one month before Fue surgery . Want to do Fut now..

Hey all , so I have my FUE surgery date with diep at the end of November 2018.. maybe I’m having cold feet but I’ve been thinking about what my future plans are .. I’m only doing  2000 grafts to hairline . About 2 fingers up .. but I’m a diffuse thinner .. so my hairline recession isn’t bad .. but logically there’s no way I’m not advancing to. 3-4 maybe a Norwood 5 in the next 5-10 years .. I’m 39 , n a low Norwood ..  but my overall hair caliber has gotten really thin .. last year I only needed 1000 grafts . This year it’s up to 2000.. once the hair gets too thin, they don’t grow back .. so I know my top will continue to recede .. at first I only wanted FUE.. because I never thought I would need more than 1 procedure , max 2 .. but gosh the hair diffusion is getting real. I’ve been on finasteride for a year now .. it helps the hair from not falling out as easily .. but my hair caliber  is getting thin .. So I know I probably need 2-3 hairtransplants . N I wear my hair long on the back n sides .. I never buzz cut it , always used scissors n shears .. so I can easily hide a fut scar ..  so I’m thinking of going FUT for my first transplant .. it will also save me money .. from $16,000 for fue . To $8,000 with fut .. That way when I do a fue later I can maximize my grafts . N also be able to afford a second transplant or a repair if necessary.. I can’t afford doing two fue  procedures with diep, I’m budgeting around $20-25k in my lifetime for a hairtransplants n I don’t want to go overseas.. N I don’t want to shave my donor .. i never shaved it before .. it would be too dramatic n long experience for me . I rather have a scar I can hide with my long hair . Than shaving it all off ..I have enough hair up top to cover the scar and enough hair up top cover the recient with native hair .. it Will make this surgery not as difficult ..  

i even started prepping at work by wearing a hat a few days of the week so the coworkers won’t notice when I start wearing a hat more often once I do get transplant :)  . well I’m just venting right now .. planning on calling the clinic to let them know I want to change my surgery method ..  this isn’t about a fue vs fut thing .. it’s just what I feel would be best for my gameplan with my hair .. either way I don’t want to be bald .

58DBAD67-4BE8-42BD-989E-91C3366EFB3D.jpeg

Edited by Legend007
Typo

• Administrators

Honestly, for your case it would probably be wise to go FUT first, because of how you style your hair and your overall goals. I always say choose the method that would best suit your specific goals and needs and for your case strip suits your specific goals and needs. Unfortunately, FUE requires the donor to be shaved this is a turn off for many that don't wear their hair short on the sides. I can certainly understand the apprehension. Best of luck to you legend you're in good hands either procedure you choose.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

4 hours ago, Legend007 said:

Hey all , so I have my FUE surgery date with diep at the end of November 2018.. maybe I’m having cold feet but I’ve been thinking about what my future plans are .. I’m only doing  2000 grafts to hairline . About 2 fingers up .. but I’m a diffuse thinner .. so my hairline recession isn’t bad .. but logically there’s no way I’m not advancing to. 3-4 maybe a Norwood 5 in the next 5-10 years .. I’m 39 , n a low Norwood ..  but my overall hair caliber has gotten really thin .. last year I only needed 1000 grafts . This year it’s up to 2000.. once the hair gets too thin, they don’t grow back .. so I know my top will continue to recede .. at first I only wanted FUE.. because I never thought I would need more than 1 procedure , max 2 .. but gosh the hair diffusion is getting real. I’ve been on finasteride for a year now .. it helps the hair from not falling out as easily .. but my hair caliber  is getting thin .. So I know I probably need 2-3 hairtransplants . N I wear my hair long on the back n sides .. I never buzz cut it , always used scissors n shears .. so I can easily hide a fut scar ..  so I’m thinking of going FUT for my first transplant .. it will also save me money .. from $16,000 for fue . To $8,000 with fut .. That way when I do a fue later I can maximize my grafts . N also be able to afford a second transplant or a repair if necessary.. I can’t afford doing two fue  procedures with diep, I’m budgeting around $20-25k in my lifetime for a hairtransplants n I don’t want to go overseas.. N I don’t want to shave my donor .. i never shaved it before .. it would be too dramatic n long experience for me . I rather have a scar I can hide with my long hair . Than shaving it all off ..I have enough hair up top to cover the scar and enough hair up top cover the recient with native hair .. it Will make this surgery not as difficult ..  

i even started prepping at work by wearing a hat a few days of the week so the coworkers won’t notice when I start wearing a hat more often once I do get transplant :)  . well I’m just venting right now .. planning on calling the clinic to let them know I want to change my surgery method ..  this isn’t about a fue vs fut thing .. it’s just what I feel would be best for my gameplan with my hair .. either way I don’t want to be bald .

58DBAD67-4BE8-42BD-989E-91C3366EFB3D.jpeg

Is Diep really half the price for FUT over FUE? If you were set on Diep I agree FUT would be a sensible choice especially in that case.

• Haha 1

You are almost 40 and on FIN.

I think you should have enough hair independent if you choose FUE or FUT. The decision maker should be other factors. If you sport long hair then FUT is a good option. I think you could also partly shave the donor and go with an undercut.

• Thanks 1

Good  man for trying to work out any concerns you may have before the surgery , you are a guy who obviously loves his hair and you have been honest with yourself  how it would affect you if you became a baldie ,so you are right to think ahead and maybe you may need more than one op ,given the price factor and the way you wear your hair maybe FUT is the way to go .

• Thanks 1

Haha densedream .. wish I was a troll.. I do have massive amount of hair, but just my donor .. my top has thinned out a lot n receding .. I’m okay with the recession , hairtransplants can fix that .. but with diffusion all up top .. u can go bald within a few years once the hair caliber get to thin.. I started fin too late .. so hairs got miniaturized .. but not too late , so I still have enough hair to for it to help ..

Was Norwood 1 at 37, Norwood 2 at 38. I’m close to a Norwood 3 now at 39..  the progression is scary ..  two years ago I only needed 1000 grafts for cosmetic purposes.. but now I realize I have to plan long term .. I still have a hairline but it’s thinning out .. I’m bound to lose my frontal third .. 

Hey Melvin .. u right .. it opinions are wise , I always respect it .. FUT might be the better choice for me .. considering how I comb my hair n never buzz cut it ..  only thing that scared me from an fut scar is if I ever go completely bald up top .n be forced to shave everything .. or if the hairtransplants don’t work n I be stuck with a scar .. but it should work , I have good donor hair , n I’m going to a good doctor .. n even if it’s not successful first time around I still have money to go at it again .. 

N thanks vox, mick n gas for the support .. I appreciate it ..

n yeah jean , diep fut prices are half of his fue.. $4-4.50 per Graft FUT compared to $8-$8.50 per graft FUE..

i think my first surgery should be FUT , considering my circumstances ..  if i let diep do my first surgery with FUE, since I have thick asian hair he will be using .9-1mm punches ,  my donor is going to be depleted quite a bit  to where doing fut later won’t be as beneficial . 

First pic is me today ..n how my hair is .. I still have a hairline .. n don’t look bald at all .. but at closer examination u can see the recession , hair is diffusing into a Norwood 3.. I’m trying to have good hair for another 10-15 years .. I have a pretty 26 y/o fionsa ... met her when I still had good hair :) I have to retain my looks for another decade at least .. 

I have a question , since I be transplanting into native hair ,, Will diep still be able to dense pack it? I’m almost certain I will lose those hairs in the front from shockloss , I don’t care bout them it’s so thin already it’s bound to die soon .. but I’m worried it affect my transplanted hair to where it can’t be densepacked ..

FA34DBBE-88FB-46F6-AB16-862451A41708.jpeg

D7C59E2F-42E1-4A01-BB07-4332F0E60766.jpeg

B83188BE-5B92-4071-A431-DB7663E0DC0A.jpeg

Edited by Legend007
Typo

Dude ur hair looks fine in the pics and I would never in million years think u were planning to get a transplant. I know pics can be deceiving tho. Your on fin so hopefully you wont have shockloss thats the major thing you need to worry about because you'll be transplanting in areas that have bunch hair left even if thinned.

Yeah I still have hair in the hairline .. that’s how diffusing thinning is .. hairs are weak so it’s flat .. ..  but with some gel n hairspray it doesnt look bad ..  but by next year those hairs will be gone .. so I need to rebuild my hairline while I still have hair on top to cover up the surgery .. by coming my hair forward .. 

Oh yeah guys just an update .. 

guess I will be doing fue after all .. the clinic emailed me back that if I want to do fut I will need to reschedule .. next opening for FUT is March 2019 ..

so I stick to my original date of November 2018 and do fue. Guess the decision is made for me . 

19 minutes ago, Legend007 said:

guess I will be doing fue after all .. the clinic emailed me back that if I want to do fut I will need to reschedule .. next opening for FUT is March 2019 ..

1. I am not saying you should do FUT, but I think it is wrong to make you decision based on a 4 month delay.

2. You do not need 2000 FU to get better hairline and I would not go further back as you might trade native vs. transplanted hair.

3. FIN or not, you should expect a lot of shock-loss and be prepared to look like s..t for a couple of month

4. The way you style your hair, doing nth. is a valuable option (and I am in your age with worse diffuse thinning, and can understand you feeling).

Panama I may not be as bald as others ,, but I’m almost a Norwood 3 .. the front doesn’t look bald because their are tiny hairs there still .. but cosmetically they aren’t good ..  I think my situation is quite worse than others that are Norwood 3-4 with  just recession at the front but still have thick coarse hair behind it .. my overall top hair is thin n fragile .. so what might be okay to u is not okay with me .. 

i already confirmed  my decision to get hairtransplants after I got back from my vacation last month ..  I wore a hat everywhere , it’s so humid in Asia that I can’t use hairspray or gel or anything .. my hair looked like shi.t .. all of my pics that I took with my girlfriend , I was wearing a hat .. n I’m someone that never wore a hat before until this year .. thank goodness I look good in a hat .. n my girlfriend didn’t seem to mind .. she knows I don’t like my hair,  so didn’t complain ..  that’s why she’s a keeper .. 

U make some good points gas.. diep recommended me 1750 grafts .. n said max he would do for me is 2000 grafts so he can dense pack it .. I’m also filling in  some temporal points to make my forehead not as wide .. I’m not lowering my hairline much since it’s already low .. 

I’m planning on getting married in June 2019.. so that’s why I want to get my hairtransplant now n have 7 months of growing .. so I can look good in my wedding photos .. 

- honestly I think the clinic is just want to make more money , they said that day was reserved for fue . (Me) fue n another client (fut) there’s no reason they can’t do two fut that day .. they just make more money with fue , so they would of gotten someone else in instead .. 

N yes , I don’t need a hairtransplant right now .. but I rather get one .. I want  to rebuild that frontal wall.. I’m not waiting for it to look totally bald .. 

Legend,

No way you are a Norwood 3.  Your diffusion is mild and not advanced however if you were to add 2,000 grafts, the most apparent risk is shock loss to the native hair.

If I was in your shoes, with that much hair mass, there's no way that I would be getting a procedure done.

I mean, you don't even look like you have MPB.

• Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I can understand, given the density you seem to have throughout your head, that you want to match that same density in the hairline and the area right behind it.  You seem to be very thin in that area and, perhaps, adding other medical modalities to the mix, might not be a bad idea.  Aside of the number of grafts you are considering, I would do some research on PRP at the time of the procedure.  This will help reverse some of the thinning you are experiencing and may bring the grafts in sooner.

Most of us have black hair and light scalp.  That makes the see-through more apparent.  I do agree with you that this should be the focal point and concentrate the grafts in that area.  It is unlikely you will be shocking anything as there is little to nothing there.  

I think it is smart to consider FUT first because of the way you style your hair.  You may be able to do that type procedure many times until you run out of elasticity.  You could then go to FUE and really maximize the donor, if need be, (and could actually put grafts on to the scar to camouflage).

Because the front is such a high impact area, (it is the first area people see when they interact with you), consider at least 2 good size procedures. How many you end up doing will depend on your density goals.

You did say something about "repair."  Are you thinking that the scar may become an issue down the road?  How you scar has to do more with wound physiology and the Doctor typically has little to do with that.  I am sure he will do all he can to keep it at a minimum.  But, once you cut the skin, it will heal with a scar.  if you re-excise down the road, you will replace it with a new one.  If later you decide to do a second procedure, most will harvest from the same place to only leave you with one scar.  If this ever becomes an issue you can then do some FUE.

I really think you should stick with getting your FUE as planned. youre only doing about 2000 grafts which will have virtually little to no impact on your donor for up to 4-6 more sessions if you still wanted to do FUE man. I think this is the right choice and you need to stop second guessing and go as planned in November man! You are going to get a homerun and you know it as wel

18 hours ago, Legend007 said:

- honestly I think the clinic is just want to make more money , they said that day was reserved for fue . (Me) fue n another client (fut) there’s no reason they can’t do two fut that day .. they just make more money with fue , so they would of gotten someone else in instead .. 

FUT has different staffing and equipment requirements than FUE. Maybe Diep has only one team of techs trained to process the strip, and one operating room fitted with microscopes for dissection. It might not be about money.  Best of luck Legend.

Edited by Spaceman

Hey gill yeah I agree my hairlosss isn’t too aggressive .. thank goodness .. it must be the family genes.. all 3 of my brothers n dad are Norwood 1.. with thick hair .. so it was very shocking to me when I started receding .. n I denied that I had mpb for many years .. took no action whatsoever .. till the recession became really notciable to me .. coming onto this site and reading a lot and getting help from other members have really educated me n put my mind at ease .. so hopefully the hairtransplant will get me back what I lost in the hairline .  n I deal with the future hair loss later in life .

1 hour ago, Spaceman said:

19 hours ago, Legend007 said:

FUT has different staffing requirements than FUE. If Diep has one team of techs trained to process the strip it would limit him to one FUT surgery per day. Best of luck Legend.

- hey mick , yeah I was kinda upset with the clinic when they said I had to reschedule 4 months later if I wanted to do FUT.. she gave me no explanation other than that day was already scheduled for Fue

-  thanks spaceman , for clearing it up .. that would make sense if they had a team of FuT n a team of fue .. makes me feel better about the clinic .. I really did not give them enough time . They booked months in advance .. they got a schedule to adhere to .. 

Lasercap and spaceman .. thanks for the advice and support .. y’all feel me man .. that frontal hairline is very important in shaping ones hair .. n even though my hairloss isn’t bad , fixing that area and reinforcing it with stronger donor hair will make a great cosmetic impact .. should keep me lookin youthful for a few more years to come ..