tanning post-op

hey guys

I'm 2 months post FUE and in sunny California.

I would love to get some color while I'm here and hit the beach.

Obviously I am wearing a cap everywhere I go.

Just curious of there is ANY way I can safely tan without compromising the grafts? Is it worth it?

Edited by HarryHonolulu

You can tan other parts of your body, but definitely keep your grafts out of the sun completely and keep a cap on your head. We tell our patients to avoid direct sun exposure for 6 months post-op, and while other surgeons have slightly different guidelines, it's a very good general rule to follow. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I bought a UPF 50 hat, but I really can't see how it will be any more effective than a regular hat, only more expensive.  Keep you head covered for goodness sake. 

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

7 hours ago, HarryHonolulu said:

So if I apply sunscreen to my grafted area and wearing a SPF hat I can sit on the beach for a few hours and tan?

is it worth it though?

Yep. Just keep it covered so that your scalp/grafts don't get direct sunlight and you're good. As long as it's covered from the sun, you're not at risk. I used an SPF spray in addition to the hat just to be extra cautious, so I understand the paranoia. :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56