Growing hair back? - The Big 3 ++ Journey

37 minutes ago, hair4tomo said:

Hi Shifty, Just wondering why the derma roller isn't part of your "big three" (to make a big four) if it gave you such success?

It is, the big 3 is a term i've learned on this site. If you go back a page or two, you will, see exactly what I have been doing as I write it all out.

I just started using my derma pen....it hurts so much more than the roller...lol

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

Ah thanks. Amazing results you have there. What mm size needles on the roller did you use? 0.5mm? 0.3mm?

Do you have a link to the Nizoral product? If I were to go for one, should I pick the Nizoral one or the "HAIR RESTORATION LABORATORIES' 2019 PROFESSIONAL STRENGTH" one?

• Administrators

Wow dude this is insane, Merck and Johnson and Johnson need to sponsor you asap 😜

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

44 minutes ago, hair4tomo said:

Ah thanks. Amazing results you have there. What mm size needles on the roller did you use? 0.5mm? 0.3mm?

Do you have a link to the Nizoral product? If I were to go for one, should I pick the Nizoral one or the "HAIR RESTORATION LABORATORIES' 2019 PROFESSIONAL STRENGTH" one?

1.5 but with the derma pen I vary between 1 and 2 depending on how much it hurts lol

The shampoo I use has a link is in previous page. I purchased Nizoral but only used it a cpl times before I went back to HRL.

10 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Wow dude this is insane, Merck and Johnson and Johnson need to sponsor you asap 😜

Ill use their money for an HT lol

22 minutes ago, Shifty said:

1.5 but with the derma pen I vary between 1 and 2 depending on how much it hurts lol

Looking at a derma roller product on Amazon, it warns: "NEVER use a needle length longer than 0.5mm with minoxidil.". I know you used them on different days, but I'd be wary even if the two weren't used on the same day. Thoughts?

Do you think 0.5mm would be as effective? Also, why did you switch to the pen if you were getting such amazing results with the roller?

Edited by hair4tomo

If u do more research on dermarolling . U supposed to only do it on ur hair or skin 1 time every 3 weeks .. that way ur skin can heal and develop collagen .. when u doing it every week all u doing is injuring ur skin and not giving it time to heal .. also , u not suppose to put anything on ur hair or skin after dermarolling .. especially rogaine .. don’t use it on the same day u dermaroll..  

they say .5mm is the depth needed to develop collagen production .. 

I dont remember where I read about MM size but I do recall 1.5. I do not use it on same night as I use rogaine.  I have been using the next day.

My derma schedule as I have noted in pasts posts are Monday and Thursday nights only.

42 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Most of the studies linking significant hair growth to micro needling utilized a 1.5 mm needle. Consequently, most laymen I've seen trying it out at home are emulating that.

You had good results with the pen you spoke about? How many times a week do you use it and where did you get it from - can you give a link?

1.5mm needles sounds scary and painful. The same Amazon web site said up to 1mm is okay if not using minoxidil. So I'm a little wary about going higher than that.

Edited by hair4tomo

I'm using the derminator 2 at 2 mm once a week. In conjunction with my other treatments it seems to be working well for me (PRP, Minoxidil, and Fin). I also hear good things about the Dr. Pen devices.

The reason I am using 2 mm is simply because I'm of the theory that the device itself is actually not going to penetrate quite as deeply as advertised, and I want to make sure I am getting deep enough to give extra stimulation to follicles that have been dormant for a while. 

The pen hurts much less than the stamp or the roller. I use a new set of pins every week and that minimizes the discomfort quite a bit. The blunter your needles the worse it will feel.

Worst case you can start with a 0.5 setting and increase by 0.25 every week or so to build up to it. I apply minoxidil right after needling, though I do clean my scalp of any trace blood that may have come out first.

On 6/19/2019 at 9:23 PM, Mycroft said:

I apply minoxidil right after needling, though I do clean my scalp of any trace blood that may have come out first.

Why do you think they warn not to use minoxidil and these stamps together? Also, why not simply skip minoxidil the day you have the stamp done?

It's because applying it after the needling increases the absorption, which in turn increases the possibility of it going systemic (and you experiencing systemic side effects). Having said that, I haven't been getting any sides, so I don't worry about it at all and it's probably helping.

2 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

It's because applying it after the needling increases the absorption, which in turn increases the possibility of it going systemic (and you experiencing systemic side effects). Having said that, I haven't been getting any sides, so I don't worry about it at all and it's probably helping.

Interesting, thanks.

Can anyone else chime in on using these two almost simultaneously (2mm needles + minoxidil). I might be a bit braver with the longer needles if others can corroborate Mycroft's technique.

I use the Doctor Pen A6. I do not use minox and pen on the same nights as Mycroft stated, you increase chances of side effects. 

I am using 1-2 MM depending on the area Im using it on. 

On 6/19/2019 at 10:31 AM, Legend007 said:

If u do more research on dermarolling . U supposed to only do it on ur hair or skin 1 time every 3 weeks .. that way ur skin can heal and develop collagen .. when u doing it every week all u doing is injuring ur skin and not giving it time to heal .. also , u not suppose to put anything on ur hair or skin after dermarolling .. especially rogaine .. don’t use it on the same day u dermaroll..  

they say .5mm is the depth needed to develop collagen production .. 

If YOU actually read the biggest study that was released in an Indian journal of dermatology (over 100 participants) you would know that the protocol was to dermaroll once a week with a 1.5mm roller. This is the study that most people try to copy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shifty said:

I use the Doctor Pen A6. I do not use minox and pen on the same nights as Mycroft stated, you increase chances of side effects. 

I am using 1-2 MM depending on the area Im using it on. 

I am also using the Dr Pen A6 and love it, it’s much easier to use and more efficient I believe than a derma roller and you don’t need to have several roller sizes to worry about, you adjust mm on the device. I purchased a bunch of needle cartridges and only use each once to prevent any bacterial infection. I started off with 1mm length on my 1st session and now on my 7th I upped it to 2mm, I apply minoxidil 12-24 hours after.

Thanks all, saw this Dr Pen A6 product, but it only got 3.9/5: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Certification-TopDirect-Microneedle-Cartridges-Rechargeable/dp/B07JJ7YCFD

Would something like this pen be suitable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Titanium-Cartridges-0-25-2-5mm-Koi-Beauty/dp/B01J7PSSOI

Allows 0.25mm up to 2.5mm I think. Looks like the product's just for women, but I'm sure that doesn't matter. It also says it's both a pen AND a roller, but then so did Dr Pen A6 product.

22 hours ago, Shifty said:

What sort of side effects are we looking at? Just greater chances of the existing Minoxidil side effects, or new?

Greater chance of existing effects, since you are increasing the absorption of the drug. You're basically upping the dose of the drug and therefore proportionally increasing possibility of incurring its side effects.

Oh, and it stings a bit when you apply directly afterwards. Shocker.

Edited by Mycroft
  • Like 1

It's the alcohol that engages the stinging sensation.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 3 weeks later...

Missed last month, will update fully in a cpl weeks. This is right now. Hairs still sprouting in the front, not sure about crown. I have a tiny bit of fibers in the front left but you wouldn't be able to see it in this photo i do not think.

I have being going hard with derma pen, I think the harder I am on the areas i'm injuring the better the result......who knows, no pain no gain!!!

image.png.afb3cd22432a60abbe2d20b0b731b86f.png

• Like 2

Just now, Phil36fromaus said:

Looking at your first ever post and then comparing it to this ... holy f*ck man!

I was just doing the same thing LOLOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 4:10 AM, Mick50 said:

Yea it's a bummer both my brother's never lost their hair ,one older and one younger ,my father was a NW 5 by the age of 30 ,all his brothers never lost their hair, same for his father  ,on my mother's side her 2 brothers never got male pattern baldness OK their hair isn't as thick as it was when they were younger ,but it's just old age where most guys hair thin  to some degree. Point is   all the male members on my family pretty much kept their hair apart form my father and me   , ha I would have been really pissed off if  my father had a full head of hair   and I lost mine ,that's just insult to injury  . 

Wow...the same thing happened to me Melvin...I have 2 brothers although the younger one passed away 3 years ago.

But neither one of them suffered any hair loss and neither did my father...I was the only one...may father's side all kept their hair however on my mother's side, my maternal grandfather was a full blown class 6 and my uncle was a class 5.

I guess we were the lucky ones!...:o

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

congrats man. please do not go through with a hair transplant right now lol. probably the best non-surgical result on the face of this earth at this moment. better than mine ;) 

have you experienced any shedding at all to this point? I have still been losing a lot of hair, but I'm adamant on sticking it out on fin. I think my hair is actually starting to rebound (very early to tell but I've noticed a slight improvement).

remember that your hairs will still need to go through the typical life cycle of a hair. I'm just curious to see if you eventually go through that or it will be broken up enough where you dont notice any difference.

Edited by hairlossPA