Corbyn

Hair Loss with Pics (Seek advice)

Hi all. I am a longtime lurker on this forum.

This is my situation. I'm 35 and have been having hair loss since 25. I wanted to do a HT a few years back but decided to try using a hairpiece to cover the hair-loss. I am from Malaysia and the weather in Southeast Asia is terribly humid so the tape that is used in the hairpiece will melt within 2 weeks. It leaves a sticky white thingy on my scalp and the assistant at the hairpiece salon has to wash my scalp at least thrice to remove all the sticky residue away. 

The pictures attached were taken at the salon. They have to shave the centre of the head before they put the hairpiece back on. So the pics you see show the hair grown since from the previous visit to the salon. I'm really tired of wearing the hairpiece because it gets really warm and I get a headache. Sometimes at night it gets really itchy and I end up scratching the hairpiece even if the air conditioning is still on. And each visit to the salon to maintain the hairpiece is about USD 50. I think now's the right time to move onto the next stage and do a HT.

I would like you to advise me on 

1) what norwood stage am I?

2) Should I go for FUE or FUT?

3) I'm looking at and need your opinions on

Dr Pong : because he's from Thailand (nearer to me and affordable) and his results are pretty amazing for Asian patients

http://thaihairclinic.com/asian-gallery.php

Dr Diep : because I like his work as can be seen from all his patients on his youtube channel but cost may be an issue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTC03RZcsbw

Dr Rahat: because I've seen some of his work via pictures posted on this forum and I'm really impressed.

Happy weekend to all and I hope to get the advice from all you seasoned forum members.

Thank you,

Benson

DSC_19431.jpg

DSC_19441.jpg

DSC_19382.jpg

Norwood 6/7 

FUT+FUE to maximize your donor supply

I’m personally a Dr. Diep patient so I can vouch for him.

• Like 1

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

17 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Norwood 6/7 

FUT+FUE to maximize your donor supply

I’m personally a Dr. Diep patient so I can vouch for him.

Hi Melvin. is norwood 6/7 really bad? Is there really hope for me or do I need to wear a hairpiece for the rest of my life. 

Dr Diep is too faraway in USA and is also expensive. And his hairlines are unnatural. 

Why did you ask for opinions on Diep if you think he is too far away? And Rahal is even farther. Maybe look at Bhatti given your location and budget. 

Strip w/those Swiss guys at Hattigen Hair Clinic or strip w/Hasson & Wong in Vancouver.  Max out two strip surgeries - you have good donor hair!

Edited by jjsrader
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jjsrader said:

Strip w/those Swiss guys at Hattigen Hair Clinic or strip w/Hasson & Wong in Vancouver.  Max out two strip surgeries - you have good donor hair!

did you do any procedures with them?

18 hours ago, Shifty said:

Likes Dr Diep, also thinks his hair lines are unnatural. ?

yes i've been seeing his work on youtube for about 6 to 7 years already. but if you look at many of his patients I feel like the hairline look like a wide V shape. not everyone can pull off that kinda look.

23 hours ago, Spaceman said:

Why did you ask for opinions on Diep if you think he is too far away? And Rahal is even farther. Maybe look at Bhatti given your location and budget. 

it's a forum. i believe im allowed to ask anything that will assist me in making a final decision. if the replies show that he is the best choice then i might very well travel to USA to get the procedure done by Dr Diep. 

On 10/27/2018 at 9:51 AM, Corbyn said:

Hi Melvin. is norwood 6/7 really bad? Is there really hope for me or do I need to wear a hairpiece for the rest of my life. 

Dr Diep is too faraway in USA and is also expensive. And his hairlines are unnatural. 

You are a very difficult case, if you expect to fully recover your hair and density, then I’d say you’re better off getting a hair system. Realistically, you will always look thin/balding and you will need to find a hairstyle and length that gives the most visual density or use concealer. This is reality, id rather you not get a transplant then be disappointed.

• Like 1

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

15 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

You are a very difficult case, if you expect to fully recover your hair and density, then I’d say you’re better off getting a hair system. Realistically, you will always look thin/balding and you will need to find a hairstyle and length that gives the most visual density or use concealer. This is reality, id rather you not get a transplant then be disappointed.

