First haircut after hair transplant?

I had my FUE procedure of about 2,000 grafts in the frontal section of my scalp (was diffuse thinning and my hair was see through all the way to my mid scalp) 3 weeks ago and I was wondering if it’s ok to get a haircut as I only shaved have the top of my head and the rest of my hair is about 2 inches long so it looks pretty ridiculous with the front that had been buzzed. I still have at least 80 percent of the transplanted hair and I started washing my hair aggressively since day 12 as the redness has completely gone away in the front and back so I assume that the hairs might stick a while before they shed. I’m tired of wearing a hat everywhere because my haircut is uneven so I wanted to know if it’s ok to go to a barber to have it trimmed to match the buzzed front and if there is anything I should let the barber know about before he cuts my hair? Example like no blow dryer, etc? 

Well at three weeks post-op the donor and recipient area should be well healed by now right?

Sure you can have a haircut that evens everything out, it will look much better.  But just keep in mind that eventually, you are going to shed your graft hair.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I will be interested in others opinions on washing your hair aggressively at this point since I am also at the 3 week point, and I am still being very gentle with the transplants, and using only baby shampoo.  I did not have the recipient area shaved, but I did cut it much shorter than normal before the procedure.  In retrospect I would have just got a buzz cut because the sides and back look ridiculous.  Just tell your barber to stay away from the area that is already short. 

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

1 hour ago, Dazed said:

I will be interested in others opinions on washing your hair aggressively at this point since I am also at the 3 week point, and I am still being very gentle with the transplants, and using only baby shampoo.  I did not have the recipient area shaved, but I did cut it much shorter than normal before the procedure.  In retrospect I would have just got a buzz cut because the sides and back look ridiculous.  Just tell your barber to stay away from the area that is already short. 

In my opinion, it is better to have the crusts removed as soon as possible as I already had hair where I did the transplant and the crusts were blocking my native hair from growing back. A clean scalp is a healthy scalp. I was very gentle too until by day 12 I realized the crusts were just building up and I used my fingertips to rub them out.

All of my scabs are gone, but I am still being gentle.  I don't have the build up that you speak of.  I have a large bottle of baby shampoo that I will continue using until it is used up, which could take 3 more weeks. I pour the shampoo over my head using a 44 oz. cup, and rinse with about 5 cups of water.  I don't even towel dry my hair.  I let it air dry.  I also am still spraying on a saline solution about 5 times a day.  I also have hair where the transplant went and now my hair looks pretty much normal with no scabs or redness.  I do wear a very loose hat because the shaved area in the back and sides has not grown out yet.  I thought I had more gray hair in the back, but it is coming in pretty dark.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

At three weeks post-op all of the crusts are ready to be removed and normal shampooing is highly recommended to attain a clean scalp and environment for the grafts to regrow.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Regarding to that last reply I do not get why should we move into a normal shampoo, at the clinic I was told to be as gentle as posible with my hair for the entire process, and they highly recommended baby shampoo just like Dazed.

I don't get the point where a baby shampoo could not be a good product in order to attain a clean scalp / environment for the grafts to regrow.

Try reading the ingredients on a bottle of baby shampoo and you will see that it's loaded with chemical additives.

Gillenator