3 years in the making...

Hello all,

Been a lurker to not just this forum, but a few others (including reddit) and decided to join this one and create a post.  So a little about me (please bare with me lol). 

I'm 33 now, Back when I was about 23, I believe, the girl who used to cut my hair pointed out that I had a thin spot on my crown.  The reason she pointed it out, besides the fact that she was a family friend, is that she always knew me to have very thick, very coarse hair.  I still sorta do.  I hopped on rogaine not too far after that, and then upped the ante by going on finasteride, or propecia (it's now generic finasteride that i'm taking currently), when I noticed that my hairline was beginning to weaken, which was around 26-27.  Was only on it for maybe 3 years, when I got off of it (was expensive before i found out i could get generic for a fraction of the cost).  All in all, I've been back on it for well over a year now.  Despite my proactivity in my fight back for hairloss, I'm slowly losing the battle and am looking to buy time.

I've been exploring and researching hair transplants for a few years now.  Prob since 2015.  I've seen some absolute works of art, I've also seen the absolute worst surgeries imaginable, but what my research has concluded is that this is something you absolutely MUST do your homework on, and that you really only want the best in the field to do the work.  It wasn't until recently that I decided to take it a step further and get consultations, and I've limited it to just right now.  Hasson and Wong, and Chicago Hair Institute. 

I've had 2 online consults with hasson and wong, with a guy named mike over a span of 2 years, the last one being last week. Been interested in Dr. Hasson for as long as I"ve been doing research. Both consults, not much has changed in the recommendation of 3000 grafts to fill in hairline and crown, but I never pulled the trigger because well, i never thought it would get worse over the long term and my loss has pretty much been stable (and yknow, MONEY).  But as of recently, i was picked up by reputable talent agency on the east coast, and given the unfortunate circumstances of vanity and the nature of the industry, i've been extremely critical of my friends on the top of my head.

After doing more research, and discovering the talents of Dr. Konior, (as well as the lack of availability from what I've seen in these forums), I decided to send in my photos to the Chicago Hair institute.  There was a page on the site that was for out of town patients, and they care about discreetness and a timeline as to when i could wear a hat and go home, and that spoke volumes to me as I'd really like to be as discreet as humanly possible.  I was contacted by Dr. Nadimi, who gave me essentially the same graft estimate that H&W gave me, and I'll be booking a facetime consultation with her coming up.

I'll show photos of my situation as well, but I'm curious as to anyone's dealings with Dr. Nadimi.  From what I've experienced and understand so far, is that she's worked under and been trained by Konior, and that she's all business. And that her quality of work is good, but there's not much info on her results, in the regard that there are volumes on Koniors work.  Right now, she's the front runner given her locale (my uncle lives 8 miles from the clinic, so i can ask to stay with him), and that she also emailed me directly.  That truly impressed me TBH. Konior is booked over a year out, and i want to get this done sooner rather than later. Any and all info would be great!

IMG_3095.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg

IMG_3161.JPG

IMG_3171.jpg

IMG_3174.jpg

IMG_3094.jpg

First off, you’re hair looks great. I can see your concern with the hairline but it’s really not bad yet. I don’t think it warrants a HT but if you want to buy time and a few more years of a rock solid hairline then go for it. Your crown is a bit of a bigger area. Did either suggest what the split of the 3000grafts would be? 1500 for the hairline and 1500 for the crown? You might be looking at multiple procedures down the line depending how much further the hair loss progresses.

thank you. Dr. Nadimi specified 1500-2000 for high density frontal hairline restoration, and then about 1500 for the crown. i'm not sure how much further my hair loss will continue tbh. Mike from Hasson and Wong said its hard to tell what i am on the norwood scale, but it's on the low side i believe. But a 3000-3500 graft procedure i can live with ideally. I'm not sure how that will translate to reality tho.

Edited by brickellmoto

2 minutes ago, hairlossPA said:

i’m interested to hear how you decided on H&W. i’m assuming you’re going FUE? I have nothing against H&W FUE results, just curious because they’re more known for FUT

H&W was one of the first clinics i stumbled upon. you know how it goes, start doing research on something that interests you and down the rabbithole you go. i haven't decided which route i'm going yet tbh. i'm back and forth. if i could still buzz it down to a 2 on the back and sides with an FUT scar, then that would be the way to go IMO, as i've read conflicting stories that FUE on the first go around depletes and destroys the donor site, should i need another procedure. would need more info to back that claim obv, but just like everything else, there's 2 schools of thought on the subject.

I think I'd play it safe in your case and go 1250-1500 in the front and 1000-1250 at the back.  I would not do the full crown as the spot at the back is the least priority.  You could always go back a few years later if there is no change but you're still quite young.

Nadimi with stick and place is the way forward for minimal shock loss.  I had no shock loss at all with Konior using the same method.

I'd say go FUE but for future surgeries you might want to consider switching if things go pear shaped.

2.JPG.7ed45fb3c5cbb47e663bb5ce9f7cef67.JPG1.jpg.8032f87f790f1d05ed66affc68b29674.jpg

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

30 minutes ago, 1978matt said:

I think I'd play it safe in your case and go 1250-1500 in the front and 1000-1250 at the back.  I would not do the full crown as the spot at the back is the least priority.  You could always go back a few years later if there is no change but you're still quite young.

Nadimi with stick and place is the way forward for minimal shock loss.  I had no shock loss at all with Konior using the same method.

I'd say go FUE but for future surgeries you might want to consider switching if things go pear shaped.

2.JPG.7ed45fb3c5cbb47e663bb5ce9f7cef67.JPG1.jpg.8032f87f790f1d05ed66affc68b29674.jpg

thanks for your reply man. yea i'm not sure what i'm going to do honestly. i'm interested to hear nadimi's opinion. i'd like to do the most i can with one surgery, as i believe i'm slightly better off when it comes to native hair than others that i've seen on here (my apologies if i sound conceited, i wasn't trying to come off that way), so i don't foresee myself having another surgery down the road, but never say never. i'm also not trying to get too ahead of myself either.

also, based on the illustrations, im assuming those will be the areas you think will be filled in?

am i being naive to believe that this is a feasible hairline?1774335908_IMG_3172copy.thumb.jpg.2f578acd4d1450c60effbd7f722793d7.jpg

Edited by brickellmoto

i'm a realist and im not trying to get a juvenile hairline, as i've gotten quite used to my recession, i really don't mind it, but i would like a fully intact hairline and maybe a slight fill on of the temporal points. again, nothing ridiculous.

Hey man, your hair thus far looks good for your age, although, it looks as if the frontal hairline hairs are miniaturizing, and your mid and crown area seems to be thinning a lot.

Since you’ve mentioned that you’ve been hired by a talent agency, that leads me to believe that your in the entertainment industry....so, if I were in your shoes and in a career where appearance seems to be important and of concern, I would definitely concentrate mainly on the frontal hairline/temples/temple triangle point and get that area taken care of in a first procedure, as well as having some grafts peppered throughout the mid-scalp area (should native hair there thin out in the future).

First impression is always frontal impression and if you’re in the entertainment field they’res always tricks they can use to mostly easily cover bald spots but frontal hair loss not so much without it looking fake, then you could get the bald spot crown area covered in a future procedure down the road if any hair loss progresses, just my opinion, good luck!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VicTNYC said:

Hey man, your hair thus far looks good for your age, although, it looks as if the frontal hairline hairs are miniaturizing, and your mid and crown area seems to be thinning a lot.

Since you’ve mentioned that you’ve been hired by a talent agency, that leads me to believe that your in the entertainment industry....so, if I were in your shoes and in a career where appearance seems to be important and of concern, I would definitely concentrate mainly on the frontal hairline/temples/temple triangle point and get that area taken care of in a first procedure, as well as having some grafts peppered throughout the mid-scalp area (should native hair there thin out in the future).

First impression is always frontal impression and if you’re in the entertainment field they’res always tricks they can use to mostly easily cover bald spots but frontal hair loss not so much without it looking fake, then you could get the bald spot crown area covered in a future procedure down the road if any hair loss progresses, just my opinion, good luck!

thanks. good points you've made. 

40 minutes ago, Panamera13 said:

I don't think you need an HT at all; yes you have some hair loss but not much and looks good. With HT, your appearance won't change much.

i'm weighing options for sure. but i definitely want to restore my hairline within reason at the very least. consultation with nadimi is on the 19th

On 11/6/2018 at 4:01 PM, 1978matt said:

This is the best advice for you IMO. 

