1735 FUE Grafts (3,424 hairs) - 10 month results

benji2014

8 hours ago, kw877 said:

I feel bad saying so but I too would be devastated spending 9k for this to be the result. I will say it’s important for us to share the names of surgeons, you’ve not said anything out of line or defamatory and have simply provided good, detailed pictures. If the Dr was to be unhappy about this, it’s only their own work they should be disappointed in. I’m sorry mate, hope you get something worked out in terms of a refund or something.

Im 4 months out of my surgery with asmed and the most recent results are making me worry for my own. Hoping I don’t have to shell out more money and go through this ordeal again in a years time 

Once I’ve had my one year update meeting with my surgeon I will share details, I just think it’s fair to let him have a chance to have assess before I name him and potentially harm his reputation. Anyone can make a mistake and his results normally look amazing and I’ve yet to see any negative comments about him.

Hope yours turns out well. 4 months is still very early as you know. Have you posted your progress on here?

19 hours ago, benji2014 said:

I’m a few weeks away from my one year anniversary. At this stage it looks like £9,000 down the toilet to be honest. Would any of you guys be happy with this result considering my starting position? 

6693369B-63EA-40AA-B5A1-932E49D7008A.jpeg

7F3D373E-46B7-49F1-8942-829A52D8D07D.jpeg

942018CE-047A-4183-B66D-E5A24ABA2F33.jpeg

CC195C4B-B2D5-4B68-860C-019B44B765F9.png

I wouldn’t be happy with this result for the amount of money you paid, but, if the surgeon offers you a free or discounted touch-up with an additional 1,000 grafts it could look much better.

i agree with your position of not yet naming the surgeon until your 1-year meeting and assessment with him, giving him the chance to explain and offer you a solution to rectify the situation, it’s the right thing to do.

32 minutes ago, VicTNYC said:

I wouldn’t be happy with this result for the amount of money you paid, but, if the surgeon offers you a free or discounted touch-up with an additional 1,000 grafts it could look much better.

i agree with your position of not yet naming the surgeon until your 1-year meeting and assessment with him, giving him the chance to explain and offer you a solution to rectify the situation, it’s the right thing to do.

OP, I absolutely would not listen to this advice. Realistically, he had 1700 grafts and a repair to achieve strong density in the area looking at the current state of it would be roughly.....1700 grafts.

Imo you should look away from the UK at Belgium, Turkey and Spain for some top FUE options.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JeanLDD said:

OP, I absolutely would not listen to this advice. Realistically, he had 1700 grafts and a repair to achieve strong density in the area looking at the current state of it would be roughly.....1700 grafts.

Imo you should look away from the UK at Belgium, Turkey and Spain for some top FUE options.

@JeanLDD i wasn’t offering advice, I was giving my opinion, as the OP asked in his updated post.

So...you “absolutely” would not listen to 1,000 additional grafts in my opinion but yours is 1,700 more grafts for his frontal area that wasn’t completely bald..LOL!

Yes, OP, please absolutely do not listen to a rational approach, and do not give your surgeon the opportunity to assess and explain what went wrong, yup! Lol.

By the way @JeanLDD, I’m not impressed by UK HT clinics at all, OP hasn’t said where he had it done so you just assumed. I will agree tho, much better quality in Belgium, Spain, Turkey (at a few select clinics). But to offer advice for OP to get 1,700 additional grafts and just go to said countries to do it without hearing his surgeons assessment and then a discussion on what choice is proper to go with is something I would absolutely not listen to, it’s jumping the gun.

Edited by VicTNYC

1 hour ago, VicTNYC said:

@JeanLDD i wasn’t offering advice, I was giving my opinion, as the OP asked in his updated post.

So...you “absolutely” would not listen to 1,000 additional grafts in my opinion but yours is 1,700 more grafts for his frontal area that wasn’t completely bald..LOL!

Yes, OP, please absolutely do not listen to a rational approach, and do not give your surgeon the opportunity to assess and explain what went wrong, yup! Lol.

By the way @JeanLDD, I’m not impressed by UK HT clinics at all, OP hasn’t said where he had it done so you just assumed. I will agree tho, much better quality in Belgium, Spain, Turkey (at a few select clinics). But to offer advice for OP to get 1,700 additional grafts and just go to said countries to do it without hearing his surgeons assessment and then a discussion on what choice is proper to go with is something I would absolutely not listen to, it’s jumping the gun.

Its not a rational approach just because you say it calmly, and I mention the original 1700 number because it very clear that barely a few hundred grafts grew in the transplanted area. That was the obvious implication, and unless you're blind you'd see it. 1000 grafts absolutely isn't going to achieve acceptable density in that area, why make 3-4-5 procedures out of this? Its a stupid idea plain and simple.

You're suggesting that he should consider PAYING money even at a discounted rate to the same clinic that gave a poor result. Even if someone goes to a top clinic and has poor results I wouldn't recommend they go back and it doesn't make sense to do so unless purely for financial reasons of a free repair when they can't afford to go elsewhere. They'd benefit from going to a surgeon that utilises separate techniques because there is no guarantee that going through the same experience as prior is going to magically yield better results. Why would it logically be different considering the procedural elements at their clinic will likely be the same for every patient? Of course there are other variables and reasons are unknowable to some degree, but the least risky option is to go elsewhere.

Where did I say he shouldn't hear his surgeons assessment or that he should fly to Turkey for a procedure tomorrow like you seem to imply either?  You're misrepresenting me after criticising a comment you didn't even read properly, or more likely ignored so you could have a bitch about your point being rejected (for good reason).  The quality in the UK is absolutely not at the same level as it is internationally, the countries I mentioned are nearby and have multitudes of options to look at, and I did emphasise "LOOK AT" implying to research, not fly over tomorrow which you suggest I was saying. He should of course do ample research and take his time, but a good conclusion in that case probably not involving going back to a surgeon that yielded a hundred and fifty or so grafts out of 1700.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JeanLDD said:

He should of course do ample research and take his time, but a good conclusion in that case probably not involving going back to a surgeon that yielded a hundred and fifty or so grafts out of 1700.

Do you really think that few grafts have survived? 

I don’t have another £9,000 to get this done again. I’m due to become a Dad for the first time in May so telling the wife that I want to spend that amount of money on another HT probably won’t go down too well. Here’s hoping that the surgeon will help me out 

55 minutes ago, JeanLDD said:

Its not a rational approach just because you say it calmly, and I mention the original 1700 number because it very clear that barely a few hundred grafts grew in the transplanted area. That was the obvious implication, and unless you're blind you'd see it. 1000 grafts absolutely isn't going to achieve acceptable density in that area, why make 3-4-5 procedures out of this? Its a stupid idea plain and simple.

You're suggesting that he should consider PAYING money even at a discounted rate to the same clinic that gave a poor result. Even if someone goes to a top clinic and has poor results I wouldn't recommend they go back and it doesn't make sense to do so unless purely for financial reasons of a free repair when they can't afford to go elsewhere. They'd benefit from going to a surgeon that utilises separate techniques because there is no guarantee that going through the same experience as prior is going to magically yield better results. Why would it logically be different considering the procedural elements at their clinic will likely be the same for every patient? Of course there are other variables and reasons are unknowable to some degree, but the least risky option is to go elsewhere.

Where did I say he shouldn't hear his surgeons assessment or that he should fly to Turkey for a procedure tomorrow like you seem to imply either?  You're misrepresenting me after criticising a comment you didn't even read properly, or more likely ignored so you could have a bitch about your point being rejected (for good reason).  The quality in the UK is absolutely not at the same level as it is internationally, the countries I mentioned are nearby and have multitudes of options to look at, and I did emphasise "LOOK AT" implying to research, not fly over tomorrow which you suggest I was saying. He should of course do ample research and take his time, but a good conclusion in that case probably not involving going back to a surgeon that yielded a hundred and fifty or so grafts out of 1700.

@JeanLDD

1. You do NOT know for sure “barely a few hundred grafts grew”, yes, it’s not good density as I’ve said a couple of times and that I would not be happy,, but you’re assuming once again even before knowing the clinic or doctor or an up close assessment by OP’s own doctor. If there was variable not on the part of the doctor that contributed to the low yeild and a touch-up with 1,000 or many more grafts was agreed upon, I, of course would want OP to get it done for free, but, if a doctor offers a discount that’s not something I’m completely against.

2. So...according to you, 1,000 grafts would not be enough to achieve desirable density in the temporal & hairline region that OP seeks....LOL....not even from a prime surgeon I guess...lol...I bet there are no photos on this forum of 1,000 grafts producing good density on a similar hair pattern as OP’s, yup.

3. Your assumption in blaming the clinic in OP’s case here without full review.....BUT...NOT ASMED (which is YOUR clinic) in your comments on Payams case...again LOL.

(I agree, and always believed, if not happy which a clinic/doctor from sub-par results then best thing to do is research and seek a better doctor, I’ve always said that In many various posts I’ve commented on on here....but AFTER the procedure has been given time to mature and with final assessment)

4. I am not so sensitive with having my comment or opinion rejected, I’m cool with it  and welcome it and thinks it important in order to be unbiased on here..... YOU seem to be the one with that sensitivity according to many of your comments in various posts and long-winded diatribes...especially in defense of a particular Turkish clinic. I have never said in any post “ABSOLUTELY DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS POSTER”..People’s opinions speak for themselves it’s not your job to suggest who someone should listen to or not and frankly that very very arrogant of you, Jean.

5. Where did I say that the quality was the same in the UK as those in the country’s you mentioned ?...I’m not aware of what country OP had his procedure in, you just assumed....I’m reserving a fuller opinion once OP discloses what clinic & doctor.

6. I love how you’ve assumed and concluded from OP’s photos that “yielded a hundred and fifty or so grafts out of 1700” without a close-up in-person examination...you must have super-human abilities...LOL.

@benji2014  Hope you demand your surgeon give you some proper honest answers when you meet with him and offers you a good solution/options for you to consider, it is definitely a sub-par result for which you paid for better, and that sucks, but in my opinion it doesn’t look at all like that only 150 or so grafts survived...

Looking forward to your update on what the doctor assesses.

Congrats on your impending fatherhood!

Good Luck!

On 11/23/2018 at 2:30 AM, benji2014 said:

Once I’ve had my one year update meeting with my surgeon I will share details, I just think it’s fair to let him have a chance to have assess before I name him and potentially harm his reputation. Anyone can make a mistake and his results normally look amazing and I’ve yet to see any negative comments about him.

Hope yours turns out well. 4 months is still very early as you know. Have you posted your progress on here?

Yeah it should be on my profile somewhere. I had 3070 grafts so hoping it comes out ok cos I only had my hairline lowered slightly and temples filled

On 11/23/2018 at 2:52 AM, benji2014 said:

I’m a few weeks away from my one year anniversary. At this stage it looks like £9,000 down the toilet to be honest. Would any of you guys be happy with this result considering my starting position? 

benji2014, I think your HT is within the realm of what could be expected.

The left photo is of my head at 1,600 grafts  FUT covering an area that's smaller than yours. My doc advised me then that I might have to do a second round as the clinic's is not into high density transplant.

The right photo is yours at 100+ more grafts and  covering a significantly larger area than mine. If you are going to do a touch up that covers about an inch/2.54cm into your hairline, you'll need around 1,000grafts  to thicken it up. (That's adding about 30grafts per square centimeter.)

zWeek01.jpg

Edited by fortuneplant

14 minutes ago, fortuneplant said:

benji2014, I think your HT is within the realm of what could be expected.

The left photo is of my head at 1,600 grafts  FUT covering an area that's smaller than yours. My doc advised me then that I might have to do a second round as the clinic's is not into high density transplant.

The right photo is yours at 100+ more grafts and  covering a significantly larger area than mine. If you are going to do a touch up that covers about an inch/2.54cm into your hairline, you'll need around 1,000grafts  to thicken it up. (That's adding about 30grafts per square centimeter.)

zWeek01.jpg

Thanks for sharing your picture and your feedback. What stage are you at now and do you know the number of hairs you had?

Your hairline was lowered quite a lot at the front whereas mine was not lowered at all in that area just a bit of filling in. Most of the grafts went into the temple areas and I also didn’t have anything into the temple points as my hair is strong in that area. None of the images on my surgeons website show the lack of density in the temple areas that I have received

For me, I think my transplant looks a bit of a mess. My right side is higher but thicker than the left side. It doesn’t really resemble the hairline shape that you see in that post-op picture. I think something must have gone wrong during my recovery as I can’t imagine it was designed to look the way it does

Hope all turns out well with your transplant!

Pretty sparse result IMO.  However, this could be a problem with communication  and plan and not yield. 

That initial area is very large for less than 1800 grafts. 

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

1 hour ago, Spanker said:

Pretty sparse result IMO.  However, this could be a problem with communication  and plan and not yield. 

That initial area is very large for less than 1800 grafts. 

My surgeon is very conservative in hairline design which is fine and we agreed on the hairline position. However, does a conservative hairline also mean poor density? Not in my opinion and poor density wasn’t something that was discussed. 

It’s so frustrating that after over 5 years of research and considering a transplant I have ended up in this situation 

9 hours ago, benji2014 said:

However, does a conservative hairline also mean poor density?

No. It just that the number of grafts used and the area covered indicate it's not a high density HT in the first place. As a rule of thumb, 40grafts per square cm give the illusion of density; your post-ops pic looks to be lower than that. (And you still have to factor in miniaturization, shock loss, and % of FUE grafts that did not survive like the ones around your hairline.) 

As a point of comparison, your two blank triangles on top of your head covered a similar area as my front hairline HT. I used just over 1,600 grafts or 3200 hairs. My growth/density, FUT which I did a year ago, came out ok. Not dense but good enough. Your doc not only did your triangles, but also used your 1700+ grafts to cover the whole area between the two blank triangles.

Let say, it'd take 1,600 grafts to cover your two blank triangles, am not sure an extra 100grafts is enough to cover your thinning forelock/dark triangle in the middle. 

zWeek01v3.jpg

Edited by fortuneplant

Hey Benji,

Sorry to see that the results you had expected are not there. It´s not the worst I´ve seen and there is of course some improvement there but ... when you spend all that money, you want to see something a lot better with at least good if not great density.

What is the clinic saying? Are you visiting them on your 1 year Post-OP?

Best of luck!

22 hours ago, fortuneplant said:

No. It just that the number of grafts used and the area covered indicate it's not a high density HT in the first place. As a rule of thumb, 40grafts per square cm give the illusion of density; your post-ops pic looks to be lower than that. (And you still have to factor in miniaturization, shock loss, and % of FUE grafts that did not survive like the ones around your hairline.) 

As a point of comparison, your two blank triangles on top of your head covered a similar area as my front hairline HT. I used just over 1,600 grafts or 3200 hairs. My growth/density, FUT which I did a year ago, came out ok. Not dense but good enough. Your doc not only did your triangles, but also used your 1700+ grafts to cover the whole area between the two blank triangles.

Let say, it'd take 1,600 grafts to cover your two blank triangles, am not sure an extra 100grafts is enough to cover your thinning forelock/dark triangle in the middle. 

zWeek01v3.jpg

Thanks for your input, appreciated. I wasn’t given any info by my surgeon around the number of grafts per sq cm so that is something I can bring up with him at my 1 year review

1 hour ago, Zinedine said:

Hey Benji,

Sorry to see that the results you had expected are not there. It´s not the worst I´ve seen and there is of course some improvement there but ... when you spend all that money, you want to see something a lot better with at least good if not great density.

