FUE graft growth?

Hey guys

is it normal for grafted hair to grow at a slower pace/stop growing when first transplanted? I’ve had an fue about 12 days ago and my newly implanted grafts are either growing very slow or not at all. All of my hair was buzzed but my donor was cut a little shorter during extractions. My native hair continues to grow and it looks a bit awkward.

Edited by jj51702

Typically when an FUE procedure is done, the donor area is shaven, (no hair with the follicular unit).  Consider the aperture the doctor made at the time of the procedure. a crust will develop in each of the incisions and days later, as per the instructions of the surgeon, you can scrub all that off.  It is typically 3-4 months later the the hair will begin growing.  (This is the time it takes the follicle to root).  Hair then starts fairly thin and it keeps improving.  It will be at about a year before you'll notice a matured result.  Remember that it is the hair from the donor area that was transplanted. Eventually it will be the same quality hair that is in the donor area.  Be patient.

It is likely you are being self aware since you just had the procedure.  Perhaps cutting all the hair short at this time will help to even things out.

On 10/2/2018 at 7:20 AM, jj51702 said:

...My native hair continues to grow and it looks a bit awkward.

Well, the good news is that your problem will resolve itself soon. The bad news is that the transplanted hair that is not growing will fall out. And day now. Hopefully your surgeon mentioned that.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Spaceman said:

Well, the good news is that your problem will resolve itself soon. The bad news is that the transplanted hair that is not growing will fall out. And day now. Hopefully your surgeon mentioned that.

Thanks, so I take it this is normal?  Are these grafts shocked and not grow because of that?

Yes, its totally normal and expected that due to trauma of surgery nearly all of the transplanted grafts will shed their hair and enter a resting phase. They will come back, but not all at the same time. Growth usually starts around month three or four, usually peaks from months five to seven, and will trail off until about one year. For some the process is a little earlier, for others a little later.

• Thanks 1

Good responses above.  Spaceman is spot-on.  Your transplanted tiny hairs will shed in a few days but be patient, you will have nice new growth in 3-5 months.  Keep us posted.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.