Weak bladder after stopping Finasteride permanently

psychopomp2

Hi

I'm aged 42 and after taking Finasteride 1mg daily for ~ 13 years, I stopped taking it for good a few months ago. Mainly to see if it would help get rid of my 'brain fog' and improve my mood swings and I can honestly say it has made a huge difference...so coupled with these improvements and taking this alternative medication for hair loss, I won't be going back to Finasteride at all.

However one major "drawback" of stopping Finasteride for good is that my bladder has become weak (I actually noticed this after a few days of stopping Finasteride) and as a result, I require more frequent trips to the loo. I drink a 1-2 litres of water a day and will need to visit the toilet anywhere between 5-10 times day!! I did see my GP and she said this is perfectly normal after coming off Finasteride but could give me some medication to help restore normal function of my bladder. I refused medication and instead will start to do exercises to strengthen my pelvic floor muscles which *should* improve my bladder function.

So my question to those who stopped taking Finasteride after long term use: did you also experience a weak bladder after stopping and did your bladder eventually return to its normal function?

Cheers :)

• Administrators

Are you sure its not your prostate that grew? Initially, thats what finasteride was used for to treat enlarged prostates. It could be that now you’re no longer using the medication your prostate grew.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Yes

7 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Are you sure its not your prostate that grew? Initially, thats what finasteride was used for to treat enlarged prostates. It could be that now you’re no longer using the medication your prostate grew.

Are you saying that long term use of Finasteride can actually enlarge a prostrate? I'm pretty sure my prostrate didn't grow after i stopped taking Finasteride because i experienced the weak bladder symptoms within a day or two of stopping finasteride.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, psychopomp2 said:

Yes

Are you saying that long term use of Finasteride can actually enlarge a prostrate? I'm pretty sure my prostrate didn't grow after i stopped taking Finasteride because i experienced the weak bladder symptoms within a day or two of stopping finasteride.

Now I’m saying continued use of finasteride will keep your prostate smaller, but once you get off the DHT will enlarge your prostate, this is common knowledge.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.