My 2nd FUT (2520 grafts) Transplant w Dr. Scott Alexander of Arizona

ptt60

A link to results from my first 11/2016 FUT (3109 grafts) hair transplant w Dr. Scott Alexander can be found in my previous post here: https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/47443-my-recent-3109-fut-grafts-transplant-experience-w-dr-alexander-of-arizona/

Hello,

As promised, I am updating you on results from my second FUT transplant (2520 grafts) w Dr. Scott Alexander. I traveled to Arizona on 9/18/2018 and met w Dr. Alexander in the afternoon of the same day to discuss/agree on game plan for my next day FUT. My primary goal/program minimum was to cover the crown area and program maximum was to add some grafts (if my donor would allow/there are any left) to the most needing areas in the front. My hope was that I could get a mega session of ~ 3500 grafts and use about 3000 to cover the crown and the rest to add some density in the front. Dr. Alexander examined my donor and told me that due to the need to remove the old scar and leave me only with (the new) one, he does not think that he could get that many. He further stated that he will be happy if he could get ~ 2300-2500 grafts and that this will allow him to get a dissent coverage of my large bald crown area. 

The next (surgery) day - 9/19/2018, I got to the clinic (Dr. Alexander has moved his practice to a very nice new building /office) early and we were able to start right after Dr. Alexander drew the areas that he wanted to work on my scalp. We started the procedure at 8:00 am and finished about 5:00 pm. The procedure went very smoothly and I had no pain and due to the fact that I requested 0.5 mg of Xanax instead of 1 mg, I was not dizzy and quite alert especially after 2:00 pm. Dr. Alexander is a master of his art, his team works as a well oiled machine and as you can see from the pics he/his team were able to get 2520 grafts and to completely cover my large crown area and also add some grafts to where they were needed the most in the front. I am very happy with the outcome and now will be waiting to see how it turns out. I think, I should be seeing a beginning of a new growth by the 4th month. I am very well aware of how long it will take for it to fully mature and will wait for an year and perhaps 2-3 more months before I could see the final results from this second procedure. I will update on progress now and then.

All the best,

Dr. P

(pics coming shortly - tonight)

DSC_0213_Crop_Front_Small.jpg

DSC_0216_Crop-Small.jpg

2018PostOp1_Small.JPG

DSC_0646_Crop_3.jpg

PostOp4_Crop_2.jpg

DSC_0635_Crop.jpg

Edited by ptt60
Adding Pre and Post-op Pictures

Although I’m an FUE advocate I wish you well and good growing.  I also wanted to add that after my second surgery, the growth rate was a bit slower than after the first.  So, if your initial growth is slower than your first surgery, don’t be worried, it will grow.  Everyone is different but I just wanted to share my experience.  Happy growing and best of luck to you.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I had 2000 FUT in 2011 and was very satisfied.  I would have done FUT again but I moved 1400 miles and didn't want the travel.  I had 2300 FUE 2.5 weeks ago, and it will be a long time before I can report on results.  Good luck on your 2nd FUT.  I think FUT is easier than FUE.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:01 AM, Dazed said:

I had 2000 FUT in 2011 and was very satisfied.  I would have done FUT again but I moved 1400 miles and didn't want the travel.  I had 2300 FUE 2.5 weeks ago, and it will be a long time before I can report on results.  Good luck on your 2nd FUT.  I think FUT is easier than FUE.

I might have to do a 3rd one after this one to fill out some gaps. Can you elaborate on the FUE being more difficult than FUT? Where did you do your FUE? How was the post recovery FUT vs. FUE?

Thanks and Best of Luck!

Dr. P

I've never had FUT but your head recovers very quickly from the tiny FUE incisions.  I just never wanted an 8 inch linear scar on the back of my head forever with FUT.  I recently re-posted pictures of my recovery from each of my surgeries at my website... MyFUEhairtransplant.com

Keep us posted here with your progress.  Best of luck.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

53 minutes ago, ptt60 said:

I might have to do a 3rd one after this one to fill out some gaps. Can you elaborate on the FUE being more difficult than FUT? Where did you do your FUE? How was the post recovery FUT vs. FUE?

Thanks and Best of Luck!

Dr. P

I just found the FUT easier, because you don't have to walk around with that ridiculous haircut for months.  If you want to wear your hair short go with the FUEFUE you don't have to go back to get stitches removed.  I don't wear my hair short so FUT was easier for me.  There is no real recovery time for the FUE donor area.  It is a trade off, you look normal quicker with the FUT because the incision is hidden by your hair.  This makes it easier to pull it off when you return to work.  The recipient area comes in at the same rate.  I know that if I ever got FUE again, and I may for the crown area, I would go ahead and get a buzz cut before the procedure.  Let people get used to you with a buzz for a couple days, and it won't seem so weird when you return to work.  I am retired so I just have to wear a hat when I go into public.  It has been a month, and my haircut still looks like a drunk on Meth cut it.  I was off work for 2 weeks with my FUT in 2011 and when I went back nobody noticed.  FUT is quicker because the extraction with FUE is a lengthy process.  It really depends on what your priorities are.  Our hair is not that different, and I got good results from my first transplant.  You may be able to harvest more donors if you went to FUE next.  You have a larger crown area to cover than I do.  I really don't expect to see results of this procedure for 4-6 months, but if it turns out as well as the 1st I will be ecstatic.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:49 AM, JohnCasper said:

I've never had FUT but your head recovers very quickly from the tiny FUE incisions.  I just never wanted an 8 inch linear scar on the back of my head forever with FUT.  I recently re-posted pictures of my recovery from each of my surgeries at my website... MyFUEhairtransplant.com

Keep us posted here with your progress.  Best of luck.

John,

Looks great! 

Congrats!

Dr. P