Post transplant redness- what does it signify?

• Administrators

Minor inflammation and scalp healing.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Redness is caused from inflammation. It takes some patients longer than others to have the inflammation fade away. Generally the more fair skinned a patient is the longer it will take for the redness to go away. The only concern would be if the initial redness from the surgery went away and then returned some time later. In these cases the doctor who performed the procedure should be contacted right away to rule out any infection.

• Thanks 1

Ruling out any infection, if the redness persists your doctor can prescribe a steroid cream which can be very helpful in treating post-op redness.

• Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 11/5/2018 at 1:38 AM, jj51702 said:

Why exactly is the recipient red for so long after a transplant and what does it signify? I’ve heard it can be anything from increased blood vessel growth to inflammation after the trauma of the procedure.

is it a good sign?

I experienced that too. I was so frustrated when the redness took time to go. It took about a month for my skin to be completely rid of the redness...

That's not unusual for the redness to take a month to dissipate.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY