DEvroye myself. However after the conference I never heard from either of them again, even after repeated emails, so I knew I had just been fucked over by both of them.

I then joined this forum, which I REALLY didnt want to do, and stupidly asked @Bill - Seemiller(the former publishing manager) for help believing him to be some kind of patient advocate. If I wasn’t paranoid enough from being fucked over By Devroye and then ditched Dr Knudsen, having Bill disingenuously tell me in private correspondence that the results were all my fault, that I didnt try hard enough with Dr Devroye, and that he couldn’t even see a problem was enough to completely fuck my head up.

The sad thing is all my issues were easily solveable, but given the behaviour of Dr DEvroye I just didn't know who to trust. The surgical experience itself was bad enough, but what happened afterwards and how i was treated was just pathetic.

The only positive news I can tell the forum is that my repair work results from another Doctor are starting to come in and are looking very positive, so hopefully i can pretend like this never happened. But I still get upset, and still find it hard to move on realising what a complete waste of time, energy and money this all was. I just wasnt strong enough to deal with it effectively at the time. All of this was so fucking stupid. 

• Thanks 1