Seboherric Dermatitis/Itchy Scalp before going into HT

I have an itchy scalp and my dermatologist says it's dermatitis and prescribed clobex (spray) for itch. the doc also prescribed Finastride for hair loss (I went in for the itch, not hair loss).

I used all kinds of oils/massage/shampoos etc but the best I can do it keep it barely under control. The area that itches is EXACTLY the area where I'm bald/diffused. 

My questions is has anyone else done an HT with an itchy scalp/dermatitis? Are there any cases/examples I can refer to? I'm planning on visiting a dermapathologist but also worried about the big spot that the biospsy will leave in the scalp.

HT1.jpg

Edited by Panamera13

Have you not had any success with the Clobex? I use the generic form of that and it works like magic for me. I have a similar situation and will have flare ups in my crown (the area where my hair is slightly thinner and may need to be addressed some years down the line). If the Clobex isn't working for you, speak to your dermatologist about other options.

It's also important to see if there's any correlation between any products you're using on your hair and the flare ups. I've found that I'm quite allergic to a lot of products, and also need to wash my hair every day (or at the very least, every other day). For most people, it's often recommended not to wash your hair daily, but I simply can't get away without doing it or else I end up with a really bad breakout. 

• Thanks 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Because there are such vast differences in the degree of acuteness with SD, only a licensed physician who is very experienced in treating SD would have the best answers.

Some HT surgeons have backgrounds in dermatology and often are the most helpful regarding opinions between individuals who have SD and their respective potential candidacies for HT procedures, again depending on how acute their condition is.

• Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 9/28/2018 at 3:35 PM, pkipling said:

Have you not had any success with the Clobex? I use the generic form of that and it works like magic for me. I have a similar situation and will have flare ups in my crown (the area where my hair is slightly thinner and may need to be addressed some years down the line). If the Clobex isn't working for you, speak to your dermatologist about other options.

It's also important to see if there's any correlation between any products you're using on your hair and the flare ups. I've found that I'm quite allergic to a lot of products, and also need to wash my hair every day (or at the very least, every other day). For most people, it's often recommended not to wash your hair daily, but I simply can't get away without doing it or else I end up with a really bad breakout. 

Can you tell me how much you pay for the generic clobex? I pay around 125.00 but generic sounds a better option.

How did you manage the HT with dermatitis? Did you use it right after HT? Do you have to use it even today?

Edited by Panamera13

On 9/30/2018 at 5:00 PM, Panamera13 said:

Can you tell me how much you pay for the generic clobex? I pay around 125.00 but generic sounds a better option.

How did you manage the HT with dermatitis? Did you use it right after HT? Do you have to use it even today?

I fortunately have really good insurance, so I pay around $10 for it with a copay. That said, the generic will undoubtedly be way cheaper that $125 even without insurance, so I would look into that. 

I wasn't treating my scalp with Clobex at the time of my hair transplant, and I only use it now on an "as needed" basis. I've found ways of keeping my outbreaks at bay, so I don't use it regularly. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I suffer from quite severe bouts of seboherric dermatitis. Tried various oils, shampoos, medication myself. The only thing that has really cleared it for me is a sulphar soap bar that I use that also contains salicylic acid. Leaves the scalp with no redness or itch. Currently looking into a HT and had the same concerns about my seboherric dermatitis causing issues if I go ahead with a HT but have seen a big improvements since using the soap bar.

4 hours ago, Fozzie said:

I suffer from quite severe bouts of seboherric dermatitis. Tried various oils, shampoos, medication myself. The only thing that has really cleared it for me is a sulphar soap bar that I use that also contains salicylic acid. Leaves the scalp with no redness or itch. Currently looking into a HT and had the same concerns about my seboherric dermatitis causing issues if I go ahead with a HT but have seen a big improvements since using the soap bar.

Can you please share the brand of the soap?  Where do you buy it from?

I have Sd, didn't affect the outcome of my procedure. Your physician will take note of it and if it has the potential to be an obstacle.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I have SEB derm and have looked into this extensively.  I have seen quite a few cases of good transplants from Dr Lorenzo in patients with scalp conditions.  

He documents it in the case summary on his vimeo channel. 

I have contacted him previously about how to manage the condition peri operatively and he said he prescribes clobex shampoo for a week pre op. 

I haven't had a procedure yet. But when I do decide to get one, it will be with him. 

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

In general, patients with SD can have HT safely. You and your doc will likely take steps to really get your SD under control prior to surgery (there are many treatments, most of which can make SD much better although nothing really makes it go away totally or permanently). 

Are you experiencing a harsh breakout in the countdown to surgery? Make sure you communicate this concern to your physician.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Visit with a derm-pathologist.  Find the reason.  If the donor area is affected, this can all transfer to the top.  Once the condition is not active, you can move forward.

You seem to have diffused thinning throughout.  Be judicious with your grafts when and if you move forward.  You can never make a mistake by placing grafts towards the front.  They will serve to frame your face.  If you are going to be thinner, let it be in the crown.  Because of the whirl we all have, being thin in that area is natural.  

You seem to have a lot of miniaturized hair.  Medical therapies should be a priority if your goal is to keep as much hair as you can.  And do it while you have it.  Once gone, unlikely it will return.