Eczema Drug Regrows Hair On Girl With Alopecia

• Administrators

I'm not sure if many of you have heard, but doctors in Massachusetts recently discovered one of their patients with Alopecia had regrown hair after administering a drug to treat severe eczema. However, keep in mind this patient had alopecia totalis which is a form of alopecia areata, the condition is an autoimmune disorder which is different from genetic hair loss. However, I thought it was an interesting topic.

You guys are more than welcome to read the article I wrote

Could A Drug For Eczema Be A Hair Loss Cure?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

Interesting point of view. Only time will tell if this drug passes through the FDA.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, BaldingtimetoLdar said:

You guys realise that drug is 36k a year without health insurance?

That is for treatment of severe eczema, if it were to go through the FDA approval, it would likely be a different dosage or possibly a topical treatment  like minoxidil which would change the price. 

View my thread

20 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

That is for treatment of severe eczema, if it were to go through the FDA approval, it would likely be a different dosage or possibly a topical treatment  like minoxidil which would change the price. 

They are trialing a pill version at the moment but i highly doubt the price would be significantly lower for any than they are charging for eczema. I'm no scientist but i'm sure it would also be quite difficult for them to make a biologic into a topical and be as effective. This would also be based on your assumption that you would need a lower dose which isn't exactly clear as it only worked on the girl who was on the dosage for severe eczema . There's also the opposite side of the spectrum where I have read on reddit that it can also cause hair loss. Other side effects also include pink eye in quite a high percentage of users.

I personally would love to take this drug for my eczema, but for hair regrowth I just don't see it being that helpful or affordable.