Phil36fromaus

Dr Devroye 8 MONTH REVIEW (FUE 2583 Grafts)

DR DEVROYE: 8 MONTHS FUE 2583 Grafts Review

BACKGROUND: 36 years old, from Australia, work In music and film in Europe. Proscar and Rogaine

Previous Operations: Dr Konior: FUT 3000 grafts in 2015 

GOALS: I just wanted to maintain my current appearance, with the “front of my hairline ...my main concern and where i have the most difficulty styling.” I have been pushing my hair up since I was 15 (so over 20 years now), so much so the hairs naturally stick up that way and just wanted to maintain my current appearance. 

Pre-surgery consultation photos; 

1054629651_20171front.png.8a15209226a9411714bd198dda9b6c70.png1155731112_20172top.png.ba98fb9efea2c3c30fa61f568b93154b.png225128118_20173sides.png.9f46d92a4e6355a36c8f90e09e3dd0b9.png398964153_20174Back.png.781e59d9f3377831c846b2af13056059.png

My concerns with the surgery are listed below;

1. There was no physical inspection of the donor area, even though it was listed in the consultation form as "essential".
  2. No markings were made on my scalp where the hairs were to be placed for surgery, so the approach for surgery was left entirely to a quick conversation in which I believed I failed to explain things properly (I was admittedly nervous). I basically tried explaining how I liked the initial appearance and placement of my hairline area (created by my first HT doctor), and that I wanted to add density behind it. I wanted to get rid off the see through look I had as my hair had thinned out. The density and exact placement of the hairs then ended up being left entirely to Dr Devroye’s discretion, something of which I have repeatedly tried to clarify and am now stuck seeking another surgery wanting to fix. 
  3. I was never told who would be extracting my grafts or their level of experience. The clinic has two operating rooms so I did not end up being operated on by Dr Devroye himself but left with another Dr who turned out to have only 5 years experience and only worked there part time. Had I known this beforehand I would not have agreed to surgery. I only saw Dr Devroye intermittently; he came in to check up on things, later to extract a few grafts, and at the end when he made the incisions into the recipient site. I was admittedly uncomfortable with how the other Dr extracted the grafts compared to Dr Devroye (she would go over the same area repeatedly on my scalp and with much more force than Dr Devroye) which I believe is the cause of my scarring and over harvesting. It also troubled me that even though I had prior confirmation that Dr Devroye made all of the surgical incisions himself, she was the one that ended up making the incisions to hide my FUT scar.  As there was no inspection of the donor area this might be why some small bald patches that formed underneath my first HT scar went unnoticed and thus were never concealed properly during this surgery (see below pic)331848174_FUTscar.thumb.jpg.22e5b7515d61ad418554b80f6e739469.jpg
  4. There was no discussion of where I wanted any extra grafts harvested that day to be placed. It was estimated we would harvest only around 1800-2000 grafts with the FUE but ended up doing a mega-session of 2583 grafts. As the design and placement of the transplanted hairs ended up being left to Dr Devroye’s discretion without my direct input, so in turn he only added more density to areas where I would not have chosen them to be myself.
  5. No direct access to medical advice following surgery with no resolution to my concerns. The following day after surgery I was told by a nurse I shouldn’t experience any forehead swelling because I didn’t have any hairs placed near my hairline. Confused by this statement I immediately asked Dr Devroye to inspect me where I was reassured that everything looked “good” and not to worry. The next month I noticed my early hair growth and contacted Dr Devroye asking again about my hairline (which revealed itself to be neglected much further back then i would have chosen for myself), and another email about the state of my donor area given its sparse and scarred appearance. I was replied to by his assistant and said my messages would be forwarded on, and when I heard nothing again, sent more photos just in case they forgot about me. I finally got a reply 17 days later telling me I was just experiencing shock loss (it wasn't) and telling me to wait for “remarkable improvements” (with my question about the hairline ignored). At the 5 month stage I was so confused what was going on I even doubted the success of the procedure itself, thinking that no hairs were growing based upon the appearance of my hairline, only to realise i was just continuing to thin and recede and the transplanted hairs was further back than i would have chosen them to be myself. The last time I contacted Dr Devroye in August I asked if he could please confirm if any hairs were placed in my hairline, but that email went unacknowledged. Dr Devroye suggested I consult with Dr Knudsen in Sydney as I was unable to come into the clinic in Brussels, where Dr Knudsen confirmed there were areas of over harvesting and scarring in my donor area, and the entire hairline was indeed neglected going back 1-2cm. I gave permission for Dr Knudsen to consult with Dr Devroye about my case at the ISHRS in October with plans to meet again when he returned to Sydney, but after repeated emails to Dr Knudsen I have never had any response, nor have I had any type of follow up (ever in fact) initiated by Dr Devroye. 
  6. Extra fees. As an overseas patient there was an issue with my payment in that it was 20 euros short with each transfer; turns out Dr Devroye's bank charges them 20 euros to receive my payments from Australia, so I was instructed by the office manager to make up for it. I requested another banking option but none was offered. So my budget for surgery ended up being the inflated cost of the mega session of 2583 grafts (not the 2000 like I thought), Dr Devroye's added bank fees of 80 euros, on top of my own my bank transfer fees. 

