transplantedphil

Dr Devroye 8 MONTH REVIEW (FUE 2583 Grafts)

Dear forum members,

I think that this discussion can be resumed in an evident miscommunication at the time of the preoperative consultation. The reason why we didn't implant any grafts in the very first hairline is included in the patient's first post and we did so following (what we thought to be) his wishes and expectations : "I basically tried to explaining how I liked the initial appearance and placement of my hairline area (created by my first HT doctor), and that I wanted to add density behind it." Now, this is exactly what has been done in this case : reinforcing the density of the thinning areas behind the hairline, with a major focus on the midscalp and vertex, the areas not grafted during the patient’s first surgery. Regarding the number of grafts harvested : I do not think that 2583 grafts can be considered a megasession – on the contrary, in this specific case, I find this number perfectly appropriate to achieve a homogeneous density on the thinning areas, which represented a quite important surface. Based on the pictures posted, I honestly don't see any issue related with donor overharvesting or visible FUE extraction signs. Someone can argue that the overall donor density has diminished, but this phenomenon is intrinsic to FUE. Also the FUT scar seems fairly covered by the grafts we implanted in it – not to be misunderstood with the indented nature that a number of FUT scars have. This cannot be corrected. It is important to underline that the donor area had been physically inspected and the areas of the scalp to be implanted were marked (these areas didn't include the hairline) prior to the procedure, as for every procedure in my clinic.   

I want also to point out that the patient has benefitted from a one-week follow-up at the clinic (unlike "standard" patients, who normally benefit from a post-operative check-up in the morning following their surgery, before their departure), since he didn't leave Belgium until the week after the procedure was performed. He came to the clinic several times and if in just one occasion he had told me directly and clearly that he was not happy about the procedure, there would have been absolutely no problem to perform a small touch-up in order to match his expectations. However, nothing was mentioned and the patient left Belgium apparently happy – until three weeks after the procedure, when he started to complain about his hairline –  all the rest came subsequently. On a side note, I want to clarify that I always stand by my patients and take their follow-up very seriously, in fact I send a post-operative email to all of them at certain times after their procedure to receive some news. In this patient's case, these emails were not sent since he contacted us on his own initiative just before the time due to send them.

I am truly regretful that the patient isn't satisfied about his outcome and the general proceedings of the surgery, even though I have the feeling that he is upset rather with himself for not having been able to clearly explain his goals and expectations at the due time. However, I invite the patient to contact my secretariat to fix a date for a free touch-up procedure, at his best convenience.

Jean Devroye

• Like 1

Dr. Jean Devroye

HTS Clinic - Bruxelles

Email: info@drdevroye.com

Telephone: +32 2 880 70 60

Online consultation: https://www.hair-transplant-surgery.com/en/Online-consultation

Devroye Instruments: http://www.devroyeinstruments.com

Dr. Devroye is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

2 minutes ago, Dr. Jean Devroye said:

Dear forum members,

I think that this discussion can be resumed in an evident miscommunication at the time of the preoperative consultation. The reason why we didn't implant any grafts in the very first hairline is included in the patient's first post and we did so following (what we thought to be) his wishes and expectations : "I basically tried to explaining how I liked the initial appearance and placement of my hairline area (created by my first HT doctor), and that I wanted to add density behind it." Now, this is exactly what has been done in this case : reinforcing the density of the thinning areas behind the hairline, with a major focus on the midscalp and vertex, the areas not grafted during the patient’s first surgery. Regarding the number of grafts harvested : I do not think that 2583 grafts can be considered a megasession – on the contrary, in this specific case, I find this number perfectly appropriate to achieve a homogeneous density on the thinning areas, which represented a quite important surface. Based on the pictures posted, I honestly don't see any issue related with donor overharvesting or visible FUE extraction signs. Someone can argue that the overall donor density has diminished, but this phenomenon is intrinsic to FUE. Also the FUT scar seems fairly covered by the grafts we implanted in it – not to be misunderstood with the indented nature that a number of FUT scars have. This cannot be corrected. It is important to underline that the donor area had been physically inspected and the areas of the scalp to be implanted were marked (these areas didn't include the hairline) prior to the procedure, as for every procedure in my clinic.   

I want also to point out that the patient has benefitted from a one-week follow-up at the clinic (unlike "standard" patients, who normally benefit from a post-operative check-up in the morning following their surgery, before their departure), since he didn't leave Belgium until the week after the procedure was performed. He came to the clinic several times and if in just one occasion he had told me directly and clearly that he was not happy about the procedure, there would have been absolutely no problem to perform a small touch-up in order to match his expectations. However, nothing was mentioned and the patient left Belgium apparently happy – until three weeks after the procedure, when he started to complain about his hairline –  all the rest came subsequently. On a side note, I want to clarify that I always stand by my patients and take their follow-up very seriously, in fact I send a post-operative email to all of them at certain times after their procedure to receive some news. In this patient's case, these emails were not sent since he contacted us on his own initiative just before the time due to send them.

I am truly regretful that the patient isn't satisfied about his outcome and the general proceedings of the surgery, even though I have the feeling that he is upset rather with himself for not having been able to clearly explain his goals and expectations at the due time. However, I invite the patient to contact my secretariat to fix a date for a free touch-up procedure, at his best convenience.

Jean Devroye

Good response. I still find the approach strange that the thin area at the front of the hairline wasn't covered even if it wasn't expressly asked for, but the touch-up offer without a doubt shows the clinic work to keep their patients happy even in an inconvenient situation like this.

3 hours ago, Dr. Jean Devroye said:

Dear forum members,

Jean Devroye

great response

On 11/14/2018 at 8:14 PM, Dr. Jean Devroye said:

Dear forum members,

Jean Devroye

Edited by Phil36fromaus

Thanks Dr. Devroye,

This is what makes this job so satisfying, receiving a resolution. While, it’s unfortunate the patient is upset and unhappy. I am glad you’ve taken ownership of the issue and offered a free touch-up.  I have no doubts in your ability and skill. I hope the patient is happy in the end.

• Like 1

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

Been chatting with Phil privately for a while and I have been pained by his disappointment since we started talking.  I feel bad too because I know that he wanted my input before he presented his experience on the forum but I guess I to had a difficult time understanding the real concern because when I read his experience, there were no photos attached. After reviewing his photos, I was surprised to hear he was unhappy but after talking with him for a while, I do understand that he wanted something different than what he received.   How exactly that was communicated to the clinic, I don’t know as I wasn’t privy to.   However, both parties of knowledge the miscommunication and I’m very pleased to hear that Dr. Devroye was offered a touch up procedure to tackle the area the patient is concerned about. 

Phil, I do hope and trust that you take the good doctor up on his offer and give him a chance to make you happy with your results.  

Best wishes,

Bill

On 11/16/2018 at 10:44 AM, Phil36fromaus said:

Hey @Phil36fromaus - I am sorry to hear about and see the hairline result and communication issue. I thought @Dr. Jean Devroye response was very good and I'm glad he offered a free touch up. Did you end up scheduling the touch up with Dr. Devroye? Wishing you the best man!

On 5/12/2019 at 1:30 PM, hairlineman said:

Hey @Phil36fromaus - I am sorry to hear about and see the hairline result and communication issue. I thought @Dr. Jean Devroye response was very good and I'm glad he offered a free touch up. Did you end up scheduling the touch up with Dr. Devroye? Wishing you the best man!

No, I sought another surgeon for my repair work. Thank you for your well wishes :)

I felt it necessary to explain why I chose not to take up Dr Devroye's offer for a free touch up given his supposedly "great response", if only as a means to try and move on from all this and not let it affect my life anymore.

UNETHICAL

• Dr Devroye performed surgery on me without properly marking out the recipient sites nor inspecting my donor (and after searching through literally thousands of cases I still have not found a single one on this forum where this has happened before). 

665490450_2018DrDevroye0DaysSRSide.png.61bf89ae2a780252d132a70b38e35aad.png875701136_Rightside.thumb.jpg.dc85570a1d35acd7d83a4cada843a506.jpg916404467_2018DrDevroye0DaysSLSide.png.50d925a93084b304aa8d073d53d6901c.png1329085640_leftsiderecipeint.png.b1afa2deb852b0ee138a615e7184e9e9.png

As seen by the pictures above the placement of the transplanted hair growth does not correspond to any markings made around the hairline. The burden of responsibility to follow basic surgical protocols rests solely on the doctor and should not rely on a patient to explain their goals verbally just because a doctor is running late. Even so if we are to allow Dr Devroye some leeway and let his own judgement as an experienced HT doctor dictate his actions why did he not make any attempt to integrate or match the densities between the transplanted and native areas? Or if he was in anyway confused about what I wanted why not just give me the damn marker pen and let me mark out the areas myself rather than blindly operate on me and hope for the best [did I seriously just need to write down all the reasons why a doctor needs to do his job]? As I said I have not found any other example of this anywhere else ... I even had to prompt Dr Devroye just to get him to look at my FUT scar and all he said was "good." It should be noted this apparent miscommunication never occurred during my other 2 HT's, and the majority of other clinics I consulted with after this surgery either responded with utter confusion or laughed in my face assuming I was joking. That's how goddamn stupid this was. Contrary to Dr Devroye’s statements here, my goals were in fact clearly stated in our initial email correspondence which I would be happy to post. I had also arrived the day before surgery at his clinic requesting a consultation to go over things but was told everything would be handled in pre-op. Clearly they weren't as he spent over 30 minutes with another patient before me whereas I was given less than 10 with the majority of that time spent taking photos. After that initial pre-op I didn't really see Dr Devroye until the end of the day.

• Suggested FUE to a strip patient during our skype consult because apparently it would be good for my film career; with this operation ended up depleting the core of my donor by 4700 grafts. I've since stopped working in film given the state of my hairline and am now in debt to cover the cost of my repair surgery. While I admit i am idiot for following Devroye's suggestion, I do have to question his ethical reasoning as to why he would even think it would beneficial for an FUT patient with above average scalp laxity to pursue FUE at this stage. Unless I want to risk another strip surgery I've estimated I lost access of at least 2k grafts due to the harvesting method employed (based on other estimations by a well respected clinic).
  • Said in pre-op that the operation would only be 1800-2000 grafts max, but while I was unconscious during surgery this somehow expanded to 2600 grafts (and unbeknownst to me effectively exhausting the remaining core of my donor). This FUE estimate was also referenced in our original consultation form; 1314134735_ScreenShot2019-08-02at2_50_49pm.png.331e5cf047b93ca69ba2e0333d292e63.pngWhile it might seem like I'm squabbling over a mere 600-800 grafts, given the nature of the graft placement (i.e. without a hairline) had the operation been more closely monitored and stopped at the agreed upon count, or a conversation enacted about where to place there extra grafts rather than randomly placed throughout, that would have made the difference between me being left with an easy repair job and the nightmare I had on my hands trying to solve the situation I was placed in. While Devroye claims;
    On 11/14/2018 at 1:14 AM, Dr. Jean Devroye said:

I do not think that 2583 grafts can be considered a megasession – on the contrary, in this specific case, I find this number perfectly appropriate to achieve a homogeneous density on the thinning areas, which represented a quite important surface. 

given his failure to address a homogeneous density on the thinning areas along the hairline I think his general judgment can be called into question being that the hairline is considered the most important surface.

• Was denied basic patient support past the first week I was In Belgium, with my emails requesting basic info either ignored or dismissed for weeks (what Devroye refers to in his post as complaining). Even Devroye’s assistant apologised for his behaviour. When I finally got a response from Dr Devroye I was ultimately told to wait for “remarkable improvements.” When those improvements did not come I was forced to join this forum in an attempt to understand what had happened while my preference would have been to always keep the matter private. But again, given what I had to go through I would happily provide all email exchanges that took place between me and Dr Devroye revealing his supposed patient follow-up proving that he does not in fact

always stand by my patients 

The final email I sent requesting information also went ignored, with his assistant apologising once more and informing me I would get a response a.s.a.p. Obviously I never got one.

•  

Allowed his trainee to make the incisions into the scar tissue to conceal my FUT scar (which apparently has a much lower survival rate and is largely dependant on surgical skill - see pic above). I was never informed of this and probably explains why the FUT scar was never concealed. Given I had prior email confirmation that Dr Devroye would be the only one making the incisions for surgery, this directly goes against my consent; 719996296_ScreenShot2019-08-02at3_14_43pm.png.84b58facdbca93bbc8a1ccaf2c10f7d0.png

INCOMPETENT

• On 11/14/2018 at 1:14 AM, Dr. Jean Devroye said:

I want also to point out that the patient has benefitted from a one-week follow-up at the clinic (unlike "standard" patients, who normally benefit from a post-operative check-up in the morning following their surgery, before their departure), since he didn't leave Belgium until the week after the procedure was performed.  

