Growing donor

hey all

6 weeks post op- has 2000 grafts FUE.  Fully in ugly duckling mode.

I buzzed by hair a week ago because it was growing out at the back and sides. Looks much better when uniformly even. 

Assuming that I see graft growth 3-4 months in, when do you guys think it would be best to let the donor area grow out?

i ask because one month post op my donor looked a bit thin and I am curious how much “runway” (or time) is needed for the donor to fully thicken from a buzzcut.

In other words: if I let my donor and recipient grow out 4 months post-op, should I expect a good head of hair about 2 months later? 

Trying to strategize :)

Edited by HarryHonolulu

Once your scalp recovers from trauma, normal hair growth occurs at roughly 1/2 inch per month.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I had the same approach and stopped buzzing mine around month 3... The donor hadn't fully recovered in terms of density, but it was good enough that I was able to let it grow from month 3 onward. I would give it a try around then and keep an eye on it every couple of days or so. As it grows in, if you notice that it's doesn't look the way you want it, just buzz it back down and try again a couple of weeks later. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56