RESULTS:  

1467921135_FrontMarkingsBA.png.5bae1f900c747895dc19937e24f80560.png1815377072_TopMarkingsBA.png.88b21193478ff6624135c0f4a13326a1.png

As you can see from the surgical photos, the hairs weren't placed nearly close enough to the hairline as I would have liked, nor are they symmetrical (2cm on my right side, and 1cm at the front and left side), with way too much density overall so the results are like I have two different hairlines. 

923663023_ScreenShot2018-11-09at9_25_38am.png.6e75c408ee2e6fba459c30c36d1da513.png186102946_ScreenShot2018-11-09at9_24_44am.png.7b4be22603788b2db172512bbfc63482.png1894095725_ScreenShot2018-11-09at9_25_08am.png.67d39f08496fb4a5af5c8fe9ff451d70.png20181109_020156.thumb.jpg.379c5dcecb6630d8871fa0d144d13423.jpg

The FUE (suggested by Dr Devroye in order to cut my hair short) was also the wrong choice as I could cut my hair much shorter with the FUT (around 7mm). I now have visible areas of scarring and over harvesting if I try and keep my hair length under 11mm (photos are taken at 7mm)

5 MONTHS DONOR 7mm length (in sun).png5 months donor scar.jpg6 MONTHS DONOR 7mm length.JPG

My belief is the state of my donor area is the result of the Dr who performed on me pushing too hard down on my scalp for the extractions, from what i have discerned talking to other doctors and my own investigations. I don’t believe my donor area was harvested very carefully (and I have been told by some looks depleted and they are cautious about future surgeries), so given I never formally agreed upon the placement of the hairs in the recipient zone do not like that I have had my future options taken away from me. I am now forced to seek another surgery in order to address the areas neglected by this surgery with a limited donor supply as it is, just to create a more uniform appearance as I continue to bald in my hairline.

Based upon my experience then I cannot recommend Dr Devroye’s clinic finding his approach overly casual (inadequate consultation period with no pre surgery markings or donor area examination) and a bit disinterested (no advice about the expectations or my goals for surgery, multiple patients seen at the same time with another Dr handling the majority of my case, with my concerns post-op never addressed). I actually regret having the surgery and preferred how my hair looked beforehand; at least then I had a more natural balding pattern and I still had more options on how to pursue any future balding. I just hope the next surgery I have proves to be a more positive experience.

Thanks, Phil.

Edited by Phil36fromaus
Original post unclear, tried to make it easier to read with pictures highlighting my areas of concern

Are the last three photos your hair now? I honestly don’t see an issue with the results, but admittedly the top photos look very good as well. Have you communicated your dissatisfaction with Dr. Devroye? 

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

Melvin- Editorial Assistant and Forum Co-Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @htrestoration FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

The last 3 photos were taken today. My hairline was actually better in the very first photos as I have only continued to thin and recede, and will obviously continue to do so making Dr Devroye's work even more prominent. 

Dr Devroye would be aware of my dissatisfaction given I have been emailing him since April with questions about my hairline, but he would only reply occasionally, and then finally said I should come in for a consultation. As I am in Australia he recommended that I could see one of his colleagues.

I had a consultation with the Australian Dr in September who confirmed the hairline was neglected and was going to discuss the matter with Dr Devroye last month at the ISHRS. I have emailed the Australian Dr about 5 times since with new photos and questions but have never gotten any response. 

Please private message me your name and date of surgery, I will reach out to Dr. Deveroye, so he can respond publicly to this thread. 

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

Melvin- Editorial Assistant and Forum Co-Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @htrestoration FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

Hi just wondering why u decided to not go with konior again given ur first experience? I’m guessing wait time?

Phil,

I know we’ve been speaking privately but you did not send me your photos. In looking at your photos, I’m honestly surprised to hear that you’re disappointed. Your hair looks great both before and after surgery. Given that you’re a young guy, I would think that any ongoing recession or hair loss has to do with the progression of male pattern baldness and nothing to do  with your hair transplant. 

That said, we do need to contact your doctor and you will need to give him permission to share his side of the story. 

Please do provide Melvin with your full name and date of surgery so he can contact your doctor to provide his side of the story. 

Thanks,

Bill

I am the managing publisher of the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog and this Hair Loss Forum. I am also a 4 time hair transplant patient. View my patient hair loss website to view my entire hair restoration journey with photos.

Remember, true beauty radiates from within, not from the skin.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

1 hour ago, Bill - Managing Publisher said:

Please do provide Melvin with your full name and date of surgery so he can contact your doctor to provide his side of the story. Bill

Did that when melvin asked, thanks

8 hours ago, jj51702 said:

Hi just wondering why u decided to not go with konior again given ur first experience? I’m guessing wait time?

Yep waiting time, had a career opportunity and didn't want to wait the year.

Phil,

We’ve been speaking privately but I want to add some additional input here. I now understand your disappointment but it seems to me that your disappointment as related to the ongoing progression of male pattern baldness and not the hair transplant. By your own admission, the small area you are concerned about  that makes up maybe a roll or two of natural hair follicles never had hair transplanted into it so it is not permanent hair. There is nothing that any doctor can do about that. 

By the looks of your hair prior to your second procedure, the area you are concerned about now had a lot of hair. So Dr. Devroye Wouldn’t have been able to place hair there at the time of the procedure. But now that you’re losing that hair, I can understand you’re disappointed but that’s not a disappointment as a result of the procedure but disappointment as a result of losing more natural hair because of the progression of male pattern baldness.  

The end of the day, I would be a little disappointed and upset too but not the Dr. or the results. I would just be upset that male pattern baldness is an enemy that requires ongoing treatment. 

Of course, you have a choice. At this point, you could either let that hair naturally fall out and keep your existing transplanted hairline which in my opinion still looks great or, you can get another procedure with Dr course, you have a choice. At this point, you could either let that hair naturally fall out and keep your existing transplanted hairline which in my opinion still looks great or, you can get another procedure with Dr. Devroye  or another doctor of your choice  to lower your existing hairline back to where it was originally. 

The second option comes with additional risks. If hair loss continues which it seems like it is doing that now, you may lose more hair behind the transplant area  and as a result, require yet another procedure. And if you use too many grafts  re-creating a low hairline, you’ll have fewer grafts and reserves for future work that may be needed due to more hair loss. 

in my opinion, I would speak to Dr. Konior and Dr. Devroye way, both of which are excellent doctors  and get their opinion about what they think you should do moving forward.  Some of your decision making should be based on how much toner how are you have available for future work in the event you need it behind the transplanted area.

I am really sorry you’re disappointed but I don’t see this as a flaw of the procedure bought a disappointment that hair loss is progressive and continues despite hair transplant surgery. 

Best wishes, 

Bill

I am the managing publisher of the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog and this Hair Loss Forum. I am also a 4 time hair transplant patient. View my patient hair loss website to view my entire hair restoration journey with photos.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Pre surgery photos Marchimage.png.6592e7b9f8955cdc14979a6ec8a60d78.pngimage.png.8aef575c2a9dffdabb6ed2903953e3dd.pngimage.png.1ffaaf4abd426fde70284c1e3edf6335.png

8 months post surgery November

image.png.c724983bd5e933603f2bd2adad1d3d8a.pngimage.png.df6ec7c7a89ae20a17a7b0dce1123e29.pngimage.png.14e6a6330c84eb76da4c9aef3d9e375e.png 

Edited by Phil36fromaus
Reposted photos for side by side comparison

On 11/9/2018 at 4:22 AM, Bill - Managing Publisher said:

I now understand your disappointment but it seems to me that your disappointment as related to the ongoing progression of male pattern baldness and not the hair transplant.

No its about the exact placement and density of hairs used in the operation. My MPB was predictable.

So Dr. Devroye Wouldn’t have been able to place hair there at the time of the procedure.

My online consultation and Skype call all reveal my intentions for surgery which I listed above under my Goals section. If Dr Devroye was not comfortable with performing on me I should not have been accepted for surgery in the first place. 

in my opinion still looks great or, you can get another procedure with Dr. Devroye  or another doctor of your choice  to lower your existing hairline back to where it was originally. 

Thanks. My current hair is ok-ish, just sucks trying to style it given my hair naturally sticks up even without any product, which only exposes all the thinning of my scalp. As I have potential work situations where I am forced to work under harsh lighting that makes this a pain in the ass. That, and given my current rate of balding, will only make the newly transplant hairs placed by Dr Devroye my new hairline which is why I am forced to seek another surgery so soon just to maintain a normal appearance.

I do not plan to return to Dr Devroye given the simple fact he appeared unreachable after surgery. I don’t think a Dr should take 17 days to respond to a patient’s basic medical questions immediately following surgery, but maybe I expect too much. I would prefer to find a doctor in the future who does not make me feel ignored (this did not just happen once)

I am really sorry you’re disappointed but I don’t see this as a flaw of the procedure bought a disappointment that hair loss is progressive and continues despite hair transplant surgery. 

No there was a flaw in communication. It’s always bothered me how well I articulated my goals and whether they were clear enough on the day of surgery - I admit I was nervous and am not sure if that was an impediment. The fact that Dr Devroye was with another patient most of the day too was also never going to work much in my favour.

Thank you for your thoughtful responses. I agree male pattern baldness is the basic cause of everything, it’s why we are all here, but my post was more about the communication and interaction I had with Dr Devroye at the time of surgery (i.e. my patient experience) and the fact that my results would require attention only 8 months following (technically 1 day following when I suspected this had happened). 

The surgery itself was not a failure as I have more hair, but it also did not address why I got surgery in the first place - and therein lies the problem. 

Edited by Phil36fromaus

This was preventable and predictable, so what I’ve learnt for the future is that I will not settle for anything less than a doctor that does not inspect me medically before surgery, that is willing to take the time and draw up plans with me, and then further take me through the expectations and limitations for surgery, who will then perform on me themselves (or at least be present in the room throughout), and makes themselves available for help afterwards. None of that happened during my last surgery and so I believe that is why I did not get the results I wanted. But maybe my standards are too high.

It would seem some Doctors need to learn manners ,and if a patient contacts them with concerns they should be addressed as soon as possible, that's presuming it's true of course, and I don't see why the OP would lie as he is obviously a genuine patient of Dr Devroye ,in my opinion how a Doctor treats a patient post op speaks volumes about the Doctor and how the clinic is run in general .

No, your expextations are no too high in terms of pre-surgery consultation. That the treated area was not marked before is unexcaptable. On the other hand, it is really (!) difficult to follow your story. Maybe, this lack of communications skills ware partly responsible for the result.

49 minutes ago, Gasthoerer said:

No, your expextations are no too high in terms of pre-surgery consultation. That the treated area was not marked before is unexcaptable. On the other hand, it is really (!) difficult to follow your story. Maybe, this lack of communications skills ware partly responsible for the result.