What is the clinic saying? Are you visiting them on your 1 year Post-OP?

Best of luck!

Clinic are saying the usual -  I have to wait for the one year visit (booked in for the 21st December) for them to assess. I’m disappointed with their aftercare, they have basically refused to see me until the 1 year stage. All of my correspondence has been with the patient advisor and I haven’t heard from the surgeon. Patient advisor said that they will “work with me” if the results aren’t optimal but their idea of optimal will undoubtedly be different to mine.

I just have to wait and see, they might be really good and fix it for me but I’m just so gutted that £9,000 and one year later my hair is not really any different

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 10:33 AM, fortuneplant said:

zWeek01v3.jpg

Get your eyes checked, virtually nothing has grown. Literally no more than a few hundred grafts, utterly delusional comments about a large area. 

Obviously some people here clearly not actually looking at the post-op, have poor eyesight or need to ditch the low definition CRT monitors but the forelock has a very small amount of grafts for reinforcement, the temples and very front are the areas with 90% of the grafts. 

image.png.021880b3ff0b56402b62e2f74ca9bb1c.png

Use your god given eyes, the area is clearly placed with a reasonably standard and high density, its not significantly different than your case.

OP, you're likely not entitled to a refund but I would certainly ask and see what the clinic will do. I would not go back for a touchup if that is offered.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2018 at 4:38 AM, VicTNYC said:

@JeanLDD

1. You do NOT know for sure “barely a few hundred grafts grew”, yes, it’s not good density as I’ve said a couple of times and that I would not be happy,, but you’re assuming once again even before knowing the clinic or doctor or an up close assessment by OP’s own doctor. If there was variable not on the part of the doctor that contributed to the low yeild and a touch-up with 1,000 or many more grafts was agreed upon, I, of course would want OP to get it done for free, but, if a doctor offers a discount that’s not something I’m completely against.

2. So...according to you, 1,000 grafts would not be enough to achieve desirable density in the temporal & hairline region that OP seeks....LOL....not even from a prime surgeon I guess...lol...I bet there are no photos on this forum of 1,000 grafts producing good density on a similar hair pattern as OP’s, yup.

3. Your assumption in blaming the clinic in OP’s case here without full review.....BUT...NOT ASMED (which is YOUR clinic) in your comments on Payams case...again LOL.

(I agree, and always believed, if not happy which a clinic/doctor from sub-par results then best thing to do is research and seek a better doctor, I’ve always said that In many various posts I’ve commented on on here....but AFTER the procedure has been given time to mature and with final assessment)

4. I am not so sensitive with having my comment or opinion rejected, I’m cool with it  and welcome it and thinks it important in order to be unbiased on here..... YOU seem to be the one with that sensitivity according to many of your comments in various posts and long-winded diatribes...especially in defense of a particular Turkish clinic. I have never said in any post “ABSOLUTELY DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS POSTER”..People’s opinions speak for themselves it’s not your job to suggest who someone should listen to or not and frankly that very very arrogant of you, Jean.

5. Where did I say that the quality was the same in the UK as those in the country’s you mentioned ?...I’m not aware of what country OP had his procedure in, you just assumed....I’m reserving a fuller opinion once OP discloses what clinic & doctor.

6. I love how you’ve assumed and concluded from OP’s photos that “yielded a hundred and fifty or so grafts out of 1700” without a close-up in-person examination...you must have super-human abilities...LOL.

Long winded nonsense. Get your eyes checked.

10 hours ago, JeanLDD said:

Long winded nonsense. Get your eyes checked.

@JeanLDD

Dude, it’s quite obvious you need to get your ASMED bias checked.

You’re calling my response to you “Long winded nonsense “? LOL

The bloviating JeanASMED pot calling my kettle reply black...err long winded nonsense. 😂

Your arrogance is hilarious.

Stop trying to belittle other people’s opinions...that’s not your job,  you are not ALL-Knowing, it shows your maturity level...err...immaturity. Just. State. Your. Opinion. and move on.

Edited by VicTNYC