Just had FUE at the Chicago Hair Institute

dtreidjr

Hello all.  Little background first.

I visited Dr. Konior's office 4 years ago and met with his assistant.  He did the consult and some of the things I left with were a $17500+ price for 2000 grafts & have to be on Propecia for the rest of my life.  I was worried about the long term effects of Propecia and that was the reason I declined.

After talking this summer with a doctor, they informed me how the body processes the drug and how it doesn't affect the kidneys/liver.  So I wrote Dr. Konoir and he is booked out for over a year and suggested I talk to Dr. Nadimi.

I met with her mid September and they had an opening October 25th.  She said I do not have to be on Propecia and the price for 1500 graphs would be around $9800.  I thought about it and booked it.

They sent me a packet to follow and to bring with me to the procure.  I had to pay $2000 to hold my spot which they allowed on a CC.  The remainder you have to either mail 2 weeks before hand to make sure the check clears or bring money/cashiers check with you.  If you use CC the day of, they charge an additional fee.

SO...   I got there Thursday morning and met with her assistants.  They went through everything with me, went over some paperwork, took payment and then the Dr. came in.  She took pictures, and went over the hairline I'd like and the hairline she'd suggest.  I went with whatever she suggested because she's the expert.  I have been shaving my head for about 2-3 years so at my consultation in September, she wanted me to grow it out.  So next they shaved my head, drew all the lines and off we went.

I took my valium, changed into their shirt and went into the surgery room.  They took from the back right of my head, then the middle back and then the left back.  I was in and out of it and it wasn't bad at all.  I believe we took a break during one of the position changes, can't quite remember but whenever I needed something, they were happy to oblige.

Took a longer break for lunch but my lunch wasn't there because the extraction process went better than they thought it would apparently.  The comment was made throughout the extraction as to how many "triples" I had.  They showed me and there were many more triples than double or single hairs in the container.

Lunch break is over, I ask for more valium as I'm pretty wide awake and they oblige.  They dress the back of my head, get me comfortable and I lay down.  I think I slept for about 2 hours or so.  Woke up after they were calling my name and said now would be a good time for a break.  So I stumbled up and the nurses walked me to the bathroom.  Came out and my lunch was ready in the room when I came back.  I ate, drank and relaxed until the Dr.  said it was time to start getting ready to finish.

Laid back down and she got back at it for probably about an hour or so.

They finished up and started "cleaning the area".  They did this throughout the surgery.  "Cleaning" it is by constantly spraying it down with saline solution.  It helps to keep it from scabbing.  This "cleaning" took about a half hour.  They gave me all my instructions, helped me get my stuff together and even waited outside with me until my Uber came.

I came back this morning for my check up.  They took off the bandage in back and cleaned that up.  They constantly sprayed the recipient site and I believe maybe reset a graph or 2???  I'm not sure, but I think that's what they did.  They just kept saying how good it looked.

I go back tomorrow for my final cleaning and to be released.

Now, my thoughts:

Dr. Nadimi is business like and "dry".  Straight forward and business oriented.  

Her assistants have good personalities, keep it light and are extremely accommodating.  Constantly making sure their focus is on you and how comfortable you are.  Checking if you're ok and if you need anything.  You really feel like you're in good hands.

The consultation beforehand.  Say what you are looking for.  Dr. Nadimi will be straightforward with you if that's what's best.  I recommend to listen to her and do whatever she says.  She's not looking to make more money or to have you pay for 3000 graphs.  She seems to want what will give the best results.

Everything was very professional.  I don't know how any of that could have gone better.

My results?

I'm only 32 hours removed from the surgery.  I literally have zero swelling.  Where the hair was transplanted to has a little red tint to it, but nothing crazy.  Some of the markings are still there as they haven't all worn off yet.  Here are some pics from right before I went in and was shaved, to right when I got back to the hotel.

24 hours later It looks the same.  No swelling, a little more of the redness gone.  They put some ointment on the back today after they took the bandage off.  I really don't think you can notice anything happened in back.  4-5 days of hair growth in the back and you won't be able to see anything.

So far, I'm ecstatic with where I'm at.  I will try to update every month or so.  So far, if you're looking for a place and you're anywhere near Chicago (I traveled 6 hours cause Dr. Konoir was supposed to be one of the top in the country), I'd recommend Dr. Nadimi in a heartbeat.

Edited to add:  I went in for 1500 graphs with the understanding that if she could and felt more was necessary, she'd make that call.  She ended up doing 1806.

FrontViewPost.thumb.jpg.f96644f18245e74cbe38708e5c4c5b65.jpg

OverheadPre.jpg

FrontViewPre.jpg

FrontLinesPre.jpg

OverheadPost.jpg

BackViewPostCloseup.jpg

BackViewPost.jpg

Edited by dtreidjr
Added graphs
  • Like 1

Following, and thanks for posting.

Looks great, she really packed the hairline deep (as in, nice and wide towards the back).

So she did all 1806 in one day? She is getting faster, which is nice to see. 

I'm a Konior fan and becoming a Nadimi one too. Please keep updating.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ndubya said:

Following, and thanks for posting.

Looks great, she really packed the hairline deep (as in, nice and wide towards the back).

So she did all 1806 in one day? She is getting faster, which is nice to see. 

I'm a Konior fan and becoming a Nadimi one too. Please keep updating.

Yes, 9:12am(right side), 10:33 am(middle) & 11:47am(left side) were when I took my breaks from the 3 harvestings (those were when i sent text messages to my wife).

We started back up a little after 12 and I sent another message at 229pm.  I ate and they had a majority of the hairs placed.  At 5:29pm I was in the Uber on my way to the hotel.

I'd say she was done around 415 or so.  Then they worked for probably 40-45 minutes on cleaning everything with the saline spray.

I honestly.think that's a HUGE key.  As you can see when comparing my photos to others, I have no scabbing, crusting, anything....  once the red is gone and the drawing lines wesrnoff, itll look great.  If course until it starts to shed.  That'll be sad, but all part of the process.

Just a little swelling above my eyebrows which they said will settle into my eyes tomorrow.  But seriously, nothing noticeable.  I walked around Chicago all day yesterday without a hat or anything on and didn't get any stares or double takes.  Crazy clean job.

Edited to add:  After going back through this, I want to explain what I said about Dr. Nadimi.  I said she was "business like and "dry"".  I didn't mean that in a bad way although if she ever read that, it'd be impossible to take that as anything other than bad.  I regret typing that in hindsight because that was not what I actually thought.  It's the Doctor's job to be professional, knowledgeable and to have the patients care/concerns as their first priority.  Staff is hired to do all the feel good nonsense usually.  Dr. Nadimi was more than likeable, easy to talk to and open to any questions.  I don't want anyone, or her, to think that I ever felt anything other than that.

Edited by dtreidjr
clarification

Glad you’re happy with your doctor and the experiece.  Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on the $6-7 per graft in the Chicago area.  I’m more familiar with $4-5 per graft.  You have a lot to look forward to in 3-4 months.  Keep us posted with updates.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

3 hours ago, JohnCasper said:

Glad you’re happy with your doctor and the experiece.  Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on the $6-7 per graft in the Chicago area.  I’m more familiar with $4-5 per graft.  You have a lot to look forward to in 3-4 months.  Keep us posted with updates.

I paid $5.42 per graft when all was said and done.  This is something that I would never shop around for price and make a decision based off of that.  15 years from now, what am I going to regret more?  $3,000 less in my pocket or a bad hair transplant?  

• Like 1

In 3 hours, I'll be exactly 3 days done with the HT.  I didn't take a pic of the back of the donor area because there is literally nothing to see.  You can not tell a single thing happened unless you are specifically looking at it from 2 feet away.  2-3 days of hair growth and all evidence will be gone.  No redness, nothing.  I honestly think this has a lot to do with 2 things:

1)  The care that was given in constantly spraying down the donor site by Dr. Nadimi's assistants.  They kept it wet with saline so it never scabbed up.  Same thing when I went back Friday, Saturday and then I showed it this morning and sprayed it down afterwards.  Piece of cake.

2)  I didn't go for the 2500+ grafts.  That is a lot of trauma.  I've always been a real quick healer, so maybe that as well.

I'm attaching 3 pics, front left, front right and on the top.  I didn't tell my Jr. High daughter what I was doing and showed her this morning.  She was like "wow, you have hair but it's not that noticeable of a difference".   I then walked into the front room where my 6 yr old was.  She simply said "HA dad.  You shaved your hair again.".

The redness on the picture isn't as noticeable in real life.  

To say I'm happy with everything so far would be an understatement.  

I know Dr. Nadimi doesn't have a lot of referrals on here yet, but she worked with Dr. Konoir for a long time and I feel her attention to detail is top notch.  Her staff is amazingly supportive and bottom line, exactly what you'd want to deal with when you go in for something like this.

Again, I can't recommend her enough.  She does other stuff as well, but 3 days out, there's no question in my mind that this is a no brainer choice.

One thing if they could somehow change this...  They use a "permanent marker" to outline where the new hairline will go.  That is the red on my temples.  If there was some other way of marking that or something that came off with a spray, that'd be ideal.  I think that will take a couple days to disappear, or at least until I can put pressure on and wash that part of my head.

3 days leftside.jpg

3 days rightside.jpg

3 days top.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

The work looks extremely clean and refined. Please keep us updated on your progress.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

OK, 7 day check in.  I probably won't do another one until 1 month post op.

Anyway, really washed the area for the first time today.  Had been shampooing donor area and building up lather and then dabbing that on the recipient site and letting it sit for a while.  Today I soaped it up, let it sit for a while and massaged it with my fingers.  Felt good to be able to do that.  Had a good amount of what I'd call "white scabbing" the last day or two.  The shower today cleared most of that up as I scrubbed it softly, let it sit for a while to soften that crust up and then did it again.  

The temples where I had the permanent marker and some of the scabbing is cleaned up.  

I noticed 2 small hairs last night that came out when I lightly touched my scalp.  Not sure if it's part of the shedding process or just 2 of them I lost.  No big deal either way.  Anyway, real happy with everything.  Have been wearing a hat the last 2 days a lot, and a hood/sock cap since Sunday (3 days after) on and off.  Got a little pimple on the left side, but that's been the only thing.

All else is good.

7DaysFront.jpg

7DaysLeft.jpg

7DaysRight.jpg

7DaysTop.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

Wow you have done an excellent job of keeping the recipient area clean, thank you for clearly explaining what you did to keep it crust and scab free. Too many times guys are afraid to clean the recipient area.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I honestly think that what Dr. Nadimi has her assistants do is the key.  I don't know if others besides her and Dr. Konoir do it or not, but from what I remember when I was awake, they seemed to constantly be spraying my recipient site with saline water.  I've always been a really fast healer compared to others, but not letting the area scab up during the procedure was huge I think for the short term look.  When I went back Friday and Saturday, they sprayed it down for a while.

I honestly bet they had an assistant sit there and spray spots on my head for 20-30 minutes after the procedure was over that day.  I sprayed it 3 or so times a day after I got home and then took 2 showers, soaping up the donor area and just creating a ball of lather and patting that on the recipient area.  Letting it sit for 20 minutes then letting water run out of my hands over my head to wash it off.

I literally got my sideburns and around the back just trimmed up for a nice line and the girl said she couldn't tell.  She started to touch my temple and I quickly yelled no, lol.  She looked stunned and I laughed.  Said I just got a transplant 7 days ago and I don't want her to touch that.  She started staring and was like "No Way".  Once she looked real close, she could tell something was different but wouldn't have known if I hadn't said anything.  And that was just because there was a little crust and redness.

If anyone is considering this and reading my post, I would highly recommend Dr. Nadimi.  Her and her staff were more than accommodating.  Honestly, this whole thing has been so much easier than I thought it was going to be.  

• Like 2

You’re looking really good!  Great job taking care of the grafts.  Get used to the pimples, they are quite normal in the process so expect quite a few of them down the road.  Let them heal on their own unless you get a potentially infected one, which is pretty rare.  Keep us posted with updates.  Congrats!

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

On 11/2/2018 at 1:02 AM, dtreidjr said:

I honestly think that what Dr. Nadimi has her assistants do is the key.  I don't know if others besides her and Dr. Konoir do it or not, but from what I remember when I was awake, they seemed to constantly be spraying my recipient site with saline water.  I've always been a really fast healer compared to others, but not letting the area scab up during the procedure was huge I think for the short term look.  When I went back Friday and Saturday, they sprayed it down for a while.

I honestly bet they had an assistant sit there and spray spots on my head for 20-30 minutes after the procedure was over that day.  I sprayed it 3 or so times a day after I got home and then took 2 showers, soaping up the donor area and just creating a ball of lather and patting that on the recipient area.  Letting it sit for 20 minutes then letting water run out of my hands over my head to wash it off.

I literally got my sideburns and around the back just trimmed up for a nice line and the girl said she couldn't tell.  She started to touch my temple and I quickly yelled no, lol.  She looked stunned and I laughed.  Said I just got a transplant 7 days ago and I don't want her to touch that.  She started staring and was like "No Way".  Once she looked real close, she could tell something was different but wouldn't have known if I hadn't said anything.  And that was just because there was a little crust and redness.

If anyone is considering this and reading my post, I would highly recommend Dr. Nadimi.  Her and her staff were more than accommodating.  Honestly, this whole thing has been so much easier than I thought it was going to be.  

following this. i have a consultation with dr nadimi on the 19th. how much did this run you btw if you dont mind my asking

17 minutes ago, brickellmoto said:

following this. i have a consultation with dr nadimi on the 19th. how much did this run you btw if you dont mind my asking

It was $9,800 for the 1500 grafts.  $2,000 upfront (this can be on credit card) to schedule the appt and the remainder the day of the procedure (2 weeks earlier if you send a check) by cash, cashiers check or money order.  If you do the remainder on credit card, they add 4% and you need an authorization from the credit card company that you're going to be charging that amount.  If you give her the ok, she will go whatever she feels is needed over the 1500 (or whatever number you guys decide is the minimum she'll do beforehand) grafts.  Those additional grafts are $5 each and can be paid on credit card without any additional fee.

I've corresponded with her since the surgery a week and a half ago, thanked her and her staff for the great care I feel I received and the excellent job they did.  I asked her if the minimal scabbing is because of what I mentioned above (the constant saline spraying) and she said it's partially that.  I think she mainly felt it's the very tight/small openings they make when implanting and keeping things clean.

I will say that Wednesday night was 6 days after the surgery.  I unfortunately am by nature a "picker".  I've always been that way.  If I got the chicken pox as an adult, it'd be a nightmare.

Anyway, the little bit of white scabbing was driving me nuts and there was a little tingling going on.  I was gently rubbing my fingers on it and the "scabbing" would fall down (kind of like if you have dandruff, but a little heavier).  Thursday as soon as I got up, (directions say 7 days after to do light finger washing on the recipient area with shampoo) I shampoo'd everywhere I didn't have grafts.  Scrubbed it and then lightly scrubbed the transplants with just the pads of my finger.  I stood in the shower and let the shampoo sit on my head for about 20 minutes.  It really softened up that scabbing (I call it scabbing.  You couldn't really see it, but I could feel it.  Almost like a light crust on a baby's head) and started coming off.

I did it twice Thursday and twice Friday.  It was all gone by end of day Friday.

Anyway man, I honestly feel like you are making a great choice if you choose her.  I have absolutely zero regrets.

If you're local, you'll be good to go.  I traveled from 6 hours away and Pricelined a 4 1/2 star hotel in Lombard/Yorktown on the express deal.  Got the Lombard Westin.  It's the perfect hotel for this.  They have room service.  Mini Fridge in the room.  Elevator is right to the right when you walk in and they have movies on demand in the room.

Plus, there's a GREAT AMC theater in walking distance (2 minute walk).  I got up Friday and went for my consult at 9am.  You will have a big bandage on the back of your head from the donor area but nothing on the recipient.

When you go in, they will take the bandage off, check the site and "clean" everything.  They will put Neosporin or another antibiotic ointment on the donor area and will spray down the recipient area with Saline thoroughly.  You'll most likely come out with nothing on your head.

I grabbed breakfast on the way back and was in my room by 11.  I did some work in my hotel room, ordered room service for lunch and went and saw a movie at 3:30 and then again at 7:45.

Use one of those airplane pillows to sleep with as you'll want to sleep at about a 45 degree angle to stay off the donor area and to make sure you don't roll over on your recipient area.

I had cold gel packs, ice packs, etc.. ready for the swelling.  I had almost ZERO swelling.  I had a little on my temples and eye brows Friday and that went down into my eye lids on Saturday but if you didn't know me, you couldn't tell.

Honestly, I got zero "looks" when I went to the movies Friday and went out Saturday.

The only thing that keeps it "noticeable" short term is the permanent marker the Dr. uses to draw the lines.  Went back Saturday for a quick clean up and check up and then I was off and on my way home.

Honestly man, you won't regret it.  I can't see flying to another country or anything like that to have this done.  So what if it's a couple thousand more than the bargain deals in Turkey?  10 years from now that couple thousand won't mean anything but you have the security of having it done in the U.S. if you go with her.

You'll be in good hands if you go there.  Good luck.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Castillo said:

$17500+ price for 2000 grafts!!

Dammmm! 😫

Bit of an update.   Shedding started last night.  2 weeks exactly as I was told it would probably do.  I'm hoping it sheds pretty good so it can all grow back in gradually over the winter.

That quote was 4-5 years ago and with Dr. Konoir.  Rumor is he does Hollywood stars hair.  When I researched it, he was considered top 3 in the country.  This is something I'd never choose because of what is the best deal.

• Like 1

Looks phenomenal dtreidjr, I'm always impressed by the clean work at the chicago hair institute. I'm booked to have FUE with Dr Konior in about 4 weeks, your post only makes me more excited.

I'm flying out of Chicago 5 days post-op, so seeing your 3 and 7 day photos makes me feel more relieved too.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 1:28 AM, SneakyTruth said:

Looks phenomenal dtreidjr, I'm always impressed by the clean work at the chicago hair institute. I'm booked to have FUE with Dr Konior in about 4 weeks, your post only makes me more excited.

I'm flying out of Chicago 5 days post-op, so seeing your 3 and 7 day photos makes me feel more relieved too.

That's great news.  Have you gotten your hotel yet?  If you have or have not, I'd consider looking on Priceline.  Choose "Oakbrook Terrace, IL" and then choose "4 stars".  The 4.5 star "Express Deal" will give you the Westin Lombard.  It's perfect for this kind of thing.  Target is next door, the mall is across the parking lot and the AMC theater is 2 baseball throws from the front door.  Room service and movies on demand from the room.  Plus they have a mini fridge in there.  Perfect hotel for this.

If you've already made reservations somewhere else, I'd see what the cancellation policy is and stay here.  Just speaking from my experience though.

I'm excited for you.  It was a great experience.

Good luck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, 1 month in.  There is just a little hair left from the process, but not a lot.  I'm real happy with this.  From the top down view, you can see where there is still a tinge of redness, but you can't tell unless you know what you're looking for and from the top.  I'm tall so at this point, you can't tell I've had anything done.  This is just great.  Exactly what I wanted.  I want it to come in over 5-10 months gradually.  In about a month, I think I'll shave it again and start not wearing a hat as much as long as the redness/marks from the recipient area is gone.

I've stopped Propecia completely for now.  Just using Rogaine.  If you search Propecia side effects, you see all sorts of things.  Not going to get in to details, but people are called crazy and all sorts of things on forums cause "it can't cause that, it only happened in lab mice".  BS!  I searched for things cause I was like "that's weird.  Am I imagining this?" just to find others have asked the same questions.

I'll wait a month or two and then take a half dose or a dose every other day and see how it goes.

Anyway, here's to July!  7 months from now and hopefully somewhat of a hairline.

I'll try to remember to update in a month guys.  Good luck to everyone out there.

1MonthA.jpg

1MonthB.jpg

1MonthC.jpg

1MonthD.jpg

You have plenty to look forward to.  Keep us posted especially around month 3-4 with new pictures.

This thread is a good example of how folks on this network can help each other as it relates to surgeons, graft costs,  travel expenses, expectations, advice, etc. Well done everyone.