• Like 1

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

8 hours ago, brickellmoto said:

its not too far off from what nadimi had recommended. i'll update once i have my consultation.

Are you going to lower your hairline? If not, 1500 is more than enough to cover your frontal portion. You might want to try out toppik powder (with the spray attachment as it's make application much easier.) so you have an idea how having a denser frontal hairline will look like. 

15 hours ago, fortuneplant said:

Are you going to lower your hairline? If not, 1500 is more than enough to cover your frontal portion. You might want to try out toppik powder (with the spray attachment as it's make application much easier.) so you have an idea how having a denser frontal hairline will look like. 

nah not lowering it really, i've grown fond of how it looks now and i think a juvenile hairline would look ridiculous on me. that being said, i'm more looking to fill it in and "widen" it a bit by filling in the temporal points slightly. nothing ridiculous

IMG_3094.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/9/2018 at 4:41 AM, Panamera13 said:

I don't think you need an HT at all; yes you have some hair loss but not much and looks good. With HT, your appearance won't change much.

I don't agree. His hairline has miniaturized, creating a bit of a chewed out look. The HT will create a big difference in both framing his face and creating density. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Definitely focus on the hairline and use caboki for the crown. I wouldn’t worry about that small spot, a dab of hair fibers will make it disappear. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

8 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Definitely focus on the hairline and use caboki for the crown. I wouldn’t worry about that small spot, a dab of hair fibers will make it disappear. 

i'm not really as worried about the crown anymore, as i am the front. the crown has seemed to stabilize over the years, and the length i wear my hair on top it can be easily camouflaged, and worst case, concealed. i am, however, torn on just who i should go to for hairline surgery, as i don't feel 100% in on one doctor in particular. i'm doing all the research i can and following along on patient threads. my goal is to have something booked for after christmas this year.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, brickellmoto said:

i'm not really as worried about the crown anymore, as i am the front. the crown has seemed to stabilize over the years, and the length i wear my hair on top it can be easily camouflaged, and worst case, concealed. i am, however, torn on just who i should go to for hairline surgery, as i don't feel 100% in on one doctor in particular. i'm doing all the research i can and following along on patient threads. my goal is to have something booked for after christmas this year.

Hairlines come down to aesthetics, some like Rahal, others like Hasson. As long as you’re choosing a recommended surgeon with an extensive patient portfolio you should be fine. It just depends on which type if hairline you prefer.

Some posters feel that certain doctors are known for aggressive hairlines, I don’t necessarily think that’s true. Any surgeon can perform an aggressive or conservative hairline. It depends on the patient whether it’s advisable or not.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Just now, Melvin-Moderator said:

Hairlines come down to aesthetics, some like Rahal, others like Hasson. As long as you’re choosing a recommended surgeon with an extensive patient portfolio you should be fine. It just depends on which type if hairline you prefer.

Some posters feel that certain doctors are known for aggressive hairlines, I don’t necessarily think that’s true. Any surgeon can perform an aggressive or conservative hairline. It depends on the patient whether it’s advisable or not.

i know rahal is a popular choice on here, but sadly i don't see many patient posted photos, only home-runs posted by the clinic. do you know why that is? hasson was my first choice, then i stumbled across nadimi while researching konior and his seemingly forever waitlist, and then i joined this forum and discovered multiple other doctors (rahal, gabel, diep, etc).  

• Administrators

All are great choices, I went to Dr. Diep myself, but again all are great. I visited Dr. Mohebi today. I encourage you to check out my post I wrote about my visit. He’s underrated IMO, worth considering as well. 

View my thread

Probably one of the more ideal cases for toppik on here, seeing as you have thick hair everywhere around that spot.

But I do see what you mean about also strengthening the front and what it would do to your overall appearance. I would put the hairline somewhere between your suggestion and Matt's.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BjornBorg said:

Probably one of the more ideal cases for toppik on here, seeing as you have thick hair everywhere around that spot.

But I do see what you mean about also strengthening the front and what it would do to your overall appearance. I would put the hairline somewhere between your suggestion and Matt's.

i might actually look into SMP on the crown. still not entirely sold on it yet tho. i guess we'll see. right now i'm not too worried about it. it's more of a nuisance to camouflage it, than a need to get it taken care of.