Can Future Hair Loss Be Predicted?

• Administrators

This question comes up time and time again, how can you know what the future holds? Unfortunately, no body can tell the future  and there are no crystal balls, but there are a few factors that surgeons look for to create a master plan. What tools did your surgeon use?

If you guys are interested take a read of this article

Can Future Hair Loss Be Predicted?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The actual timetable for progression of loss is very difficult to determine.

IMHO, this is where looking at family history of others with MPB within the family can be helpful both in terms of progression and ultimate Norwood class.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

My hair was the same as my fathers, but my brother kept his hair and he is 77 - go figure.  Yes we have the same father.  I am a dead ringer for my dad in every way.  My brother resembles him, but here is an odd fact.  My brother is gay.  I wonder if that effects hair loss.  LOL Oddly, my sister who is 81 has thinner hair than my brother. 

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, Dazed said:

My hair was the same as my fathers, but my brother kept his hair and he is 77 - go figure.  Yes we have the same father.  I am a dead ringer for my dad in every way.  My brother resembles him, but here is an odd fact.  My brother is gay.  I wonder if that effects hair loss.  LOL Oddly, my sister who is 81 has thinner hair than my brother. 

It's really strange how genetics work, my brother and father both have their hair and they are a lot older than me, but I went completely bald by 30. When I traced back my family tree, I see that my fathers uncle which would be my grand uncle I guess was completely bald too. My father and brother dodged the bullet and I got caught in the genetic crossfire.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Great topic. My father and his father both kept their hair. My mother’s father was a solid NW V. So there’s ammo for that myth.

I have 2 young sons. I wonder if genetic testing will be able to eventually predict if they will lose their hair.

Most in the industry want to wait on most young guys to have an idea what the pattern is going to be.  I would wait until they are 18?  Then visit with your PCP or a Doctor in a Hair restoration practice.  It is likely they will be introduced to all medical therapies, (which, in my opinion), is the right thing to do.  Either the meds will work or they won't.  There are options either way.  Right now, understanding how complicated hereditary conditions are, I would not worry about it.  

• Thanks 1

My older brother does not have MPB at all...my younger brother showed slight signs of it but pretty much had enough hair in his 50's...he only had mild recession at the temporal locations.

MPB hit me head on and I would have ended up a class 6 eventually.  Been on finasteride since late 90's and has greatly helped.

My father did not have MPB but my maternal grandfather did (class 6) and so did my uncle (class 6).  My mother also experienced advanced thinning of her hair.

You can also have your HT doctor perform a microscopic examination of your scalp to get a more accurate assessment of where DHT is impeding your scalp.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY