Are Hair Transplants an “Illusion” of density?

1 minute ago, JayLDD said:

In my experience it’s really not a big deal. Being able to walk around in normal circumstances looking like you have no hairloss to the average person like in wind, sun after washing and styling etc is good enough and mostly achievable. Extreme closeups, harsh overhead bathroom lighting and wet hair are issues that don’t matter 99% of the time.

That is true. Were you the guy who commented on nicks shells videos?  Hes a youtuber.

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, Phillyman1996 said:

Man imagine how many people would do hair transplants. If transplants gave 100 percent density. 

100 percent density isn't necessary as long as you have realistic expectations. I understand the limitations with surgery, but I can still make my hair look like a full head of hair.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

100 percent density isn't necessary as long as you have realistic expectations. I understand the limitations with surgery, but I can still make my hair look like a full head of hair.

If you look like you have a full head of hair to almost everyone. You have nothing to worry about. Only you will worry about your hair. That is if you have unrealistic expetations.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Phillyman1996 said:

If you look like you have a full head of hair to almost everyone. You have nothing to worry about. Only you will worry about your hair. That is if you have unrealistic expetations.

This is true, the issue is that some guys watch YouTube videos and build up these expectations that there hair will be ultra-dense in all circumstances. This is not reality. You need to consciously make an effort for your hair to look dense and full, by styling and making sure the hair is dry and not greasy. Swimming and having your hair wet may show some weaknesses even the best transplants will appear thinner when wet. This is the truth, I would rather guys know the truth than be disappointed. As I have said repeatedly, I have nothing to gain telling the truth.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

9 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

This is true, the issue is that some guys watch YouTube videos and build up these expectations that there hair will be ultra-dense in all circumstances. This is not reality. You need to consciously make an effort for your hair to look dense and full, by styling and making sure the hair is dry and not greasy. Swimming and having your hair wet may show some weaknesses even the best transplants will appear thinner when wet. This is the truth, I would rather guys know the truth than be disappointed. As I have said repeatedly, I have nothing to gain telling the truth.

Alot of these hair transplant do look super full and good on videos. But in other angles it might look not nearly as good. Its a illusion.

A good hairtransplant looks good without needing the same density as native hair .. Because the transplanted hair is thicker in diameter and darker in color . Hairs that were not damaged by dht r stronger n denser looking , therefore u don’t need as many hairs in an area to achieve the same illusion of density .. 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:07 PM, HarryHonolulu said:

Isn’t the “illusion of density” argument valid for pretty much any man, regardless of whether he has had a hair transplant ?

Dudes that look like they have a great head of hair will come out of the pool and you see bald patches, recessions, thinness etc that you didn’t see before

Almost all ist said and done, but this: No, certain people have such great hair that it looks good under all conditions. Minde did, when I was young. YOu just need 110+ FU/cm2 and Diamter > 70. Simple :-) And there are very few men who keep their hair until they die: Ronald Regan, Leonard Nimoy...

listen guys. Here is a dose of reality.  Nobody looks at Brad Pitt and thinks he is loosing his hair. But look!  On moments you can see scalp through his hair! My point is the idiots here who think you should have a light proof helmet of hair are crazy. We don't dissect people's hair we meet on the street. We get a snapshot impression, hair, no hair, scraggly hair and that's pretty much it.  There is some really sad soul who posted his HT he got to lower an already respectable hairline. He then had it lowered maybe 3cm and it looks terrible. It's because he didn't know the reality and now forever will look like a guy with a funky weird hairline when it was fine before.  Hopefully these pics make the point that even when we see some scalp...it's natural and we don't notice it. I am not saying my 35cm2 HT with pretty average hair is like Mr. Pitts admirable locks.  But think of it line wearing a suit. Almost nobody looks past your suit. Sure, if it fits awful or made out of spandex they would. But most people see a suit and move on to something else. Only a few nitpickers are going to look at minor tailoring flaws or if it's a superb wool or lesser one. Same thing with your hair. A lot more coverage then scalp...they see hair.  

Brad-Pitt.jpg

brad_pitt_hairstyles_81.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:13 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I totally agree.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

bumping this topic, because a lot of guys interested in a hair transplant need to read this.