By Devroye's own admission he spent a week with me post-op and failed to notice ANY of the issues with the graft placement or state of my donor. Contrary to Devroye's claims, when Monica, his head nurse, initially told me about the hairline issue I immediately went to Devroye who examined me, said everything was “good” and walked off. The damage to the donor would have been obvious too given I had a type of shining effect spread out across parts of my donor which is apparently only common with larger sized scars (either stemming from the extractions themselves or the areas of over-harvesting, Im not entirely certain). Given I had spent a week coming in take photos and nothing was said I just naively assumed this was normal.
  • Devroye also appears to have placed hairs randomly in the crown which, once MPB progresses, will potentially leave me with the unnatural “halo of baldness” pattern in the vertex. Given Devroye made all 2600 incisions within what I would guess have been about a 10 minute period before leaving the clinic during the implantation process, I’m 99% certain no effort was given to establish hair direction to conform to the conventional whorl pattern. If I'm correct then what makes his actions unethical as well in that Devroye wrote a chapter on “Management of the crown” in the “Hair Restoration, an issue of facial plastic surgery clinics” book meaning he knowingly set me up for future issues once my MPB progresses.  
  • 149420070_crownpostop.png.cd28f8691ee965965a42a4c58c132baf.png[photo revealing grafts were clearly placed in the crown]

DISHONEST

• On 11/14/2018 at 1:14 AM, Dr. Jean Devroye said:

Based on the pictures posted, I honestly don't see any issue related with donor overharvesting or visible FUE extraction signs.

Dr Knudsen, who you sent me to consult with in Sydney on your behalf, was the one that provided you with the very pictures you fail to find issue with, and was the one that confirmed with me the areas of overharvesting and scarring. Once this information was passed onto you directly however I never heard from you again. Indeed I consulted with 17 clinics, most of which are on this network, who all verified the donor depletion and overharvesting based upon the same photos provided.
  • LIGHTINGLighting.png.a253eac4f92a42854f254d9679210e7b.pngThe pictures above were both taken before this operation, one at home, the other in Dr Devroye's clinic. While I understand the need to showcase one's results, seriously - the lighting is so soft that I don''t recognise my own hair here. In real life my hair was completely diffuse and see-through, and had it looked anything like this as shown in Devroye's clinic photos i wouldn't be wasting my time and money having a transplant. I've only ever encountered the type of full wall lighting systems found in Dr Devroye's clinic on film sets and modelling studios, industries in which I used to work prior to this procedure. Below are pictures taken pre-op in Devroye's clinic and then 8 months post-op, showing how the exact same untransplanted hairline looks vastly different in natural lighting, while the areas that where transplanted now appear identical in density (as if i didn't experience any growth whatsoever which was obviously not the case). Considering that his clinic photos were a deciding factor in my choice as a HT doctor, I'm still uncomfortable with how his results are presented to the general public. 

The Devroye I met the week I was in Belgium for surgery was a monosyllabic and entirely disinterested doctor from the one I had initially encountered during our Skype consult. The most in the way of any substantial feedback from Dr Devroye came from this forum thread, addressed only to the forum members, and while I was initially relieved to be acknowledged as his patient, was offended by almost every single statement knowing everything written to be entirely disingenuous or a blatant obfuscation of the truth. Had things just been kept private or Dr Devroye been more polite about the whole situation I might have considered returning to his clinic, but instead I chose to spend a fortune elsewhere just to avoid him.

