3008 grafts with Dr.Demirsoy, 15/8/2018

hairaway

Hi all,

I'm a 25 year old who has been balding since 16 years of age (Found a thread of mine  with pictures from 6 years ago when I started rogaine lol. I started on minoxidil and finasteride at 19 and finally decided to have a hair transplant around 2 months ago. I would like your opinion on my current status right now  especially the pictures at 2 weeks post op since I feel like it doesn't seem as dense as it should bewhen comparing to other people at that point. I believe I also started shedding pretty early starting from 10 days post op.

I will update with a current picture in 3 days when I reach the 2 month mark, however I do have some baby hairs sprouting , some which are getting taller and some which are stuck and staying at the same length. It's been a really long two months lol, I guess you can tell with the amount of pictures I have taken.

pre-1.jpg

pre 2.jpg

pre-5.jpg

pre-3.jpg

pre-4.jpg

pre-6.jpg

shave-4.jpg

shave-1.jpg

shave-2.jpg

shave-3.jpg

post-1.jpg

post-2.jpg

post-3.jpg

post-4.jpg

10 DAYS

10 days-4.jpg

10 days-1.jpg

10 days-2.jpg

10 days-3.jpg

16 DAYS

16 days-2.jpg

14 DAYS (sorry the 16 days photo above wasnt in order)

14 days-1.jpg

14 days-2.jpg

16 DAYS ( Again, sunlight)

16 days sunlight.jpg

16 days-1.jpg

1 MONTH

1 month.jpg

Edited by hairaway
  • Like 1

How many grafts were transplanted? May well have some shock loss there but it's pretty early days on your HT path to be honest. I've also considered Dr Demirsoy. Some of his work does look very good and think he generally takes a more conservative approach (not necessarily a bad thing) but my gut instinct (I maybe wrong) is he may be someone for those towards the lower end of the Norwood scale.

3000 (written in the title)  , I think it does look like clean work, especially post op I think I recovered really well and even went back to work 12 days and nobody could tell I had something done. It helps that I have a tanned skin tone, so the redness was barely noticeable unless your looking for it.

I'm just worried that pre-shedding phase, it doesn't seem as dense as it should be however I remember there were lots of hairs stuck to the scabs and crusts when removing them so hopefully a significant amount shed there.

Edited by hairaway

1 hour ago, un13 said:

i had 2 ops with this doctor. You can check my thread. Only thing that i can advise is just stop thinking about it. Its done. Just wait a year or so .

You had amazing results, hope I can have something similar. I know I have to have patience but in general what do you think of my post-op density ?

14 minutes ago, hairaway said:

You had amazing results, hope I can have something similar. I know I have to have patience but in general what do you think of my post-op density ?

its normal. Also since you almost dont have vertex hairloss you will have a good result at the end. Plus you have a lot of grafts to go for a second operation if you would like more density. Just wait a year and go from there

added: i also want to add that i think its not good to impant grafts very dense in one operation, i think it drops survival rate. If you want big density its better to split into 2-3.. etc operations.

Edited by un13

I guess you are right, My expectations aren't really that high even though I've seen spectacular results with 3k grafts on people with similar hair loss. What I'm looking for is for the frontal area to be symmetrical and not wispy and also not having to spend half hour everyday in the morning trying to make my hair look presentable and then having a gust of wind destroy everything and going to the bathroom every hour at work just to check up on my hair :/

well lets do the math. Average density 80-120 hair per cm2. You have approximatly 100 cm2 covered with 3000 grafts thats 30 per cm2. Lets say survival rate at best :90 %, thats 27 grafts per cm2.. So for "close to normal" density you will need to do the same 3000 transplantation one more time. Thats more ot less

2 hours ago, un13 said:

well lets do the math. Average density 80-120 hair per cm2. You have approximatly 100 cm2 covered with 3000 grafts thats 30 per cm2. Lets say survival rate at best :90 %, thats 27 grafts per cm2.. So for "close to normal" density you will need to do the same 3000 transplantation one more time. Thats more ot less

That's without taking into account the already existing hairs right, and that most of the grafts are placed at the hairline and the frontal zone.

On 10/17/2018 at 6:20 AM, hairaway said:

That's without taking into account the already existing hairs right, and that most of the grafts are placed at the hairline and the frontal zone.

yes. Just wait a year and evaluate and go from there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

3rd month update- these pictures were taken under bright flash of the camera in my bathroom

Can't really tell if there is another major difference other than my hair getting longer and somewhat thicker, however what I am sure of is that my hairline and temples are better than pre-op with the hairline making a big difference with my hair being this short. I've been tracking daily if there any new hairs growing on my frontal area but unfortunately I don't think I have seen any new hairs growing but what is weird is that I do feel I have  more hairs in the front area albeit still very thin.

I guess like all people say, its hard to track the new hair growth when its transplanted between existing hair since its grows very thin and thickens out over time.

post 1.jpg

post 2.jpg

post 3.jpg

post 4.jpg

post 5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

1 week till the 4 month mark but I have been pretty disappointed and decided to post a week earlier to get your honest opinions. I have attached a lot of pictures for good analysis.  My thoughts? I have only seen some growth at the hairline and temples from the 3 month mark but I haven't been able to see any sprouts ever since I shed at the 1 month mark. 

I do have a couple of sprouts which have stayed as stubble for over more than a month. I'm worried that I don't have any other growth seeing as I would judge my current result as a huge failure. Didn't achieve anything which I wanted to. There are still big gaps especially the right side, I still need to use toppik as my hair is very much see through. The only good thing is the new hairline and some of the hairs which grew in the frontal region . For 3000 grafts, I would have expected much more growth than this, and I know its still early at the fourth month, but the majority of results which were good, you could already see the sprouts starting from the third month and I have yet to see any.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

You're not seeing as big of a difference because you're looking at your hair every day and analyzing every day.  Your hair looks good right now at 4 months.  I can clearly make out the better hairline vs. your preop.  The preop profile view picture you can tell you're Norwood 4 in the front even with that tuft of hair.  Your 4 months postop pictures have hidden that Norwood 4.  It won't be as thick has the rear half of your scalp, but it should thicken enough to blend successfully.

I really hope your right, I agree there is improvement in the hairline and temple but if I don't see new sprouts or the hair doesnt get much thicker within the next two months, then unfortunately this wouldn't be a good result by any means. 

You've not even quite reached the four month mark which is only the very start of growth! And you already look in better shape than your pre op pics. There is absolutely no need for concern at this point. Try to relax and not fixate over it.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

• 5 weeks later...

I have uploaded a lot of pictures in different lighting for an accurate viewing as the lighting does really make a difference. I think the daylight pictures are more representative of reality rather than the ones in the bathroom. All these pictures are without concealer, when using concealer I look like I have a full head of hair.

My overall thoughts? There is a significant improvement from the baseline, People have noticed a difference and I have been asked in a complementary way whether I changed something about my hair. I now shave the sides and back at a 1.5 every week as I feel it looks better and there is no visible scarring or moth-like appearance. I no longer have to have the mid-section of my hair so long so that it can cover the front part, they are all now the same length which contributes to a smoother and neater look as well as no longer having an issue with wind blowing my hair BUT...

I honestly expected the results to be better than this, my hair is still very thin and I have to use toppik when going out which makes me look like I have a full head of hair. What I'm disappointed in is that I expected not to see any significant thinning (especially the right side) after this transplant seeing as I had 3000 grafts transplanted only in the frontal region with no lowering of hairline and a minor filling up of the temples. My hairline still bothers me as well as my temples. I haven't seen any new growth, maybe its hard to see because of the long hair.

Overall,  Am I pleased I did this? yes   , am I more confident and don't stress about doing my hair in the morning every day ? yes , Am I pleased with my hair? No, it's still very thin and I expected it to be much better.  Do I expect my hair to get better in the coming months? Other than hair growing longer and maybe slight increase in thickness of hairs, I really don't think there will be any new growth or significant difference as some posters here like to lead you to believe, but who knows, I may be wrong, I hope I am.

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

p4.jpg

p5.jpg

p6.jpg

p7.jpg

p8.jpg

p9.jpg

p10.jpg

p11.jpg

p12.jpg

p13.jpg

p15.jpg

p16.jpg

p17.jpg

p18.jpg

p19.jpg

p20.jpg

Don't think being a slow grower is the reason, although my hair grows quite slow in length compared to the average person. My post scab density didn't seem very dense and I thought that maybe the reason was a lot of hairs fell when I removed the scabs/crusts but I guess it's just not many grafts survived.

6 hours ago, hairaway said:

Don't think being a slow grower is the reason, although my hair grows quite slow in length compared to the average person. My post scab density didn't seem very dense and I thought that maybe the reason was a lot of hairs fell when I removed the scabs/crusts but I guess it's just not many grafts survived.

It’s normal for hairs to shed and fall with scabs, that doesn’t indicate bad density in future results, as long as the root of the graft is properly implanted and yes, survived.