What causes hair loss?

Basketball

Why does MPB occur often in men and not women?

Why does hair from the back of the head not fall off when transplanted in front where native hair has fallen off?

Is DHT a cause? Why would it only affect native hair on top but not transplanted hair or hair in back?

• Administrators

The short answer is genetics, but the actual mechanism that triggers hair loss is hormonal. I encourage you to read this article as it has valuable information.

What Causes Hair Loss?

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 months later...

Hormonal changes related with pregnancy, labor, stopping the utilization of conception prevention pills, and menopause can cause impermanent male pattern baldness. Therapeutic conditions that can cause male pattern baldness incorporate thyroid illness, alopecia areata (an immune system sickness that assaults hair follicles), and scalp diseases like ringworm.

Edited by adamwillams

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hair loss is complicated.  Hormonal? Sure.  Hereditary condition? Of course.  Stress, while not the main cause, it can speed up the process.  Stress? Again, not the cause but it can prompt rapid shedding.  Add to the equation the fact that there are resting periods for the follicle as well as miniaturizing.  There is probably lots of info we still don't know.  Most believe, however, that this is a hereditary condition that can come from both sides and it can actually skip generations.  They also believe that DHT is the main culprit.  So, when a woman thins out in a MPB pattern, the belief is that she a higher percentage of testosterone compared to other women.  

How many times have I heard young guys come in and say, "wish I would have done something sooner."  If you are starting to thin, do your research and go to the doctor.  There are modalities, to start, that can help manage the thinning.  This will give you time to then decide what you want to do.  Hair restoration is not an inexpensive process and can be quite devastating for some.  

Male Pattern Baldness is related to hormones. DHT may also be a cause of hair loss, only if your body is producing it in excessive amount. But reasons behind MPB are not limited to hormones and DHT levels. Stress, unhealthy lifestyle, diseases like thyroid & diabetes are also responsible factors for hair loss.

Different treatment options come to mind when someone asks about a method for treating hair loss. Selecting the right option becomes an issue for a person who is new to the hair care world. 

What is the Best Hair Loss Treatment?

It is not easy to say which hair loss treatment is best because some treatments do not suit a person. In other words, the best option for an individual depends on the existing hair loss condition. If a person is bald, the hair transplant surgery might be the best option. However, if a person has extreme hair loss, PRP therapy can be used to restore hair growth. A hair transplant surgeon can guide you further.

Choosing the Right Hair Loss Treatment

From the above discussion, it is clear that PRP hair therapy is a good option for those suffering from hair loss. However, if a person has baldness issue, it is better to go for the hair transplant treatment. You may have questions about hair loss treatment and it is a good idea to get in touch with hair care exert to learn more. Contact the nearest hair care professional to learn more.