Dutasteride V Finasteride

Dutasteride is one of those drugs where on paper it outperforms finasteride. However, after browsing hair loss forums for 13 years I’ve seen only a few cases where people benefited more from dut after trying fin. But that’s not saying much since that’s all anecdotal.

ive tried dut roughly 3 different times in the last 6 years or so and I can’t say it did any better than fin for me. I started losing ground on fin after about 5 years. However dut gave me more sude effects- it threw my Hormonal blood test results off on a few measurements. I haven’t retested since dropping it roughly 7 months ago. Again., sides differ with everybody and just because I experienced them doesn’t mean someone else will.

• Administrators

In my opinion, Dutasteride is a very powerful anti-androgen. The FDA reviewed it as a possible hair loss treatment, but did not approve it and I believe for good reason. Some guys take it with no side effects, but then again some people smoke until they are 80 and never get lung cancer, doesn't mean the majority of us will be the same way. DHT is still a necessary hormone for most men and Dutasteride inhibits the production almost entirely. Finasteride is safe to use and works for the majority of men, I would advise to stick with Finasteride.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.