• Like 2

View my thread

Guys with full sets of hair, and there are some, are truly the worse patients.  (And I mean this in a good way).  They are great observers. They are losing a millimeter off the corner and they are having a fit.  They often confuse contrast with loss.  I think they want to get the surgery done just for the thrill of saying "I had the surgery, now I have a full set of hair."

One of the problems is, when you do have a full set of hair, you also tend to have a very  low hairline.You had it your whole life, and this will continue.  If ever there is a bit of maturing, you can bet the entire family will be present at the consultation.

We are a culture of perfection.  Look at TV commercials.  Beautiful people are always front and center.  Why not use regular folks? So, we all strive to look better, younger...etc.  Without realizing it, we compete.  For work for love, for most things.  The problem, when it comes to hair restoration, is patterns.  This is why it is important, before a consultation begins, to realize what pattern you are.  This will dictate the approach of the doctor and the clinic.  Be honest with the patient and discuss all options including medical therapy, and what can be achieved.  A disappointed patient is a trouble patient down the road.  It's all about painting the right expectation.  Will you lose some patients? Perhaps. But that patient will always remember and, without fail, will say...Dr X told me about this, should have listened to him.

Name and integrity is all we have.......Now let's educate and help some patients.....

• Like 2

After about 8 years of stressing and working myself up into a state about hairloss, learning, studying and comparing Hair transplants, I've just shaved my head. For the past 2 years, I've had a job which would have enabled me to get a HT with one of the lower-cost surgeons vouched for on here - Cinik, Yaman, etc. I often didn't do it because of threads like this - and trust me, I had flight tickets booked once to get it done (Dr R. Yaman - then I saw his donor areas...)

So where am I now, now I'm bald? I'm sitting in work, having had comments, compliments and jokes. But I am relaxed AF about it. I'm not hiding it any more. I'm not getting a fright each time I look in the mirror under strong lights. It's always the same. This thread shows that under bad lighting, or if your style is messed up by weather or something, you're gonna look pretty bad. Back to balding. Back to the guy desperate to hide it. It's not a healthy way to be, let's be honest with that. And you've paid a fair whack of notes for the privilege. What's changed in your mental state? Why else do we actually undergo HT other than to improve our mental state? Can the guys who have had HT surgery truthfully say that they're constantly relaxed about it now?

For me, maybe it will change - maybe I'll go back on it and get a HT soon... but right now, man am I thankful I didn't waste the time money or effort. Each man to his own preference, but for me.... comparing how I felt 4 days ago throwing in fibres in the works toilet cubicle and hating how I looked, to today..not thrilled with it, but not tense and definitely nowhere near as bad as I thought it would look... I'm done with stressing about it. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

Ultimately, a lot of guys just can’t handle the limitations associated with hair restoration. If it’s all or nothing than you’re better off shaving. You made the wise choice. Like I’ve said many times, we don’t sell hair transplants. We’re in the business of educating and linking patients with good surgeons. Part of educating is managing expectations.

• Like 2

View my thread

Great topic, but man, it simply makes me have second thoughts about the whole thing.

Which is good, I suppose. 

A worrying prospect is having even more stress than before you got a HT

I guess in the end, it comes down to person-to-person, and so many people say getting a HT was literally life-changing for them. 

So many what-ifs. 

• Administrators

Look for me I shaved my head for over a year. I just couldn’t accept it. I finally thought if only I can have some hair and then use clever hairstyling id be happy. That’s when I decided on having a hair transplant. Now I use hair fibers, which are a godsend.

Now a lot of guys like @gbhscot want a hair transplant to escape fibers or dealing with hair loss ever again, guys like that shouldn’t get a hair transplant because it’s not realistic and they’ll end up unhappy. As for me, I’m so glad I made the choice hair restoration has improved my life in so many ways including creating a passion. 

Below is a picture of how I looked shaved head vs transplant 

4448EEA3-28BA-4261-98F6-DABDEA48BDEE.jpeg

• Like 3

View my thread

6 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Look for me I shaved my head for over a year. I just couldn’t accept it. I finally thought if only I can have some hair and then use clever hairstyling id be happy. That’s when I decided on having a hair transplant. Now I use hair fibers, which are a godsend.

Now a lot of guys like @gbhscot want a hair transplant to escape fibers or dealing with hair loss ever again, guys like that shouldn’t get a hair transplant because it’s not realistic and they’ll end up unhappy. As for me, I’m so glad I made the choice hair restoration has improved my life in so many ways including creating a passion. 

Below is a picture of how I looked shaved head vs transplant 

4448EEA3-28BA-4261-98F6-DABDEA48BDEE.jpeg

Yours truly is an awesome result, and your hairstyle suits you so well.

Do you find the maintenance tiresome?

To be honest, even before i started receding i used to fuss over my hair endlessly. So fibers and maintenance wouldnt' seem like much of a chance, haha.

10 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Hey Melvin,

Pics look great - can I ask why you didn't just stick with shaved though? Really suited you. In terms of the maintenance, tbh I'm fine with styling it every day and using fibres, but it's the thought of going through the discomfort and the financial outlay of a HT to persistently feel the same sickening kind of stress I've felt in the last years whilst disguising it - that puts me off big time. How is that from your perspective? Do you ever get sick of worrying about it? Obviously for you the rewards outweight it, but i'm interested to hear how it impacts your day to day.

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, gbhscot said:

Hey Melvin,

Pics look great - can I ask why you didn't just stick with shaved though? Really suited you. In terms of the maintenance, tbh I'm fine with styling it every day and using fibres, but it's the thought of going through the discomfort and the financial outlay of a HT to persistently feel the same sickening kind of stress I've felt in the last years whilst disguising it - that puts me off big time. How is that from your perspective? Do you ever get sick of worrying about it? Obviously for you the rewards outweight it, but i'm interested to hear how it impacts your day to day.

When I was a teenager I would spend almost an hour spiking my hair up perfectly. I’ve always cared about my hair, so you can imagine how hair loss impacted me severely. Today, I’m no different. I spend about 20 minutes doing my hair using fibers. I don’t see it as a hassle. I’m free, I’m not hiding my hair loss or the fact that I use fibers. Maybe that’s why I feel the way i do.

Shaved head didn’t make me feel good, I was in really good shape too, so the “get buff, grow a beard” nonsense sounded ridiculous to me. The other day I was in the pool with my gf and some of her friends and one guy asked about my work and said he’d refer to me as the “guy with awesome hair” it’s the little things like that make it all worth it. Just knowing I can make my hair look good, is a confidence I would never have bald.

My advice is if your having doubts don’t do it. I was at a point where I personally felt it couldn’t get any worse. I was extremely unhappy with how I looked and a hair transplant was my hail mary. 

My hair as a teenager below

E24BE82D-E7C7-4690-8F4E-EBD39AD602AA.png

View my thread

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

When I was a teenager I would spend almost an hour spiking my hair up perfectly. I’ve always cared about my hair, so you can imagine how hair loss impacted me severely. Today, I’m no different. I spend about 20 minutes doing my hair using fibers. I don’t see it as a hassle. I’m free, I’m not hiding my hair loss or the fact that I use fibers. Maybe that’s why I feel the way i do.

Shaved head didn’t make me feel good, I was in really good shape too, so the “get buff, grow a beard” nonsense sounded ridiculous to me. The other day I was in the pool with my gf and some of her friends and one guy asked about my work and said he’d refer to me as the “guy with awesome hair” it’s the little things like that make it all worth it. Just knowing I can make my hair look good, is a confidence I would never have bald.

My advice is if your having doubts don’t do it. I was at a point where I personally felt it couldn’t get any worse. I was extremely unhappy with how I looked and a hair transplant was my hail mary. 

My hair as a teenager below

E24BE82D-E7C7-4690-8F4E-EBD39AD602AA.png

Melvin, how open are you with girls you have dated regarding your hair transplant? I’m weary of bringing it up especially early on in the relationship. What about treatments? I use a few things like minox and fin but the minox is really the harder one to keep a secret.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, jj51702 said:

Melvin, how open are you with girls you have dated regarding your hair transplant? I’m weary of bringing it up especially early on in the relationship. What about treatments? I use a few things like minox and fin but the minox is really the harder one to keep a secret.

I was in a relationship when I had all of my procedures, so I didn’t have to hide it. However, the relationship ended about two years ago, so last year I did a lot of casual dating to keep it PC. I never disclosed it to girls that I didn’t consider dating long-term.

That said, I’m now in a relationship and I was up front about it very quickly because I wanted to pursue a relationship. I was honest about using hair fibers and minoxidil. I even told her about my past with finasteride and the fact that it gave me ED. The way I see it I’d rather be upfront and honest about things she may eventually find out anyways. Best to start a relationship being open and honest.

• Like 1

View my thread

I am not sure the term "illusion" is the most accurate here.

I think hair transplant is more about recovering your scalp hair to what it was midway through your balding process. 

Many people still looked really good when they were balding, probably had to do all what Melvin said (long hair cut, good comb hair etc) 

I remember when I was around 25, I was just like that, it was the part of my life when I had good hair days, and bad hair days. But even in bad days I was "gonna be bald" guy rather than bald 

Many people would gladly accept that.

As for the discussion about Asmed along other clinics, I think those clinics have themselves to blame and not the patients. They are targeting patients who are mostly young and early in their hair loss stages. They are aggressive in their treatments and their marketing. 

They are simply trying to sell themselves way too much and creating their brand on such get your perfect hair back, even if they don't say it directly.

And guess what, it is working well for them. So I can understand when patients hate the results. That was simply not what they signed for.

Doctors should always slow expectations downs from early on. That is their job. Most doctors hate it when patients comes to them with info from google as they know amount of false information on the web and most people in medical practice realize they have to be honest and informative about people health or surgeries. 

I don't feel this is the case with many clinics in Turkey tbh. 

5 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

That said, I’m now in a relationship and I was up front about it very quickly because I wanted to pursue a relationship. I was honest about using hair fibers and minoxidil. I even told her about my past with finasteride and the fact that it gave me ED. The way I see it I’d rather be upfront and honest about things she may eventually find out anyways. Best to start a relationship being open and honest.

Do you tell them right from the start? when you are basically in your 1st couple of dates or once you get serious? 

I am  very curious about this, I was actually planning to make a thread about it 

6 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I was in a relationship when I had all of my procedures, so I didn’t have to hide it. However, the relationship ended about two years ago, so last year I did a lot of casual dating to keep it PC. I never disclosed it to girls that I didn’t consider dating long-term.

That’s awesome. How old were these girls? I feel like I can be open with older girls (late 20s and above)

• Administrators
17 hours ago, harry_potter1 said:

I am not sure the term "illusion" is the most accurate here.

I think hair transplant is more about recovering your scalp hair to what it was midway through your balding process. 

Many people still looked really good when they were balding, probably had to do all what Melvin said (long hair cut, good comb hair etc) 

I remember when I was around 25, I was just like that, it was the part of my life when I had good hair days, and bad hair days. But even in bad days I was "gonna be bald" guy rather than bald 

Many people would gladly accept that.

As for the discussion about Asmed along other clinics, I think those clinics have themselves to blame and not the patients. They are targeting patients who are mostly young and early in their hair loss stages. They are aggressive in their treatments and their marketing. 

They are simply trying to sell themselves way too much and creating their brand on such get your perfect hair back, even if they don't say it directly.

And guess what, it is working well for them. So I can understand when patients hate the results. That was simply not what they signed for.

Doctors should always slow expectations downs from early on. That is their job. Most doctors hate it when patients comes to them with info from google as they know amount of false information on the web and most people in medical practice realize they have to be honest and informative about people health or surgeries. 

I don't feel this is the case with many clinics in Turkey tbh. 

Do you tell them right from the start? when you are basically in your 1st couple of dates or once you get serious? 

I am  very curious about this, I was actually planning to make a thread about it 

I told my current gf on our 3rd date. I also told her to not be surprised when I wash my fibers out lol. My crown is a lot thinner, she said “that’s okay my face doesn’t look like this when I wash off my make up either” that’s when I knew she was a keeper haha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

View my thread

• Administrators
17 hours ago, jj51702 said:

That’s awesome. How old were these girls? I feel like I can be open with older girls (late 20s and above)

Most of them were mid 20’s I did talk to some early 30’s also. I’m 34 so most of the girls I attracted were in their mid 20’s. 

View my thread