Are Hair Transplants an “Illusion” of density?

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, HT0416 said:

i have a straight line across my forehead, hairline is low density, hair grafts sticking out. completly un natural hairline shape. 

That’s your perception, I definitely wouldn’t say its low density especially after seeing the hair wet. The shape of the hairline is a matter of taste, personally I prefer some recession, but that’s opposite to what others prefer. Like I said refinements are quite simple. I think your hair looks good. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

MY HAIR DOESNT SIT NATURALLY ON MY SCALP ANYMORE IT STANDS THEN LAYS, THIS IS BECAUSE HAIR GRAFTS WERE PLACED AT THE WRONG ANGLES. HAIRLINE SHAPE HAS NO NATURAL LOOK TO IT. I HAD 3000 GRAFTS AT 70CM2, I WOULD SAY 1500 GRAFTS GREW MAX .

Not trying to downplay your concerns but I think we are our own biggest critic.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators

I agree, I feel the result could be refined, but as gil said we are our own worst critics.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 hour ago, HT0416 said:

with wet hair. 3000 grafts to frontal area

4A6D2576-76F8-426B-BD8E-4BEC408A0FAC.jpeg

Out of interest, if using these results as a comparison, how do you think your result looks compared to this result? By the way you keep saying 3000 to the frontal area, maybe you should post a clear post-op photo showing the grafts and a photo with your hairline pulled back pre-op.

20180416_134312.thumb.jpg.7d503bc00b90265edc02745ac356255c.jpg

image.png.2391cee4040903d19a6908102469a48a.png

The hairlines dont look natural, when my hair is dry the hair grafts stick out un naturally. i honestly thought i would of got a natural hair transplant from asmed. its too uniformly placed. i looked better before pre op which makes me upset.

4 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

You say this and then proceed to post a picture of your hairline wet, this is exactly what I’m talking about. You’re deliberately trying to make your hairline look worse. Why? Because you don’t walk around spreading your hairline apart or constantly with your hairline wet. 

This is why we advise clinics not to present their before and after results with patients hair wet before and then their hair dry after, this is because it’s unfairly making the result look better. Present the results as you would wear your hair normally. Combed and styled as you normally would. If I wet my hair and go close to the light it will look just as bad as yours. Again, this is the reality of hair restoration, 

I have matte pomade in my hair mate, it's not wet, it's right after a hair cut that's exactly how i would want to style it but I have to wear a fringe to cover it

1 minute ago, Payam said:

I have matte pomade in my hair mate, it's not wet, it's right after a hair cut that's exactly how i would want to style it but I have to wear a fringe to cover it

shouldnt have to be that way. its not what you paid for. hair transplants are meant to be undetecatable.

If I spend up to 25k on an HT or even less but get it done in another country and I have to continue to cover areas I just had work on, I would be disappointed. That being said, its not a perfected craft because there are many variables. As I've seen many times posted online you may have to go back to refine.  if the frontal hairline is no where near what was discussed prior,  meaning its drawn on your head beforehand you should know,  that's pretty much a botched job.

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, Payam said:

That doesn’t look like pomade, because it looks wet, which is the opposite of what matte finish should be, if that’s true then I suggest throwing that pomade away as it’s clearly not a matte finish. Anerican crew fiber is a true matte finish pomade. With that said, I suggest trying a new product and resubmitting photos indoor lighting and outdoor lighting at a normal distance from different angles. This is thebtruest way to see results and an honest way.

View my thread

16 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

That doesn’t look like pomade, because it looks wet, which is the opposite of what matte finish should be, if that’s true then I suggest throwing that pomade away as it’s clearly not a matte finish. Anerican crew fiber is a true matte finish pomade. With that said, I suggest trying a new product and resubmitting photos indoor lighting and outdoor lighting at a normal distance from different angles. This is thebtruest way to see results and an honest way.

I would be so happy if it looked like any of your pictures. Open my pics up and look, they are high resolution, just look at the low density man.. 

• Administrators

As promised, I have gone ahead and written an article about this topic, I suggest everyone who visits this thread takes a few short minutes out of their day to read the article.

What Does The "Illusion of Density" Mean For Hair Transplants

View my thread

15 minutes ago, wheretogo said:

So, you can't get the "wet look" after you had a HT (without using fibers and stuff), what hair product can you use?

Don't listen to the apologists, you absolutely can have the wet look if you have good growth and not terrible hair diameter. Look at this norwood 6 using a gel style product

• Administrators

First of all, there is no actual video showing wet hair. That’s a picture using flash photography. When you use flash photography the hair will appear darker from a distance. I’m sorry if the truth upsets you, but I’m being honest. I proved this with my own photos, I have nothing to gain. So how exactly am I being an apologist? 

View my thread

• Administrators
4 hours ago, wheretogo said:

So, you can't get the "wet look" after you had a HT (without using fibers and stuff), what hair product can you use?

You can use hair spray that will give you a wet look, but stay away from gel and greasy pomades. Stick with dry cream based wax. I personally use redken manuever cream pomade. Also, stick with thin tooth combs.

View my thread

Thanks to both of you.

Payam, i hope things will improve and that you will be happy.

Melvin, i'm 8.5 months post op and still wear hat in the day time, still concern of the sun, i know i should not.

i don't really want to use any hair products, try to keep away all kind of materials of my scalp so i just wet my hair with water and slick it back, but i do want something to use, what is a "clean" product suitable for curly hair? some kind of clay?.

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

First of all, there is no actual video showing wet hair. That’s a picture using flash photography. When you use flash photography the hair will appear darker from a distance. I’m sorry if the truth upsets you, but I’m being honest. I proved this with my own photos, I have nothing to gain. So how exactly am I being an apologist? 

I think it looks like he has some kind of product in his hair making it look wet.. didn't mean any offense, sorry

21 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

That’s your perception, I definitely wouldn’t say its low density especially after seeing the hair wet. The shape of the hairline is a matter of taste, personally I prefer some recession, but that’s opposite to what others prefer. Like I said refinements are quite simple. I think your hair looks good. 

I believe what he is trying to explain is the fact that his hairline appears as if the doctor whipped out a ruler and started to place the grafts across his forehead. The way all the hair on his hairline aline perfectly to create a straight line across his forehead doesn’t look natural and I believe you would somewhat agree with that? Unless someone went to the barber and asked for the barber to line him up, I have never seen someone who has a hairline where all the individual hairs appear to be aligned perfectly. This may not be the doctors fault as the op had what appears to be a slightly  receded hairline and the doctor might have misunderstood what the op was asking for as his hair looks thick everywhere else other than the recession in the front though.

• Like 1

When the wind blows, it looks like im wearing something on my head where it so straight and uniformly placed. Multi hair grafts make hair line even more un natural. Hair angles just stand on head not going in any natural direction, its as if i have perm quiff also look like plugs at front of hairline 

Where i have to cover the transplant because it looks so bad with fringe, when hair is dry fringe looks like a barcode hanging or it has a shredded paper look to it.

Edited by HT0416

16 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

You can use hair spray that will give you a wet look, but stay away from gel and greasy pomades. Stick with dry cream based wax. I personally use redken manuever cream pomade. Also, stick with thin tooth combs.

I was going to stick with thin tooth comb, but i have curly hair and i saw the "wet brush" so i bought one of those too, i don't know which is better in terms of my hair, but actually i do think i don't really need to comb my hair, just wet it rub it slightly.

in terms of products i think i will look good clay product.

So a lot of the "full head of hair" results you see on these surgeons own websites are nothing more than illusion? This scares me... I really appreciate guys like you sharing your stories and being so open about everything but it is daunting to think of the proposition of spending this amount of money just to have a result that is far less then the photo's actually show you. I get all the logistics... I've spent hours reading threads on this site over the last month. One moment I feel as though I have found the surgeon I want to go with, then the next minute I see a less than stellar result and it takes me back to square one in my decision making process. It's actually making me think of just going bald and using SMP... that way I am not risking the ugly scarring etc... this is a lot more difficult of a decision than I originally assumed it would be.

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:31 PM, HT0416 said:

with wet hair. 3000 grafts to frontal area

4A6D2576-76F8-426B-BD8E-4BEC408A0FAC.jpeg

Actually the density looks very good here for wet hair. But to be honest, these pics are so low quality: Had to tell. The design of the hairline is not my taste either, but it is Erdogans obviously and I feel is it the taste of his average patient. If you go straight to surgery you just have a few minutes to think about the hairline. It is a risk. I went to my clinic twice before the surgery and hade pictures of the drawn hairline to look at for month!

Regarding the angles: Micro errors are not detectable due to poor quality of the pics, but it is clear that you have a change in direction close to the middle. This will lead to some hairs sticking straight up. The questions is: Is this how your normal hair is angled? Maybe it was the only way to do it.

Anyway: The way you present your hair is the worst possible way. I doubt any transplant would look great.

From what I see you can easily make a minor touch up and end up with a top notch result.