Hi Melvin. I am already using a hair system. But because the weather in my country is so humid, the tape melts in less than 2 weeks and it leaves a sticky residue on my scalp. The pics I've attached was taken immediately after the hair system was removed at the salon. You can't see the actual situation of my hair loss because they have to shave my head before they wash it and put on the hair system. The only way I can determine my Norwood state is if I do not get my hair in the middle shaved off. 

I've emailed a few hair transplant doctors and they said that I need a combination of FUE + FUT to restore my hair. One said I needed about 8000 grafts and the other stated 6000. 

Hey Corbyn... can you post some photos of you wearing your system. You have a result in mind...and you're asking us if you can achieve this result...without showing us what you want to achieve. You wearing your system will tell a story :)

You have a few things against you...advanced hair loss pattern, high contrast between hair and scalp. Most likely (based on your ethnic background) average donor supply. Though your hair characteristics make up for it...a little. 

If (and it's based on your expectations) you're a candidate...you're looking at a very mature hairline and thinning crown. Maybe smp is as option to thicken things up. 

In your case, look for a doctor who can manage your donor supply. Look for transection rate (partial and full), plus punch size. You need to cover a lot of area and every graft counts-more so than a class 3-4. I'm not concerned about motorized vs manual (or doctor vs. technician) - but 100% avoid ARTAS, neo-graft.

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

p.s forgot to mention...be very careful when docs recommend fut+fue combo...especially with your hair loss pattern. Couple of issues:

1) you're hair loss will progress...and it's possible the scar will show through the hair. Sure you can get smp. But don't 100% bank of a fine scar. 

2) It's not true you can get more grafts via a combo...maybe on a class 3 (who is guaranteed never to lose more hair) you can harvest to to the max with strip...then outside the safe zone...but this does not apply to you. You have a limited donor supply/area...and your donor area will shrink...your sides will drop. So any ethical doctor will plan for this...and only harvest from your future pattern. It's either fut or fue. The only danger if that you might go with an inexperienced fue doc and damage your donor supply. 

• Like 1

@Abhinay Singh @paddyirishman @eyesonyouuu @Fluffhead @Looking for HT @Portugal25 @inquisitivebald

Hi all.  After having spent many days, months and hours on this forum as a Guest, without signing in, just reading what people have to say and share about their transplants, I finally decided to log onto this forum so that I can ask some questions. I am an amateur among you wise men who I have quoted in this post because your contributions have impressed me tremendously. I was hoping you could advise me so that I can be better informed and your replies will greatly help many other lurkers who are spending hours online on forums such as this to look for answers to their questions.

1) Should I be on finasteride/propecia for a year before the hair transplant?

2) Does getting scalp massages now help during the operation and/or with the outcome of the hair transplants?

3) Did anyone consider staying in India near any of the Eugenix branches for a week or two after the transplant so that they can monitor the progress and intervene if there is any hiccups? Does Eugenix offer daily scalp washing/cleaning services?

4) Based on my pictures above do you think there's any hope for me? Or am I just kidding myself and should just shave it all off?

5) Will transplanted hair fallout eventually? Would you recommend FUE or FUT and why?

6) Must I continue taking finasteride/propecia for the rest of my life after the transplant?

7) Why is that that some of the patients that went to Eugenix have visible patches in their 6 months or more post-op pictures? I am not sure if I am using the correct term but it doesn't look like it's densely packed? Although the hair has grown. I can still see their scalp. I was thinking a hair transplant would do its best to return the patient to as close as possible to when he first started losing hair or is my thinking incorrect?

😎 Creating a hairline is an art and with Eugenix, it seems to be like its been a hit and miss kinda thing with most patients. Some hairlines clearly indicate to others that he has gone for a transplant and other hairlines do not look natural to me. Surely one of the aims behind a transplant is to not let others know with one glance that I have gone for a transplant?

9) Eugenix has a few branches in India so does this mean that the husband and wife team travel from one clinic to another daily to perform the hair transplant? if that is the case then would them being tired affect their concentration and decision making if they were to perform the transplant on me?

10) I only found out about Eugenix from this forum a few days ago and when I went to their website it says that there is a price increase. Did they make any announcement prior to the price hike? Would have been great if they had given a 6 months or a 1 year heads up so that potential clients can make up their minds sooner and enjoy the current pricing before the increase. Is there a tax refund or some sort of system where I can claim back part of the cost of the transplant?

Thank you all very much.

@Corbyn happy to hear my comments helped. 

1) According to Dr. Lorenzo that recommendation is mandatory for patients with DUPA and will help a patient that has thin hair but it’s not mandatory for patients without DUPA. I was not on finasteride prior to my surgery and have no plans to start. 

2) That recommendation is for FUT patients and you have YouTube videos explaining how to do it. 

4) Forget the hairpiece that is ruining your scalp and go get a HT. There is no scientific data that confirms PRP provides any benefits. 

5)  I had FUT and FUE and I can say that in 2020 there is now no need to have a FUT scar in order to do a mega session with a great result. Go for FUE! Transplanted hair can fall out if you don’t take finasteride to stop your hair loss. In 2008 I was just 25 years old and had my FUT with Dr. Rahal but since then I didn’t take any finasteride so I lost some of my transplanted hairs in the front and my hairloss progressed to the midscalp and crown leaving me like my profile picture at 37 years old. 

6) Only if you want to stop your hairloss and get stronger hair. If your hairloss has already stopped there is no need to continue on finasteride (you can ask this to a Dermatologist). 

The questions you have regarding Eugenix I will leave them for @paddyirishman because he recently had surgery with them and will be able to provide a more informed answer. I can only say they are the best in the world for a FUE mega session but now if you want to have Dr. Arika do your surgery and not a tech team you will have to pay 1.8€/graft with tax instead of last year price of 1.2€/graft. 

If cost for you is a issue then maybe look at Demirsoy (1.25€/graft) but if I were you I would save money and negotiate with Eugenix to drop their price because you will need a mega session of at least 7000 grafts plus beard grafts to increase density. 

Good luck with your research!

Edited by Portugal25
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Corbyn said:

@Abhinay Singh @paddyirishman @eyesonyouuu @Fluffhead @Looking for HT @Portugal25 @inquisitivebald

Hi all.  After having spent many days, months and hours on this forum as a Guest, without signing in, just reading what people have to say and share about their transplants, I finally decided to log onto this forum so that I can ask some questions. I am an amateur among you wise men who I have quoted in this post because your contributions have impressed me tremendously. I was hoping you could advise me so that I can be better informed and your replies will greatly help many other lurkers who are spending hours online on forums such as this to look for answers to their questions.

1) Should I be on finasteride/propecia for a year before the hair transplant?

2) Does getting scalp massages now help during the operation and/or with the outcome of the hair transplants?

3) Did anyone consider staying in India near any of the Eugenix branches for a week or two after the transplant so that they can monitor the progress and intervene if there is any hiccups? Does Eugenix offer daily scalp washing/cleaning services?

4) Based on my pictures above do you think there's any hope for me? Or am I just kidding myself and should just shave it all off?

5) Will transplanted hair fallout eventually? Would you recommend FUE or FUT and why?

6) Must I continue taking finasteride/propecia for the rest of my life after the transplant?

7) Why is that that some of the patients that went to Eugenix have visible patches in their 6 months or more post-op pictures? I am not sure if I am using the correct term but it doesn't look like it's densely packed? Although the hair has grown. I can still see their scalp. I was thinking a hair transplant would do its best to return the patient to as close as possible to when he first started losing hair or is my thinking incorrect?

😎 Creating a hairline is an art and with Eugenix, it seems to be like its been a hit and miss kinda thing with most patients. Some hairlines clearly indicate to others that he has gone for a transplant and other hairlines do not look natural to me. Surely one of the aims behind a transplant is to not let others know with one glance that I have gone for a transplant?

9) Eugenix has a few branches in India so does this mean that the husband and wife team travel from one clinic to another daily to perform the hair transplant? if that is the case then would them being tired affect their concentration and decision making if they were to perform the transplant on me?

10) I only found out about Eugenix from this forum a few days ago and when I went to their website it says that there is a price increase. Did they make any announcement prior to the price hike? Would have been great if they had given a 6 months or a 1 year heads up so that potential clients can make up their minds sooner and enjoy the current pricing before the increase. Is there a tax refund or some sort of system where I can claim back part of the cost of the transplant?

Thank you all very much.

1) If you're losing your hair, you should be on finasteride. For me it's an open and shut case. Dr. Arika mentioned that she strongly urges all hair transplant candidates to get on finasteride and stabilize before undergoing surgery. Doing so helps minimize shock loss. If you're not taking finasteride, hairs that were already susceptible to miniaturization might not recover fully after the surgery.

2) Having been through a surgery, I have no idea how you'd get a massage during the process. I think a round of PRP would be helpful though. 

3) I'm about a week post op, and unless you'd undergone a mega session I see no reason why you'd need to be so closely monitored. Just follow the doctor's post op instructions to the letter, and you should be fine. I would, however, allow myself 2-3 days post op before jumping back on an international flight. The dry air in the cabin and change in air pressure is uncomfortable when your head and forehead are swollen due to the local anesthetic. Furthermore, with over head bins opening and closing you're more likely to sustain damage to your grafts. My advice would be to hunker down in a hotel room, spray the saline solution by the clock, take your meds, do the massages and keep your head uncovered. 

4) You are not long gone. I've seen miracles worked on the forum. It all depends on your expectations. Are you going to have a full head of hair like you did at 18? Absolutely not. Is your journey going to be expensive? Probably. Get on finasteride, stabilize and in the meantime plan out your surgery. Do a few consultations, get a feel for what various doctors are recommending and then take the plunge. I wish I'd done mine sooner. 

5) Theoretically, the transplanted hair shouldn't fall out, but as in life YMMV. In your case, most doctors will recommend FUT. You'll probably need 2 surgeries to get you where you want to be. Pretty sure the Eugenix team will recommend the DHT method because that's what they specialize in, but you should set up an appointment to ask them yourself. I would get several opinions and then make the most informed decision possible. 

6) Yes, and it's not as big a deal as you think. It soon becomes a habit.

7) I agree with you here. I do, however, feel that you have to look at where the patient starts. Dense coverage is difficult to achieve in a NW5-6. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think you could make the same arguments for just about every surgeon on this forum with the exception perhaps being Hasson and Wong. You'll pay 5-6x the price though. I had a great experience with Eugenix, but I'm not fully endorsing them until I see my final result. You need to get on finasteride, so you'll have a chance to wait and see. 

9) Dr Arika and Dr. Pradeep do not follow each other around. They go where the surgeries are. Their staff is adept at cluster scheduling, so the doctors aren't moving day to day. Dr. Arika said she performs 1 and at the max 2 surgeries per day (if they're smaller procedures). She is a workaholic and enjoys doing 15 days or more in a row. She said that when she does lots of surgeries she gets into a groove. I asked her this specific question during my consultation. She mentioned that in December they only took 1 day off because there was so much demand. I wouldn't worry about doctor fatigue. 

10) The price didn't increase. They added a new tier. The new tier has Dr. Arika doing the hairline implantation herself. Everything else remains the same. 

Let me know if you have further questions! :)

Edited by Fluffhead
  • Like 1

On 10/28/2018 at 4:09 PM, Corbyn said:

I've emailed a few hair transplant doctors and they said that I need a combination of FUE + FUT to restore my hair. One said I needed about 8000 grafts and the other stated 6000.

You look like a NW6 maybe headed towards NW7, but it's hard to see how much hair you would have growing in the middle if you weren't using a hair piece. I would think that someowhere in the 6000 to 8000 range seems about right if you are a NW6.

10 hours ago, Corbyn said:

Why is that that some of the patients that went to Eugenix have visible patches in their 6 months or more post-op pictures? I am not sure if I am using the correct term but it doesn't look like it's densely packed? Although the hair has grown. I can still see their scalp. I was thinking a hair transplant would do its best to return the patient to as close as possible to when he first started losing hair or is my thinking incorrect?

You have too much hair loss to get full density like you can with a hair piece. You are going to have some thin spots. You need to decide if you can accept thinner hair than with a hair piece, but have it be real hair that's growing on your head without the hassles you mentioned that come with a hair piece  OR  do you want the thick, dense coverage that a hair piece can give you.

If you do decide to go for a hair transplant I would do this if I were you. Get the frontal 2/3rds done and leave the crown alone for now. When it fully grows in after a year, then you will have some choices that will be easier to make now that you have some real hair such as:

1. Get the crown transplanted with maybe a bit of touch-up to some thin spots in the front.

2. If you still feel the front is much too thin for you then leave the crown empty and use a hair piece just for the crown and continue to fill in the frontal 2/3rds with a hair transplant.

Edited by BeHappy
  • Like 2

@Corbyn @Abhinay Singh @Fluffhead @eyesonyouuuu @Portugal25 @inquisitivebald @Looking for HT  

Thanks Benson for your kind words and appreciation and also for tagging me in the conversation to share my experience and knowledge to help you. I was a Norwood 6 before my HT with Eugenix.

When you ask if you have any hope or better to shave it off,  the answer is you have great hope. 

You are a norwood 6, maybe eventually be a 7.  There are solutions.   @Eugenix Hair Science has a proven track record of dealing with high norwoods and achieving outstanding results. Dr.Arika and Dr.Pradeep with supporting Doctors and team are pioneers of the DHT ( Direct Hair Transplantation) technique where very near 100% graft growth is achieved with simultaneous implantation of the grafts as their out of body time is kept to a minimum with no root touch. Your scalp doner will be optimised to its potential while at the same time well managed without being overharvested as Eugenix past results have shown . They are also highly skilled in Body Hair Transplantation with beard grafts as I had used for my HT , their is no scarring at all noticable to the naked eye and nobody or even myself can make out extractions were made . Chest Hair if needed can also be used.  I would highly recommend Benson to speak with Dr.Arika as she is very honest and genuine as she will talk to you regarding any concerns you may have.

Medication is not needed for newly transplanted hair and you will have that for life.  It can take 12 to 18 months before you see the final result of a HT . There is no need to stay for a few weeks after the HT, I left the next day after mine. I stayed at the facility near Delhi and it is 5 star.

Yes Eugenix can clean your doner area when you are there, as I had , but its not a neccesity as their work is really clean, you need a little beataline antiseptic solution and antiseptic ointment prescribed that I had to take for the first 7 days on my doner as a precaution for infection.

There is no need to worry about the doctors being tired as they all work like clockwork and know their jobs to perfection with the goal of giving each and every patient the best possible result . The prices have not increased as you can still get a HT for the same price with Dr.Arika, and even at that it is really reasonable priced for the outstanding results that can be achieved. You will enjoy your HT for life.

.............Paddy..........

Edited by paddyirishman
  • Like 2

It all comes down to your expectations. You are fairly young and you have been wearing a hair system. Both can create poor expectations for a ht patient.  BeHappy gave some good advice. 

• Like 1

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

@Spanker @paddyirishman @BeHappy @Fluffhead @Portugal25

hi everyone. thank you for replying. It has given me new perspectives on my situation. I will be watching Eugenix closely. I'll be looking at some clinics from Turkey as well. I also came across another clinic that published impressive results.

DHI International based in India

any thoughts?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corbyn said:

DHI International based in India

any thoughts?

@Corbyn we have presented you with world class Doctors and you are presenting a franchise clinic where your results will depend on the underpaid tech team available on the day of your sugery.

Search for Doctors with patients posting amazing results and avoid clinics. 

For your case Dr. Arika would be the best option and her price is not much higher than the cheapest Doctor with good results, Dr. Demirsoy. 

Don`t focus solely on price because this is not like buying a car that you can sell after a few years! This is a surgery with all the health risks associated with doing a surgery and the results are permanent!

Edited by Portugal25
  • Like 1

Be weary of any chain hair that clinics that use “technique” to promote their clinic.

• Like 1