Am I insane to go with a 'non - famous' clinic? (thailand)

I've done my research and I have spoken to the best surgeons in Thailand, but so far my preference is the less famous Dr. Prima Tossaborvorn.

I spoke to Dr Path and Dr Pong who both believed that FUT is the best procedure (so they are out). 

There is Dr Amonpattana who is highly respected on the academic side of things, is affordable, but I just feel her hairline designs are a little too straight and thin.

This led me to Dr Prima. She is relatively costly at nearly $4,000 usd (pricey for asia, where I live), but I think the hairlines are best. However whenever I research I see most people just use dr path or dr pong (sometimes laorwong). 

She has been fantastic over email and very helpful and has listened to all my concerns.

Here is some of her work and reviews and qualifications (abhrs etc).

reviews:

Is it insane to go with a surgeon who doesn't have tons of westerners writing reviews about her? (everyone just goes to turkey it seems these days).

I really like her hairline designs, i'm very happy with our dealings with each other, and I love that I wouldn't really have to travel to far to get surgery (I have an issue with flying).

Should I do it?

• Administrators

I haven’t heard of this doctor, but ABHRS and ISHRS are not qualifications, they accept any surgeon. Therefore, there’s no standard to become accepted like there is on this site. However, that doesn’t mean the doctor is bad. In addition, the reviews are promotional, I suggest finding unbiased reviews from real patients. 

Warm regards- Melvin

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

38 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I haven’t heard of this doctor, but ABHRS and ISHRS are not qualifications, they accept any surgeon. Therefore, there’s no standard to become accepted like there is on this site. However, that doesn’t mean the doctor is bad. In addition, the reviews are promotional, I suggest finding unbiased reviews from real patients. 

Warm regards- Melvin

How can you tell the reviews are promotional? Do you believe they wrote the reviews themselves?

I've contact 5 of the reviewers on facebook - two responded. One had a great result and another is 2 months in and waiting for the results.

Does that youtube channel make her more legit as we can see her doing the actual work?

I really like her hairlines and she's been great over email.

ABHRS requires an examination.  Not sure how difficult it is to pass though.

She could be good but I'd personally go with someone with a bit more of a track record, that is unless I saw a few of her results in person and was impressed.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

The ABHRS does not accept any surgeon. First, they have to present 250 cases completed (or a completed fellowship), and before/afters of patients. Then they have to pass both and oral and written exam that has been psychometrically tested. It is the only examination of its type dedicated just to hair restoration surgery. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Michael Vories, MD said:

The ABHRS does not accept any surgeon. First, they have to present 250 cases completed (or a completed fellowship), and before/afters of patients. Then they have to pass both and oral and written exam that has been psychometrically tested. It is the only examination of its type dedicated just to hair restoration surgery. 

Thanks for your input. I checked out their site and they don't have that many members, which is actually a good sign that they're not letting everyone in.

Have you checked Dr. Larwong at Absolute Hair Clinic?  I'm 4.5 months out.  The experience was very good and the doctor is involved in everything.  One patient a day as well.  Can't speak for results yet but the work looked good and detailed.  

edit.  I also had a FUT with Dr. Pong as my first FUT procedure.  That was by far my best outcome which was better than Dr. Bhatti and Dr. Panine in terms of growth and minimal scar.  But his focus is FUT as you know.

Edited by densedream

8 hours ago, densedream said:

Have you checked Dr. Larwong at Absolute Hair Clinic?  I'm 4.5 months out.  The experience was very good and the doctor is involved in everything.  One patient a day as well.  Can't speak for results yet but the work looked good and detailed.  

edit.  I also had a FUT with Dr. Pong as my first FUT procedure.  That was by far my best outcome which was better than Dr. Bhatti and Dr. Panine in terms of growth and minimal scar.  But his focus is FUT as you know.

Dr Larwong was too expensive to me. I've actually decided to delay my transplant for a while (perhaps forever).

I think I've read too many failed transplant stories that have scared me off. Some weren't even fails; but the clients would look good for 5 or so years, then lose more hair, and then need another new hair transplant. They had to do this until they ran out of donor hair.

You must have read my story..  lol.  Yes it's a slippery slope and once you start you are pretty much committed.  When I had my first transplant, I only had a receding hairline.  Then it spiraled out of control.  If I could start over, I think I would just shave my head a 1-2 guard and take finasteride to keep the hair I could.   Now I can't ever shave my head.  You're making a wise choice but now rushing into anything.  Good luck.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:07 PM, densedream said:

You must have read my story..  lol.  Yes it's a slippery slope and once you start you are pretty much committed.  When I had my first transplant, I only had a receding hairline.  Then it spiraled out of control.  If I could start over, I think I would just shave my head a 1-2 guard and take finasteride to keep the hair I could.   Now I can't ever shave my head.  You're making a wise choice but now rushing into anything.  Good luck.

Yes, your story and many others made me wary.

What scared me most is learning that fin and dut often lose their ability to work properly after 10 or so years. I'm destined to a nw5 status and I believe if I got a transplant from nw3 to nw1 then I would be fighting an uphill battle to look decent after 15 or 20 years.

I'd probably end up having to have 3 or so transplants and my money is okay now, but If I had kids I wouldn't have the spare cash to spend over 5 thousand on transplants (not to mention pillaging my donor hair). 

The bottom line is, "results are what count!"

Stick with the top surgeons that consistently have the results to prove their talent...and I do mean consistently!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY