What Norwood class am I? (25 year old asian male) - Scheduled for FUE w/ Dr. Diep in July 2019 for 1500-200 grafts.

7 minutes ago, Gasthoerer said:

As the OP asks for advice, here is mine:

- You are pretty young and still have a good head of hair 

- HT is always a risk (can go wrong and you are worse than before, can go well and you lose further hair...and your are worse than before)

Next steps:

- Look at your family history

- Take FIN (ok, you do it already)

- Only do a transplant now if your family history leaves enough grafts even at the worst case

- Only do a transplant now if there is a cosmetic benefit in case it is going well

--> Without seeing your facial proportions from the front and the side NO ONE can tell if a transplant makes a cosmetic benefit 

By the way: Fin did the same to me. My libido increased since starting FIN 5 years ago an remained high. 

Thanks for your advice my friend. As far as family history goes my father is about a Norwood 5. Grandfather on both my mom and dads side is also about a Norwood 5 if that helps.

Also if i may ask about your experience with finasteride. How long did it take to see results? Also, did you experience any initial shedding? When can i expect to see hairs stop falling out in the shower for example from just shampooing?

NW5 on both sides is pretty bad. You should be cautious.

I had incredible shedding from Minox (some hair never recovered). I had no shedding from FIN, but there was also not really big improvement. Maybe some hairs got a little stronger after 6-9 month but no real regrowth. On the bright side: I have lost almost no ground since I started 5 years ago. 

Counting hair in the shower is bulls..t, Typical Bro-Science. The only way not to lose hair in the shower is being a NW7. 

• 5 months later...

HEY everyone! Just to update I will be having my procedure in 3 days with Dr. Diep wow i am so excited AND nervous at the same time! I will be starting a new thread so you can all follow as i document my journey. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I tried making a check list for things to consider the day of right before we go into the procedure itself.

- Taking grafts from both sides of the donor to prevent any possible bald patches or thinness in the donor area

- Asking for a densely packed hairline in the hopes of being one and done. (Currently have been on finasteride for 7 months now)

If theres any other advice or suggestions you guys can give for me it would be greatly appreciated! I am quite nervous xD.

To those who have had a procedure with Dr. Diep before is there anything i should prepare for or expect on surgery day? Thanks again!

• Moderators

My advice to you is not to try to go to aggressively low for the hairline. Keep it a bit higher than you probably would like to have. You don't really need to lower it very much if you can get it thick and dense. I'm saying this because you indicated earlier that you have some relatives who are NW 5s, so you need to keep as much donor hair as possible in reserve in case you need further work in the future. Good luck with the procedure.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, shookwon33 said:

unnamed.thumb.jpg.ed7f8305d65c1f461cee8b299679cbb2.jpg

How my hairline is looking now 7 months later on 1 mg finasteride from HIMS and from when i first posted on this thread. Can't tell if any changes lol what do you guys think ?

Looks like you don’t even need a hair transplant. Are you just doing the temples or lowering it completely?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@Melvin-Moderator Maybe its just the angle but my forehead looks just very big. My corners are definitely receded a bit. I planned on lowering the hair line as well and I was going to ask Diep's opinion on whether or not my temples should be touched because i think if I don't it will make my forehead look quite wide if i just lower the hairline. I think my case is very similar to @bondi's thread which his progress was incredible with Dr. Diep.