Is uneven growth usually or likely to be caused by technician?

I had FUT some months ago, and the growth is uneven, split almost perfectly in the middle.

My right is very good, I can't see where transplanted area begin. My left, not so much.

The doctor only did donor area extraction and made holes in recipient area.

The planting was done by 2 technicians (one for left, one for right), while cutting of the grafts was done by multiple technicians, I think they all follow the same procedure.

So my question is: HOW LIKELY is uneven growth to be caused by technician during planting of grafts? The process seems very simple to me, they picked up grafts from a plate using a tool, then put it into holes in recipient area, so I don't see many places where this can go 'wrong'.

The reason I ask this is to determine if I should consider going back to the same clinic for my second procedure to add density.

Edited by yespls

How far are you post op? I am 3 1/2 months and in a similar situation left side is growing nicely, right side not that great but I have 5 more months , so i'm hoping the lagging side will catch up eventually. 

You do raise a valid point. I too had 2 different techs implanting the grafts. If you are 12 months post op, I would revisit the clinic and the doc should fix it , given there is a marked difference in density between the 2 sides. 

3 hours ago, made2care said:

How far are you post op? I am 3 1/2 months and in a similar situation left side is growing nicely, right side not that great but I have 5 more months , so i'm hoping the lagging side will catch up eventually. 

You do raise a valid point. I too had 2 different techs implanting the grafts. If you are 12 months post op, I would revisit the clinic and the doc should fix it , given there is a marked difference in density between the 2 sides. 

I am 5 months post op.

my point is that if such thing is caused by techs/docs (not by our physiology), I'd rather not visit the same clinic twice.

I believe it's partly caused by medical team because the uneveness split rather perfectly in the middle, but I'd like to have second opinions about this.

• Administrators

Each hair follicle is independent and enters the growth phase at different times. Therefore, at 5 months it is impossible to know if you’re suffering from poor growth, because it’s perfectly normal to have uneven growth in the beginning stages. You still have 7 months of growth left and it is likely to even out by then. Patience is the key.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Each hair follicle is independent and enters the growth phase at different times. Therefore, at 5 months it is impossible to know if you’re suffering from poor growth, because it’s perfectly normal to have uneven growth in the beginning stages. You still have 7 months of growth left and it is likely to even out by then. Patience is the key.

i agree, however, I would like to add that my side that is lagging still has original stubble that did not shed and these little guys better shed or start growing ! 

I have seen other members post about experiencing the same dilemma whereby one sided is lagging in regrowth.

Your doctor will probably tell you to give it more time but if you do not see any improvement 10-12 months post-op, you should talk to your surgeon about it again.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY