What Norwood class am I? (25 year old asian male) - Scheduled for FUE w/ Dr. Diep in July 2019 for 1500-200 grafts.

Hi guys just wondering what your thoughts are on my current norwood class? I'm not really sure to be honest, I've just recently started to notice my hairloss, specifically the hairline obviously I will attach photos below. I just had my consultation with Dr. Diep and estimated me for 1500 grafts FUE but I asked him if I could do 2000 to get a really nicely dense hairline if need be so I guess i will ask him to go max up to 2000 then. Let me  know your thoughts/advice thanks so much this community is the best.

6d89534a9d1d9349f6bd629e55ab6193.png

b018dc2a489900f3cc315058ce4b1ba6.png

8a0f8138dfba623fc9bcfd6c3a2e41ed.png

1cccc22e300b0e0b94d006d1bae22914.png

ba34deec2c04666524c509e3a675323b.png

• Administrators

Norwood II and yes you should start medication therapy, the sooner you start the more hair you save in the long run.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Just now, jj51702 said:

Looks like Norwood 2. Personally I would try meds to see where they would take me with that amount of loss. I wouldn’t look into transplants just yet (but that’s only my opinion).

Exactly.  You may find that meds strengthen your existing hairline enough for now. Especially if the third photo is how normally wear your hair.

@Spaceman @jj51702 thanks for your feedback guys. I actually just ordered a trial of Finasteride from the company HIMs. do you guys know if this is reputable quality finasteride from this company? I always get advertisements from them and they gave me a 30 day supply for a trial so I will try it. Also does fin really regrow or strengthen the hairline area? I read somewhere it only helps the crown area but I may be wrong, Thanks anyways.

You can call Hims and ask what brand of generic Finasteride they supply. Given that it’s prescribed and dispensed in the US, the generic manufacturer has to be FDA approved so it’s probably fine.  But it never hurts to check the manufacturer and the expiration date.

In your case, finasteride can help strengthen and even regrow some hair in the hairline. For most people Finasteride won’t help regrow areas in the front that are completely bald, especially if they have been bald for a long time. However, you still have a lot of miniaturized hair that it can help strengthen and it may even help revive  follicles that have recently gone dormant. The longer they stay dormant the less likely it is to help.

If ur hair caliber is still thick .. u good for now .. maintain that density n thickness with meds .. if ur hairline bothers u .. comb ur hair in a style that doesn’t accentuate the hairline . I was doing that for years .. it looks good on an Asian guy . The Korean look .. but yeah .. go on meds though .. if u receding at 25 .. it’s going to be a battle for many years to come .. so educate urself on hairloss .. but currently ur hair looks good .. just need to maintain it .. 

Dammmnnnn. July 2019? That wait list got long af. Diep originally scheduled me for Feb 2019 but then bumped me up to August 2018. I ended up waiting only 4 months. Yeah. I got lucky. 

But to answer your question. You look like a Norwood 1.5. I'm surprised he quoted you 1500 grafts. I was a Norwood 3 and ended up needing around 2000.

21 hours ago, Qneedhair said:

How low of a hairline were you thinking of?  Widows peak maybe?  I'm sorry but you look good to me, what kind of hairloss have you been experiencing?  Thinning, recession of your hairline?  

Hmm honestly I'm not sure about a widowspeak. As an asian widows peaks tend to be much less genetically common so I think i would go for more of a straight lowering of the hairline with perhaps the slightest of "zig zag" that he is known for. As far as my hair loss its mainly my hairline in which I have a lot of "baby hairs" and recession at the corners as you can see in the picture. I am not sure but i think I read that those baby hairs are also known as diffusion or miniaturization of the hair follicles starting to happen? I want to wear my hair styling it up more but when I do my forehead just looks like a five head :(. As for my crown area I think thats also starting to thin a bit as well but Im not really sure at the same time I don't know the best way to tell..

1 hour ago, fatbastard12345 said:

Dammmnnnn. July 2019? That wait list got long af. Diep originally scheduled me for Feb 2019 but then bumped me up to August 2018. I ended up waiting only 4 months. Yeah. I got lucky. 

But to answer your question. You look like a Norwood 1.5. I'm surprised he quoted you 1500 grafts. I was a Norwood 3 and ended up needing around 2000.

Oh wow yeah my waitlist is super long unfortunately. So you just had your FUE in august? How'd it go man?!

On 10/19/2018 at 9:23 PM, Spaceman said:

You can call Hims and ask what brand of generic Finasteride they supply. Given that it’s prescribed and dispensed in the US, the generic manufacturer has to be FDA approved so it’s probably fine.  But it never hurts to check the manufacturer and the expiration date.

In your case, finasteride can help strengthen and even regrow some hair in the hairline. For most people Finasteride won’t help regrow areas in the front that are completely bald, especially if they have been bald for a long time. However, you still have a lot of miniaturized hair that it can help strengthen and it may even help revive  follicles that have recently gone dormant. The longer they stay dormant the less likely it is to help.

Thanks for the responses man. Also could you explain exactly what you mean by i have a lot of miniaturized hair? What does that mean exactly thanks

As genetic baldness progresses, the follicles affected weaken and shrink and then eventually go dormant. As they weaken, the hair that they produce becomes smaller and thinner until ultimately the follicles go dormant and stop producing any hair at all. The thin weak hair is called miniaturized hair. The hair at your hairline looks somewhat miniaturized in the photos that you posted. Do a google image search for “miniaturized hair hairline” for more examples and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

23 minutes ago, fatbastard12345 said:

Great. Just patiently waiting for my results. Check my profile. I just uploaded an 8 week post-op, front and back. 

awesome man keep us updated with your progress im sure you will hit a homerun. I just checked out your new post awesome stuff. I see that we are both 25 y/o asian males just trying to get our hairlines back lol. 

I have to disagree .. shookwon is a grown man n knows what he wants .. it’s his hair n his life .. but u are very new to hairloss n the progressive nature of it . Do more research and get an understanding of things .. u are losing hair at an early age so it’s going to progress .. u can only slow it down with meds .. hairtransplants will hopefully recover what u lost . But if u have a gameplan n finances . I think u should be good .. surgery isn’t for just extreme balding guys .. hairtransplants are the least effective with someone with a lot of hairloss .. cosmetically people with low Norwood’s have the most benefit from a hairtransplant since they still have native to blend In wirh transplanted hair.. making surgery a success .. it’s the progressive nature of hairloss is what worries me . 

• 1 month later...

Just to update. I started taking finasteride 0.5 mg daily 2 months ago on 10/5/18. I am not sure if seeing any results as it's probably too early to tell. No side effects so far. I honestly think my libido has even increased as I literally have been getting turned on by anything and everything its kind of funny. I did hear that finasteride does increase testosterone levels while of course lowering your DHT.

Also to update my scheduled FUE 1500-2000 grafts with Diep is now scheduled for May 2019 as a cancellation opened up so I can get it slightly earlier. I cannot wait for these next 5 months to come. I am hoping 1500-2000 grafts will achieve a nice dense hairline for me that will minimize my large forehead being that I am a Norwood 2 at the moment xD.

• Administrators

Great stuff, an increase in libido is never a bad thing 😅 I hope you’ll create a thread once you have your HT.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

As the OP asks for advice, here is mine:

- You are pretty young and still have a good head of hair 

- HT is always a risk (can go wrong and you are worse than before, can go well and you lose further hair...and your are worse than before)

Next steps:

- Look at your family history

- Take FIN (ok, you do it already)

- Only do a transplant now if your family history leaves enough grafts even at the worst case

- Only do a transplant now if there is a cosmetic benefit in case it is going well

--> Without seeing your facial proportions from the front and the side NO ONE can tell if a transplant makes a cosmetic benefit 

By the way: Fin did the same to me. My libido increased since starting FIN 5 years ago an remained high.