Can I do hair transplant with 2 different doctors within next quarter

Hi All, 

I need additional 4000 grafts to cover my mid scalp and crown. I have almost exhausted my scalp donor hairs with 3 prior hair transplants.  Dr Diep says possibly 2000 can be extracted from scalp using FUT.  I am thinking of using 2000 beard grafts from Dr Sanusi Umar and so I plan to have hair transplant with both doctors in next 4 months.

I plan to cover mid scalp from Dr Diep and crown from Sanusi Umar.

I had prior hair transplant with Dr Diep and got decent results. Six months ago I booked date with Dr Diep and deposited 1000$ and my hair transplant is scheduled in March 2019. Dr Diep also does not do beard to scalp transplant.  So is my plan acceptable to both doctors or will I be annoying them.

I plan not to give consent to both doctors to use my result and thereby avoid any conflict.

Edited by pradeepbr
More details

After a single procedure, most doctors would say to wait at least a full year before doing another.   This is to allow your scalp to fully recover from the trauma.   I doubt doing two procedures so close together will maximize your result. 

It Is unlikely that the doctors will approve of your plan. Also, Diep is an excellent surgeon, but given that you need BHT, why not have Umar do the whole thing at the same time? That way he can blend your beard hair and scalp hair for maximum effect.

Most people wait at least a year between surgeries, it's smart and mandatory for ethical medical practitioners.

And most choose a single surgeon, only going to a second if they can't book their first one or are dissatisfied with the initial results.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

• Moderators

Ideally you should be going to Umar due to the fact that you need to use beard grafts and he can mix head grafts with beard grafts so you don't really notice any possible texture difference between the two hair types. He would probably use a bit more beard grafts in the crown. You can't get this from doing two procedures and you would have to wait until the first one from Diep grows out, so Umar can see where to add the beard grafts.

If your issue is with the $1000 deposit with Diep, then I would tell him the situation that you want to get beard grafts to get a more full look and you think Umar would be a better choice simply because he can do those and not because you don't trust Diep to do a good job with the head grafts you have left. Make sure Diep knows you were satisfied with his work you already had done. Since the procedure is still some months away and you have had a procedure with him already, he may refund you the deposit. He can probably fill the date with someone else since it's not too near.

Did you have a consultation with Umar yet? You definitely need to do that first to see what he thinks about how much head and beard grafts he can get out of you.

Edited by BeHappy
spelling

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.