Best Hairline Doctor

Thoughts on the doctors who make the most consistently natural-looking hairlines? Particularly for straight, fine blond hair. I live in NYC, but am willing to travel if need be. (Here is my current hairline below.)

I want to get fairly conservative FUE, basically reinforcing the forelock and filling in the recesses a small bit. I met with Dr Carlos Welsey, who quoted me 1600 graft FUE. I’m thinking I’ll need a bit closer to 2000, honestly. But I would like to go with the best doctor for my current situation.

Thoughts?

692E09ED-7964-43A4-845A-F291F65E48AB.jpg

IMG_0066-2.jpg

• Administrators

There is no best, but there are several qualified doctors in New York, we recommend Dr. Wesley, Dr. Bernstein, Dr. Feller and Dr. Bloxham. I would at least have  a consultation with the aforementioned doctors to gather some expert opinions.

Warm regards-Melvin

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

36 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

There is no best, but there are several qualified doctors in New York, we recommend Dr. Wesley, Dr. Bernstein, Dr. Feller and Dr. Bloxham. I would at least have  a consultation with the aforementioned doctors to gather some expert opinions.

Warm regards-Melvin

Thanks, Melvin.

Yes, I intend on meeting with all of those NYC doctors. I guess my question was looking for people's subjective opinions of the best, most artistically rendered hairlines. Dr. Feriduni in Belgium, or Hasson & Wong in Vancouver, for example. I'd be willing to travel if it might result in a more natural-looking outcome.

• Administrators

Those are all great options, hairlines are really depend on your taste, some patients may like Dr. Rahal, while others may prefer Dr. Konoir, I went with Dr. Diep, all of the doctors mentioned are elite, so it really boils down to which one you like personally.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Considering that you've virtually lost your entire frontal third and only have a thinned out forelock that ought to have grafts placed into it, I would definitely look at  Erdogan in Turkey, as you'd benefit from higher graft numbers. 1600  grafts could give you a thick forelock and very minor adjustment to the hairline, but you will 100% still appear heavily receding or thinning depending on how coverage is decided. Diep and Baubac in the US are other options I'd look at, a more aggressive approach is ideal for you imo. Doesn't necessarily mean an ultra low hairline etc, but 2500-3000 grafts minimum would be ideal so you don't come out still looking like a balding guy.

Edited by JeanLDD
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 12:12 PM, JeanLDD said:

Considering that you've virtually lost your entire frontal third and only have a thinned out forelock that ought to have grafts placed into it, I would definitely look at  Erdogan in Turkey, as you'd benefit from higher graft numbers. 1600  grafts could give you a thick forelock and very minor adjustment to the hairline, but you will 100% still appear heavily receding or thinning depending on how coverage is decided. Diep and Baubac in the US are other options I'd look at, a more aggressive approach is ideal for you imo. Doesn't necessarily mean an ultra low hairline etc, but 2500-3000 grafts minimum would be ideal so you don't come out still looking like a balding guy.

Hi Jean

Good advice as per usual; your input into this forum is invaluable. 

I see you've recommended Baubac, but I can't see many results from him. Any links?

Also what are you thoughts on Erdogan's more recent issues with a few unhappy hairlines/ results (a few on this forum). His dense packing is definitely some of the best but I'm not super confident in his seemingly more unnatural looking hairlines in the last year or so. Is there anyone who compares price / quality ratio to him? I'm actually looking at Feriduni as an alternative (obviously more expensive)

@djohnson while all of the doctors mentioned by others are capable of giving you a great result I think Feriduni is a great choice for your situation. Something like this, but with additional strengthening of the forelock so maybe 2000-2500 grafts. Maybe a bit more as Jean said, but Feriduni seems to maximize graft coverage really well. 

Edited by Spaceman
  • Like 1

You need workers in your entire frontal 3rd and I dont believ that 3000 grafts would be out of line. 

• Like 1

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

On 10/14/2018 at 10:25 AM, Jamothee said:

Hi Jean

Good advice as per usual; your input into this forum is invaluable. 

I see you've recommended Baubac, but I can't see many results from him. Any links?

Also what are you thoughts on Erdogan's more recent issues with a few unhappy hairlines/ results (a few on this forum). His dense packing is definitely some of the best but I'm not super confident in his seemingly more unnatural looking hairlines in the last year or so. Is there anyone who compares price / quality ratio to him? I'm actually looking at Feriduni as an alternative (obviously more expensive)

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link other forums here, but Baubac's results are mostly on other major forums with initials BT and HS. 

Regarding Erdogan, on the international hairloss forum there are about 40 results from the past 18 months or so that are positive and another 15 or so on here. About 5% with growth below par, however they do guarantee a touchup guarantee for 90% growth.  Most of the people complaining about the hairline being unnatural are bogus in my opinion, those complaining the loudest refusing to take photos of the situation and another one recently 23 months down the track suddenly says the work looks fine but didn't at 18 months. I don't take extreme closeups with obvious lens distortion, or harsh bahtroom lighting pics particularly seriously either. You have a select group of very vocal people like Payam (Admittedly his growth is poor as of yet) that make it seem more of an issue than it is, and people ignoring the significant number of good results.  I'd definitely recommend looking at through the international forum because there are a lot more of his results and people seem more rational in general. Just translate it with Google Chrome.

Imo Erdogan is at the peak of price/quality, although Freitas in Spain at 3.5 Euro is a very strong option also. Unfortunately over a one year waiting list, but I think Feriduni's is quite long also and I feel Freitas's results and hairline aesthetics are above his (Feriduni's of course being top notch too). It does kind of annoy me that there are a number of below par Feriduni results I have seen recently and people just ignore them probably because he is a Belgian rather than a Turk.

If not for the waiting list I maybe would have gone to Freitas, although for the price I paid I can't fault ASMED in terms of growth or naturalness, I just think Freitas is a better and potentially the best (FUE) option globally for hairline artistry, also at a reasonable price.

Edited by JeanLDD

6 hours ago, JeanLDD said:

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link other forums here, but Baubac's results are mostly on other major forums with initials BT and HS. 

Regarding Erdogan, on the international hairloss forum there are about 40 results from the past 18 months or so that are positive and another 15 or so on here. About 5% with growth below par, however they do guarantee a touchup guarantee for 90% growth.  Most of the people complaining about the hairline being unnatural are bogus in my opinion, those complaining the loudest refusing to take photos of the situation and another one recently 23 months down the track suddenly says the work looks fine but didn't at 18 months. I don't take extreme closeups with obvious lens distortion, or harsh bahtroom lighting pics particularly seriously either. You have a select group of very vocal people like Payam (Admittedly his growth is poor as of yet) that make it seem more of an issue than it is, and people ignoring the significant number of good results.  I'd definitely recommend looking at through the international forum because there are a lot more of his results and people seem more rational in general. Just translate it with Google Chrome.

Imo Erdogan is at the peak of price/quality, although Freitas in Spain at 3.5 Euro is a very strong option also. Unfortunately over a one year waiting list, but I think Feriduni's is quite long also and I feel Freitas's results and hairline aesthetics are above his (Feriduni's of course being top notch too). It does kind of annoy me that there are a number of below par Feriduni results I have seen recently and people just ignore them probably because he is a Belgian rather than a Turk.

If not for the waiting list I maybe would have gone to Freitas, although for the price I paid I can't fault ASMED in terms of growth or naturalness, I just think Freitas is a better and potentially the best (FUE) option globally for hairline artistry, also at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the clear, well thought out and articulated response Jean, appreciate it mate. Never considered Freitas but will definitely be checking out some of his work. 

Freitas's work looks great ,totally agree with Jean regarding pic taking, it's just as bad taking pics in really bad lighting as it is in favourable lighting with deceiving  angles shadowing etc if you want to give an honest impression of how the hair looks in reality .

2 hours ago, Mick50 said:

Freitas's work looks great ,totally agree with Jean regarding pic taking, it's just as bad taking pics in really bad lighting as it is in favourable lighting with deceiving  angles shadowing etc if you want to give an honest impression of how the hair looks in reality .

Very true. It's hard to gauge results on the forums sometimes. I would love to meet more guys who have been through the process in real life to see how it looks. 

I had an fue with erdogan this year. My opinion is that the hairline is way too straight and unnatural looking as people have commented on it and it’s quite embarrassing. I am now seeking a hairline repair. I discussed this with erdogan at the time who said that his design is what’s best. 

10 minutes ago, raptor said:

I had an fue with erdogan this year. My opinion is that the hairline is way too straight and unnatural looking as people have commented on it and it’s quite embarrassing. I am now seeking a hairline repair. I discussed this with erdogan at the time who said that his design is what’s best. 

This. 

As I've previously said; Erdogan's density is solid, however, his hairlines simply do not look natural. The key to a good transplant is a natural looking hairline. I think Freitas might be my new selection. I'd rather pay more and wait longer to have a natural looking result. 

Had hair loss similar to yours, was happy with Dr. Gabel for the frontal third and hairline reconstruction.

I don't hesitate to recommend he be on your short list.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I’m from NYC myself and undergoing a similar procedure next year. Wesley is a great choice and I almost went with him myself, but ultimately decided to go with Konior. Wesley’s work is really impressive and natural though — the main reason I went with Konior was because he just had way more before/afters posted online, and Wesley has posted a lot of great results recently.

The doctors mentioned in this thread are generally those I consider the best as well. Rahal, Hasson & Wong, and Diep have done incredible hairlines

Edited by RecessionProof

How you approach the number of grafts and naturalness will depend on a number of factors.  The first being what are your goals and expectations.  Second is your age.  Most young guys still reminisce about the hairline they used to have when they were 18.  The problem with this is the fact that 18 is long gone and adulthood is coming.  So the plan should be to create something that is going to look natural, age appropriate wise and pattern appropriate as well.

Based on the photo you have provided, 1600 may add density to what you have.  But if your plan to to bring down your corners the question then is, how much.  And, if you are planning on matching the density you seem to have elsewhere, this could take multiple procedures.

I am curious, given the length of your hair, why not FUT?  

1 hour ago, LaserCap said:

I am curious, given the length of your hair, why not FUT?  

I sometimes wear my hair much shorter, so I'd like to be able to preserve that option. I also seem to have a large amount of potential donor supply, and the surgeons I've spoken to say they can still get essentially the same outcome at the hairline with FUE vs FUT. Do you disagree?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, djohnson said:

I sometimes wear my hair much shorter, so I'd like to be able to preserve that option. I also seem to have a large amount of potential donor supply, and the surgeons I've spoken to say they can still get essentially the same outcome at the hairline with FUE vs FUT. Do you disagree?

There seems to be a number of FUT patients that definitely regret going down the strip scar route. I'd say to stick with FUE; there doesn't appear to be to much difference in the yield these days and it leaves the option of shorter hair. Only reason you'd go strip is if it's a last resort imo.

Sure I disagree, up to a point based on the type of hair you seem to have.  At the time of the consultation you can ask the Doctor what density you have in the donor area.  The best way address the type of cut, when you go to the hair stylist ask him/her to cut it as short as possible without seeing the scar (in the area where the scar is).  You can fade down from there.  

If you are in the military, OK, I agree.  But the problem that most have with FUE is the fact that typically a .9mm or larger is used to do the extraction.  This also leaves a scar, (not linear mind you). The scar is honeycomb looking.  So, it does not leave a linear scar, but it does leave "something."  This, eventually, will not allow you to shave to a zero as it will look like a barren area.

The argument could then be, the Doctor can use a .7mm punch.  That leaves something so minute that you can't see it.  The problem is that the "instrument" for lack of a better description, is so small that the graft does not have much meat to it.  An FUT graft is much more robust.  It would be interesting to see what others have to say on the subject.  

You brought up the subject of hairline work.  In the old days, (late 80's, early 90's), the thought was that the finer hair came from the nape.  The problem is that it was so close to the neck, (a lot of movement), that scars widened.  So then they started taking the hair from behind the ear.  Since so many are now coming into the industry with little to no knowledge, that one hair follicular unit is being harvested from the middle of the back.  That hair is much coarser that the "fine" hair you typically see in that area.  My suggestion, view as many post op photos as you can.  A practice that can only show you a handful of photos, in my opinion, is trouble.  Doctors have to be proud of their work and show it.

• Like 1