Hair Transplant Hair Shedding Is It Normal?

• Administrators

I get this question literally every week, but the more experienced members will know that this is completely normal. However, this is a good topic to share with friends or people who are interested in having a hair transplant, because the majority of people are under the impression that the hair just keeps growing after it is implanted. The truth is, hair shedding is part of the process.

Hair Transplant Shedding Is It Normal?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Dude, are you standing over my shoulder?  lol

I'm 2 weeks out and there it was on my notebook tonight.  I'd say 40 hairs are laying there.  

I for one am glad.  I'd like them to fall out, me look like I have over the past 3 years and then slowly grow in over the winter.  Looking forward to it.

I am at the 2 month mark, and while I didn't see any shedding, I can also not see the grafts, but I can feel them as kind of prickly little suckers.  I really don't remember the shedding in 2011 either.  Is it at all possible that they don't shed for everybody?  Because of a post about blood thinners I was wondering if being on a blood thinner could effect the growth of the grafts in a positive way.  I was on blood thinners for both my transplants.

Edited by Dazed

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

For shedding to happen, there has to be a lot of native hair around the area being transplanted.  This hair typically returns 3-4 months post procedure. 

Based on what you've written, it seems you are referring to what happens right after a procedure.  See below,

During the procedure the graft comes with stubble as the donor area was shaven or trimmed down depending on the technique, FUE or FUT.  This stubble is what is used to transport the graft to the recipient area.  In the ensuing days the crust forms but the initial hair, for lack of a better description, continues growing.  At about 7 days, depending on the post op instructions given, you are asked to wash off the crust.  At this point, typically, the initial hair will also drop.  (Many patients, at this point, feel they've lost the grafts).  Sometimes the hair will not drop and will continue growing.  This just means that you are ahead of everybody else 3-4 months.  It is then that the grafts have had the time to root and the new hair starts growing.  

I am surprised to hear that you were on blood thinners for both of your procedures.  Did you tell the doctor this prior to the procedure?  This would just make it more difficult for the clinical staff as there would be more bleeding, the grafts would just pop out, etc.