For a surgery where an inferior donor harvesting method was suggested against my best interests (and then pursued without any consideration to my donor capacity), where the recipient sites themselves were never marked out and incisions were made either by someone other than the Dr I had consented to or whose placement would always obviously led me to an unnatural appearance requiring further surgery, where the extracted graft count agreed upon in pre-op was exceeded without my knowledge, and then for all of these things to somehow go unnoticed in my supposed

one-week follow-up at the clinic

put together all reads like an outright absurdity. I'm actually relieved the results aren't far worse. The cherry on top being once I began noticing the choices made by Devroye (not mistakes) I was ignored and denied any patient support whatsoever. In retrospect I should have gone to Turkey for the same surgery, as Devroye's staff had suggested, and achieved a far better result for a fraction of the price. The one thing Dr Devroye got right in his assessment however is that I am upset with myself, I am still upset that I failed to follow my own instincts and just walk out of his clinic before the valium took effect and I fell unconscious given my continued level of disgust at everything that happened.

I would of course be more than happy to provide all documentation, emails and photos supporting everything I say here is true. And thus my initial review remains the same; I can not recommend Dr Devroye's clinic despite the offer to rectify my situation. 

Thank you for reading.

• Like 1

Wow...this is very disheartening to hear about a patient going through all of this. I’m sincerely sorry you had to face such mental anguish as you describe. You seem like a genuinely good guy and I sincerely hope the community/moderators can help you in a fair manner.

I hope this thread is not locked or posts deleted as we saw in the spex/hasson thread. I fear it may go down that route.

1 hour ago, jj51702 said:

Wow...this is very disheartening to hear about a patient going through all of this. I’m sincerely sorry you had to face such mental anguish as you describe. You seem like a genuinely good guy and I sincerely hope the community/moderators can help you in a fair manner.

I hope this thread is not locked or posts deleted as we saw in the spex/hasson thread. I fear it may go down that route.

When have we ever deleted a patients thread? The issue with spex had nothing to do with a patient. Both of them edited out their own comments as well. 

Also, we have reached out to the surgeon previously, and honestly felt that Dr. Devroye stood by his work. That said, I really felt this could’ve been resolved with some communication. In the end, this could’ve all been avoided with communication. 

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

22 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

When have we ever deleted a patients thread? The issue with spex had nothing to do with a patient. Both of them edited out their own comments as well. 

Also, we have reached out to the surgeon previously, and honestly felt that Dr. Devroye stood by his work. That said, I really felt this could’ve been resolved with some communication. In the end, this could’ve all been avoided with communication. 

Read my post again I never said thread deleted. Anyways I think we should all focus on OP’s concerns.

On 8/5/2019 at 2:11 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

That said, I really felt this could’ve been resolved with some communication. In the end, this could’ve all been avoided with communication. 

No

Posted (edited)
On 8/5/2019 at 6:11 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

This could have been avoided if the doctor had done his job. 

This guy has a ravaged donor now and will likely have issues later in life when his midscalp and crown recesses, his career was ruined and he is now in debt just trying to fix what devroye did, but the Dr made a forum post so I guess it's cool.

How about he addresses the main issues? 

1. I seriously don't understand how his donor can look like that after 2500 grafts, what was the diameter of the punch used here and why? If it was below 1mm, why does the donor look overharvested? 

2. They took hundreds of more grafts than what was agreed upon, no excuse for this. I don't care if it was free, this is seriously frightening. A 100-200 grafts extra is understandable, but 800?

3. The fact that he didn't make all the incisions himself is absolutely despicable, this alone should be grounds for exclusion from this community, how do you justify this? 

Edited by Payam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@transplantedphil

I need to ask whether legal counsel has been consulted regarding your case? The reason I ask, is because anything a surgeon says on this public forum may be admissible in court and thus, surgeons aren’t able to publicly reply to said allegations. 

We cannot in good faith host a one-way discussion. So I’ll await your response. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/9/2019 at 5:26 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

@transplantedphil

I need to ask whether legal counsel has been consulted regarding your case? The reason I ask, is because anything a surgeon says on this public forum may be admissible in court and thus, surgeons aren’t able to publicly reply to said allegations. 

We cannot in good faith host a one-way discussion. So I’ll await your response. 

No I haven’t sought any legal counselI’ve never told anyone in real life what was going on this entire time, all I had was this forum. Finally, after almost a year of being here, a friend on this site was willing to listen to the whole story and convinced me to post something.

I left out a lot of details like just how rude Dr Devroye was the entire week I was there. When I stayed at his clinic the first night I noticed Dr Devroye was setting up and sleeping in one of the rooms himself … I felt sorry for him assuming he had some personal stuff going on. Given he was so aggravated by even the most basic questions I had I tried to keep them to a minimum, stupidly trusting in his abilities. His staff were also very confused as to why an Australian was in his clinic (they only ever get Belgian or UK patients apparently), and so I was questioned behind his back “why on earth did you come here? Why didn’t you go to Turkey … it’s cheaper” or “why didn’t you go to Dr Knudsen in Sydney.” Those comparisons did not make me feel like I was in a top tier clinic. 

The Dr who did the extractions was either named Stephanie or Christine (cant remember which), and she worked there 2 days a week.  She told me her favourite film was Rust and Bone after finding out I was an actor. She seemed quite excited to have extracted so many grafts from a patient and as she was saying goodbye told me how she wished to be hired full time by Dr Devroye. This was not a comforting thing to hear. She also seemed to have had a lot of trouble extracting the grafts from me and would have to push my head down against the chair just to do it - it was incredibly uncomfortable. Devroye came in after an hour or two after spending the morning with another patient and made 5-10 quick extractions (all without having to push my head down and even the punch made a different sound when he did it), then left. At this point I started to panic noticing this difference and wanted to leave mid surgery, but as my blood pressure skyrocketed I was given a valium only to awake at the end of the day and be told they had successfully extracted 2600 grafts. 

This other Dr (named either Stephanie/Christine) was also the one that did the incisions into my FUT scar, with Dr Devroye only supervising the first few then leaving. 

@Payam Those 800 grafts taken were not free ... I had to pay for them, as well as Devroye's overseas bank transfer fees 

Edited by transplantedphil
brevity

@transplantedphil

Ok I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't happening. I know there was some mention of it.

I just want to clarify some things did Dr. Devroye add any grafts to your previous strip scar? Also, how do you know that the other doctor was just a "trainee" was this disclosed to you at the time? There is another issue that has me a little confused, you mention that the areas weren't marked prior to surgery, but the picture you posted clearly shows surgical marks not only in the donor but the recipient as well. 

You have completely dismantled Dr. Devroye's character here, and I honestly don't think it is fair given the fact that YES communication was an issue. You had follow-up visits for a week in a row and didn't mention any of these issues once. I understand your frustration, believe me I am a patient so I know I would be upset if I wasn't satisfied with the outcome of my results. But based on the evidence, it's clear to me that this issue could have been resolved with better communication. If at that point, the surgeon washed his hands of you and didn't fix anything, then I would 100 % agree with you, but that wasn't the case. 

I think, I said this before, but this might be the weirdest case in the forum. 

1. The TO has some serious issues in communication (I am sorry but I think it is the truth). 

2. Nevertheless, an experienced clinic has to know, that the hairline is the most important part. Even if the patient wishes (or the clinic understands like that) to leave the hairline alone, the clinic should give a better recommendation.

3. Some of the topics here are hard to believe to happen in a such a top clinic, like: No inspection or marking of recipient, part time docs doing work etc. --> If only 50 % of the accusations are true this is an serious issue. 

4. The patient was at the clinic for several days after the surgery and the hairline topic was never addressed - This is so weird, I cannot even believe it (I am not saying it did not happen, but it sounds crazy). Especially for someone who seems to be not introverted (working in acting etc.). Even a complete laymen can see if the are grafts planted in the hairline or not.  

Summary, I still have a hard time to get all facts together, but even if the patient is completely confused this CANNOT happen to an experienced clinic, full stop. 

The donor is the similar irritating and hard to understand: It is not a completely botch job but it is below average. This clinic is known for their new extraction method which more and more clinics use nowadays and the patient seems like a good healer. What happened here? With some clear pics of the donor directly post surgery we might understand, if the pattern was bad, the punch was to big or sth else. 

@transplantedphil, I am feeling for you (even if you might have found peace after your latest surgery), but I really recommend to stop writing that much words and let the pictures to the talking. Look at some proper presentations from clinics etc. before, shaved before, intra, immediately post op, etc. from all sides. Pics tell more than thousands of (your) words. 

• Like 2

On 8/9/2019 at 7:46 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I just want to clarify some things did Dr. Devroye add any grafts to your previous strip scar? Also, how do you know that the other doctor was just a "trainee" was this disclosed to you at the time? There is another issue that has me a little confused, you mention that the areas weren't marked prior to surgery, but the picture you posted clearly shows surgical marks not only in the donor but the recipient as well. 

