Melvin-Moderator

Are Hair Transplants an “Illusion” of density?

1 minute ago, Phillyman1996 said:

Man imagine how many people would do hair transplants. If transplants gave 100 percent density. 

In my experience it’s really not a big deal. Being able to walk around in normal circumstances looking like you have no hairloss to the average person like in wind, sun after washing and styling etc is good enough and mostly achievable. Extreme closeups, harsh overhead bathroom lighting and wet hair are issues that don’t matter 99% of the time.

1 minute ago, JayLDD said:

In my experience it’s really not a big deal. Being able to walk around in normal circumstances looking like you have no hairloss to the average person like in wind, sun after washing and styling etc is good enough and mostly achievable. Extreme closeups, harsh overhead bathroom lighting and wet hair are issues that don’t matter 99% of the time.

That is true. Were you the guy who commented on nicks shells videos?  Hes a youtuber.

50 minutes ago, Phillyman1996 said:

Man imagine how many people would do hair transplants. If transplants gave 100 percent density. 

100 percent density isn't necessary as long as you have realistic expectations. I understand the limitations with surgery, but I can still make my hair look like a full head of hair.

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Editorial Assistant and Forum Co-Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

5 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

100 percent density isn't necessary as long as you have realistic expectations. I understand the limitations with surgery, but I can still make my hair look like a full head of hair.

If you look like you have a full head of hair to almost everyone. You have nothing to worry about. Only you will worry about your hair. That is if you have unrealistic expetations.

11 minutes ago, Phillyman1996 said:

If you look like you have a full head of hair to almost everyone. You have nothing to worry about. Only you will worry about your hair. That is if you have unrealistic expetations.

This is true, the issue is that some guys watch YouTube videos and build up these expectations that there hair will be ultra-dense in all circumstances. This is not reality. You need to consciously make an effort for your hair to look dense and full, by styling and making sure the hair is dry and not greasy. Swimming and having your hair wet may show some weaknesses even the best transplants will appear thinner when wet. This is the truth, I would rather guys know the truth than be disappointed. As I have said repeatedly, I have nothing to gain telling the truth.

• Like 1

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Editorial Assistant and Forum Co-Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

9 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

This is true, the issue is that some guys watch YouTube videos and build up these expectations that there hair will be ultra-dense in all circumstances. This is not reality. You need to consciously make an effort for your hair to look dense and full, by styling and making sure the hair is dry and not greasy. Swimming and having your hair wet may show some weaknesses even the best transplants will appear thinner when wet. This is the truth, I would rather guys know the truth than be disappointed. As I have said repeatedly, I have nothing to gain telling the truth.

Alot of these hair transplant do look super full and good on videos. But in other angles it might look not nearly as good. Its a illusion.

A good hairtransplant looks good without needing the same density as native hair .. Because the transplanted hair is thicker in diameter and darker in color . Hairs that were not damaged by dht r stronger n denser looking , therefore u don’t need as many hairs in an area to achieve the same illusion of density .. 

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:07 PM, HarryHonolulu said:

Isn’t the “illusion of density” argument valid for pretty much any man, regardless of whether he has had a hair transplant ?

Dudes that look like they have a great head of hair will come out of the pool and you see bald patches, recessions, thinness etc that you didn’t see before

Almost all ist said and done, but this: No, certain people have such great hair that it looks good under all conditions. Minde did, when I was young. YOu just need 110+ FU/cm2 and Diamter > 70. Simple :-) And there are very few men who keep their hair until they die: Ronald Regan, Leonard Nimoy...

listen guys. Here is a dose of reality.  Nobody looks at Brad Pitt and thinks he is loosing his hair. But look!  On moments you can see scalp through his hair! My point is the idiots here who think you should have a light proof helmet of hair are crazy. We don't dissect people's hair we meet on the street. We get a snapshot impression, hair, no hair, scraggly hair and that's pretty much it.  There is some really sad soul who posted his HT he got to lower an already respectable hairline. He then had it lowered maybe 3cm and it looks terrible. It's because he didn't know the reality and now forever will look like a guy with a funky weird hairline when it was fine before.  Hopefully these pics make the point that even when we see some scalp...it's natural and we don't notice it. I am not saying my 35cm2 HT with pretty average hair is like Mr. Pitts admirable locks.  But think of it line wearing a suit. Almost nobody looks past your suit. Sure, if it fits awful or made out of spandex they would. But most people see a suit and move on to something else. Only a few nitpickers are going to look at minor tailoring flaws or if it's a superb wool or lesser one. Same thing with your hair. A lot more coverage then scalp...they see hair.  

Brad-Pitt.jpg

brad_pitt_hairstyles_81.jpg

Jesus, this guy has great hair. Not for his age...it is just great and if you compare to his brother, poor guy.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:13 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I totally agree.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Jim Harris, Denver, CO - Dr. Robert True & Dr. Robert Dorin, New York, NY