Do you have to shave your head AFTER and FUT

Hey guys,

Ive seen alot of people with shave heads after and FUT talking about going back into work in a few days and having the scar show. 

My question is do you have to shave AFTER an FUT? I know you dont before, but ive seen a few people do it after and im just confused. I thought you didnt have to? I already looked around and couldnt find a hard yes or no.

Thanks!

I had FUT in 2011 and I didn't shave anything.  My hair covered the strip area completely and the recipient area was not shaved so the biggest problem was the scabs which fell off in 2 weeks.  I just had FUE and if I had it to do over again I would have had a buzz cut before the surgery, because the shaved back and sides looks ridiculous.  Again the recipient area was not shaved, and 2.5 weeks post-op it looks pretty normal.

• Like 1

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

3 hours ago, Dazed said:

I had FUT in 2011 and I didn't shave anything.  My hair covered the strip area completely and the recipient area was not shaved so the biggest problem was the scabs which fell off in 2 weeks.  I just had FUE and if I had it to do over again I would have had a buzz cut before the surgery, because the shaved back and sides looks ridiculous.  Again the recipient area was not shaved, and 2.5 weeks post-op it looks pretty normal.

So your saying our scars scabs were off in 2 weeks? How long ago till the redness went away?

I have never had a major problem with redness, and I just checked it out in the mirror and I don't see redness 2.5 weeks post 2300 FUE.  Nobody at work noticed the transplant when I returned to work after 2 weeks in 2011.  Except for the shaved donor area nobody would know I had a transplant done this time either.  I am kind of a quick healer.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Dazed's "non-redness" is NOT the norm. Most take longer than that. The redness of my recipient area dissappeared after 3.5months; the color of my donor area - the FUT strip scar - became normal only after 9 months.

My scabs were minimal.

Edited by fortuneplant

2 hours ago, fortuneplant said:

Dazed's "non-redness" is NOT the norm. Most take longer than that. The redness of my recipient area dissappeared after 3.5months; the color of my donor area - the FUT strip scar - became normal only after 9 months.

My scabs were minimal.

I can't comment on the FUT strip scar because it was covered by hair the entire time.  Oddly, when my donor area was shaved down it appeared that there were two strip scars, but I know I only had one strip.  I couldn't explain it and neither could the doctor.  I just was not affected by redness.  I just looked in the mirror again and there is no redness. 

• Like 1

No, on the day of surgery they shave the donor area but that is closed and covered by your hair after the strip is surgically removed by your physician.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016