You have completely dismantled Dr. Devroye's character here, and I honestly don't think it is fair given the fact that YES communication was an issue. You had follow-up visits for a week in a row and didn't mention any of these issues once. I understand your frustration, believe me I am a patient so I know I would be upset if I wasn't satisfied with the outcome of my results. But based on the evidence, it's clear to me that this issue could have been resolved with better communication. If at that point, the surgeon washed his hands of you and didn't fix anything, then I would 100 % agree with you, but that wasn't the case. 

No, only the other doctor made the incisions. I assumed she was a trainee given how Devroye seemed to be supervising or demonstrating things to her. The pictures do not show any hairline markings, nor markings where the transplanted growth occurred. 

This is about a doctor took advantage at every turn. I'm not frustrated, this was about finally telling my story which i have been repressing for over a year now. The reason why I consulted 17 clinics wasnt because I had trouble finding a doc to fix me, it was because I was terrified at the idea of letting someone else touch me again. I even declined Dr K's help initially because if it. I didn't trust anyone.

For those confused here are the series of events;

• Dr Devroye skipped a formal consultation period and rushed me into surgery
  • had another doc perform surgery on me without telling me (bait and switch)
  • Upon realising this I panicked and planned to leave but was given a valium to help calm me. I then fell unconscious where the extracted graft count agreed upon in pre-op was allowed to escalate from 1800-2000 grafts to 2600 grafts (effectively exhausting my donor and making me pay for the extra grafts)
  • Devroye made the incisions and somehow "forgot" to give me a hairline
  • had another doctor make incisions into my FUT scar going against my prior consent
  • He then took photos with me for a week post-op with the intent of publishing them (and incredibly failed to notice any issues with my HT)
  • Once I returned home and saw what was actually done during surgery (I have a visual impairment) was denied any patient support
  • And after writing this review here Dr Devroye somehow managed to deny any wrongdoing, blatantly lied to maintain his reputation, and then blamed everything on a miscommunication error 

Fair point @Gasthoerer Pictures doing the talking from now on

(PLEASE REMEMBER ALL PHOTOS ARE TAKEN WITH SOFT LIGHTING)

Immediate post-op

1 week post-op (these areas were the shiniest)

Hairline 7 days. You can already see the gap presenting itself

I might be stupid but I'm honestly not understanding the response to these concerns. It appears the OP's hairline is pretty clearly unnatural and at least sub par and worse so does his donor. And the reason given for this is that he requested density added behind hairline?!! But hey you there were communication issues so???

I mean there are worse outcomes (including mine, not this surgeon for clarity) but can we honestly not understand what OP is saying and his concerns, I cant really comment on communication issues they might have existed but surely we dont need to tell surgeons to make sure my hairline looks natural???? Is that seriously the suggestion?

And, this is jusy conjecture really, but honestly if he mentioned his unhappiness (and it seems he did anyway) would he have been told anything other than omg wait 6 months then assess?? From personal experience I know what it's like to have doubts and ask questions but be told it's fine and to wait and feel it's all on you. Again, it could be much worse, the hairline can be fixed and I do at least acknowledge the doctor for recognising it and offering a free surgery. That's good. The hairline will be fixed but it seems like the donor is the real concerm. 

• Thanks 1

The miscommunication error came from the pre-op when I explained how I liked the look and design or the hairline created by my first surgeon Dr Konior, and how when I use toppik i usually leave the very front alone and add the fibres behind it starting from around 1cm. Devroye never asked any questions, just marked out stuff with a pen quickly, never showed me anything with a mirror to confirm, and i  suddenly I was undergoing surgery with another doctor.

That was the communication error for which I have always blamed myself for. Devroye came so highly recommended that I just trusted he knew what he was doing. 

it’s not rocket science that a HT surgeon should always keep the hairline looking natural, no matter what the patient thinks they want... this whole thread is disappointing, from results to responses. i feel for the patient

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, hairlossPA said:

it’s not rocket science that a HT surgeon should always keep the hairline looking natural, no matter what the patient thinks they want... this whole thread is disappointing, from results to responses. i feel for the patient

Thanks

Edited by transplantedphil