I apologise for my lack of clarity. I agree my communication skills are indeed lacking (I spent a week trying to write everything up and I believe I still failed to make this clear - I will admit I am not very smart) which is why I believe making simple markings of where I wanted the hairs to be placed pre-surgery would have avoided all of this.

52 minutes ago, Mick50 said:

It would seem some Doctors need to learn manners ,and if a patient contacts them with concerns they should be addressed as soon as possible, that's presuming it's true of course, and I don't see why the OP would lie as he is obviously a genuine patient of Dr Devroye ,in my opinion how a Doctor treats a patient post op speaks volumes about the Doctor and how the clinic is run in general .

I would be happy to share the emails and photos I sent in April to Dr Devroye following surgery, the responses sent by his assistant who apologised for and promised to get Dr Devroye's to address my concerns, and the actual responses which came a few days later but failed to even acknowledge my concerns. Alternatively you can ask Dr Devroye to check my correspondence with him from April 4th to April 21st

Edited by Phil36fromaus

By the looks of your hair prior to your second procedure, the area you are concerned about now had a lot of hair. So Dr. Devroye Wouldn’t have been able to place hair there at the time of the procedure. But now that you’re losing that hair, I can understand you’re disappointed but that’s not a disappointment as a result of the procedure but disappointment as a result of losing more natural hair because of the progression of male pattern baldness.  

It's the lighting used at Dr Devroye's clinic. Here is a side by side comparison of a photo taken of the top of my hair at home in Nov 2017, then at Dr Devroye's clinic in March 2018, then at Dr Knudsen's clinic in Sydney Sep 2018.

It looks like I have a full head of hair in March, but not anywhere else. So by the March standards even I would argue for that patient not to undergo any procedure. But my hair was pretty much see through in real life

Side By Side.png

Edited by Phil36fromaus

Phil, the bottom line is, you are unhappy because he placed the follicular units behind the initial transplanted area instead of the tiny line in front of the hairline that frankly, looks very sick prior to your second procedure. Now, I do understand that there was clearly a communication concern and I would be upset about that as well. I don’t know who is responsible for it, I do believe that the doctor should have been a bit more responsive in making sure he understood your goals and brunch. But at the same time, your hair in front of the transplanted hairline So I don’t know how he could’ve transplanted any hair there. You essentially now have a full looking head of hair that style is very nice. Your current hairline frames your face very nicely and you look great. The only real issue appears to be the communication which as we’ve already discussed privately and publicly, seems to be something you wish you could have corrected. That’s not to blame you for anything necessarily, but it’s also not necessarily to blame the doctor.

The other concerns you’ve listed above were not concerned you shared with me. So I’m not exactly sure why your listing the technicians experience as a concern when unless you’ve asked specifically about the technicians  experienced, it’s not necessarily his job to tell you that. So I’m really not sure why you listen that as a problem or concerned when you haven’t even told me that privately.    I kind of feel like you’ve added that in order to solidify the fact that you’re upset but in reality, it has nothing to do with your concern. 

Privately, you told me that the only concern really had was that  The area in front of the trans-planting hairline from the first procedure wasn’t touched. The other staff seems to be added for whatever reason and I don’t understand it. 

best,

Bill

7 minutes ago, Bill - Managing Publisher said:

Phil, the bottom line is, you are unhappy because he placed the follicular units behind the initial transplanted area instead of the tiny line in front of the hairline that frankly, looks very sick prior to your second procedure.

The other concerns you’ve listed above were not concerned you shared with me. So I’m not exactly sure why your listing the technicians experience as a concern when unless you’ve asked specifically about the technicians  experienced, it’s not necessarily his job to tell you that. So I’m really not sure why you listen that as a problem or concerned when you haven’t even told me that privately.    I kind of feel like you’ve added that in order to solidify the fact that you’re upset but in reality, it has nothing to do with your concern. 

Privately, you told me that the only concern really had was that  The area in front of the trans-planting hairline from the first procedure wasn’t touched. The other staff seems to be added for whatever reason and I don’t understand it. 

best,

Bill

That tiny line is = 500-1000 grafts = 10k in surgery costs

8 minutes ago, Bill - Managing Publisher said:

.The other concerns you’ve listed above were not concerned you shared with me. So I’m not exactly sure why your listing the technicians experience as a concern when unless you’ve asked specifically about the technicians  experienced, it’s not necessarily his job to tell you that. So I’m really not sure why you listen that as a problem or concerned when you haven’t even told me that privately.    I kind of feel like you’ve added that in order to solidify the fact that you’re upset but in reality, it has nothing to do with your concern. 

best,

Bill

I've always had 2 concerns; the donor site harvesting (see my other post at 6 months) and the nature of the hairline. I can send you my original emails in April to Devroye if you would like.

I listed the dr's level of experience in my original post for a reason, and only upon further consultation with other doctors have i asked them about extraction methods and had reason to be concerned.  

The hairline is what I need to address going forward, it's the priority. I can't do anything about the donor area, but I've always been worried about its status. I can send you emails of the doctors Ive consulted in the past 5 weeks who have all commented on it if you like. And if I wasn't bothered by the donor area why did I include photos of it in every post?

Perhaps rather speculating on trying to understand my issues yourself Bill (you seem to be focused on how good my appearance is now, the appearance of my hair in Dr Devroye's photos, or my general MPB), maybe it is best we wait for Dr Devroye's responses, of which Ive listed some basic questions;

1. Why was there no donor area inspection? 

2. Why was there no pre surgical markings made as to placement of the hair and was ultimately left to your discretion? 

3. Why when I initially challenged your placement of the hairs after surgery I was told everything looked "good" and have never gotten any confirmation as to its exact placement since?

3. If my surgery went absolutely according to plan, and the intention was to miss the first 2cm of my hairline area (and somehow all records of emails and skype calls previously, and my questions afterwards all ceased to exist), why was there no conversation about the expectations the results of this surgery would entail in regards to any future hair loss? Would this approach not just end up in the need for another surgery anyway just to create a normal appearance?

4. As the surgery ended up a mega session, why (given the limitations of the donor supply) was there no further discussion or reconsideration given to the placement of my hair? Would this not lessen even further any options I have fo address my MPB in the future?

5. Is it normal to not be able to not cut your hair under 11mm after an FUE before noticeable issues? If this is not normal what caused them? Was there an issue with the extraction methods of the Dr who operated on me? And what are my options to address it now?

6. Why was there never been any post surgery follow-up initiated on behalf of you or your clinic? 

In my opinion the problem is very obvious, OP just didn't explain it very well initially and the first batch of photos he provided don't show the problem. It very clearly looks like there are two separate hairlines due to the high level of density added behind the frontal hairline, and it doesn't look natural because of this. The lighting in the Devroye clinic photos is obviously very soft and doesn't show this but the others do.

image.png.c724983bd5e933603f2bd2adad1d3d8a.png

20181109_020156.thumb.jpg.379c5dcecb6630d8871fa0d144d13423.jpg

186102946_ScreenShot2018-11-09at9_24_44am.png.7b4be22603788b2db172512bbfc63482.png

You can't argue this looks natural. Its evidently see-through and because of the higher density behind it very clearly looks transplanted.The problem is made worse by the fact that even more density behind this area was added (behind it looks great) which makes the separation more distinctive. I don't see 2600 grafts worth of improvement overall either.

I think Devroye's approach of adding density to areas behind the hairline was valid, but very clearly the hairline was a problem and perhaps the lighting in the clinic didn't make this obvious. If the transplant looks unnatural in daylight, then there is clearly an issue that should be addressed. What I suspect is that the clinic lighting is didn't show this, or perhaps Devroye thought the hair at the front of hairline was native hair and would eventually fall out and expose the thick hairline behind it. Also seems like there was a clear communication issue and Devroye didn't deliberately avoid his wishes. 

Either way, I do think its obvious, I don't understand how one can't see the issue. Should be said I also don't think its a tough fix or that its some sort of grave error either, hard to tell the exact width of the area but I suspect its only 600-800 grafts or so to get it looking perfect. But considering the amount of grafts in this surgery, the donor depletion especially around the scar shouldn't have happened either and there's no getting around the fact that it was poor aesthetic judgement on behalf of Devroye to create such a distinction of density between the frontal area and behind it. Its a reasonably wide of separation so it should have been an obvious issue.

Not much can be done but opt for a touch-up with a top-hairline surgeon, shouldn't be a huge issue but obviously the time and money lost is unfortunate. I do think its a clear L of a Devroye case in terms of growth and shows poor judgement on his behalf by not addressing the very front of the hairline even if he didn't deliberately avoid the patients wishes. 

Edited by JeanLDD
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, JeanLDD said:

In my opinion the problem is very obvious, OP just didn't explain it very well initially and the first batch of photos he provided don't show the problem. It very clearly looks like there are two separate hairlines due to the high level of density added behind the frontal hairline, and it doesn't look natural because of this. The lighting in the Devroye clinic photos is obviously very soft and doesn't show this but the others do.

image.png.c724983bd5e933603f2bd2adad1d3d8a.png

20181109_020156.thumb.jpg.379c5dcecb6630d8871fa0d144d13423.jpg

186102946_ScreenShot2018-11-09at9_24_44am.png.7b4be22603788b2db172512bbfc63482.png

You can't argue this looks natural. Its evidently see-through and because of the higher density behind it very clearly looks transplanted.The problem is made worse by the fact that even more density behind this area was added (behind it looks great) which makes the separation more distinctive. I don't see 2600 grafts worth of improvement overall either.

I think Devroye's approach of adding density to areas behind the hairline was valid, but very clearly the hairline was a problem and perhaps the lighting in the clinic didn't make this obvious. If the transplant looks unnatural in daylight, then there is clearly an issue that should be addressed. What I suspect is that the clinic lighting is didn't show this, or perhaps Devroye thought the hair at the front of hairline was native hair and would eventually fall out and expose the thick hairline behind it. Also seems like there was a clear communication issue and Devroye didn't deliberately avoid his wishes. 

Either way, I do think its obvious, I don't understand how one can't see the issue. Should be said I also don't think its a tough fix or that its some sort of grave error either, hard to tell the exact width of the area but I suspect its only 600-800 grafts or so to get it looking perfect. But considering the amount of grafts in this surgery, the donor depletion especially around the scar shouldn't have happened either and there's no getting around the fact that it was poor aesthetic judgement on behalf of Devroye to create such a distinction of density between the frontal area and behind it. Its a reasonably wide of separation so it should have been an obvious issue.

Not much can be done but opt for a touch-up with a top-hairline surgeon, shouldn't be a huge issue but obviously the time and money lost is unfortunate. I do think its a clear L of a Devroye case in terms of growth and shows poor judgement on his behalf by not addressing the very front of the hairline even if he didn't deliberately avoid the patients wishes. 

Agreed. The “double hairline” appearance from the most recent transplant is quite clear and does not seem to be due to progressing mpb. 

Absolutely agreed. It doesn’t look natural at all to me. Density isn’t there and line looks too perfect maybe? Unless I am getting this wrong, it looks like this gentleman looked like he had a much better hairline prior to this surgery?

22 hours ago, ILtrooper said:

Absolutely agreed. It doesn’t look natural at all to me. Density isn’t there and line looks too perfect maybe? Unless I am getting this wrong, it looks like this gentleman looked like he had a much better hairline prior to this surgery?

I preferred how my hair looked before surgery. It's why I regret my surgery Dr Devroye and feel it necessary to get another one now.  

My appearance, ironically enough, actually looked better 2 months ago due to the fact the newly transplanted hairs had only just begun to grow (see 6 month pic below), so the issue was less noticeable.

205214369_6MONTHSHAIRLINEFRONT.thumb.jpg.f0af2314338d96c07ea28783f34628d8.jpg

1086233367_ScreenShot2018-11-12at8_43_55pm.thumb.png.7017649d1d9f200a11f991088baa7258.png

BIG THANK YOU (!!!!!!!!) to JeanLDD for being able to write up in 10 mins what took me a week of painstaking consideration and still couldn't explain properly.

Edited by Phil36fromaus
  • Like 1