Richard Keller, MD./Chicago/NSHTS/3,650 FU

63 year old with a class 6 hair loss pattern who wished to have a more youthful appearance.  The patient states he is extremely 

happy with his 1 year results and his wife is ecstatic with his new look.  Patient has previously been on medical therapy without

much success.  Photos shown are pre-op, intra-op, and 1 year post-op using 3,650 FU.

Comments welcome.

Dr. Keller

DSCN1062.JPG

DSCN1068.JPG

DSCN1065.JPG

DSCN1066.JPG

DSCN1064.JPG

DSCN1070.JPG

DSCN1188.JPG

DSCN9569.JPG

DSCN9562.JPG

DSCN9568.JPG

DSCN9560.JPG

DSCN9564.JPG

DSCN9565.JPG

Dr. Keller is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

• Administrators

Great results, how many grafts were concentrated on his crown? Im impressed to see it’s fully covered. Equally impressed to see he has almost no grey hair at 63 ; )

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Excellent result.

One minor 'criticism' if you can call it that.  Why not use more grafts?  He's lost a lot of hair so appears there's no risk in doing that.  I have seen results where 6,000 - 8,000 grafts were used on cases such as this which obviously allows for greater coverage.

thanks

A lot of doctors don't feel comfortable doing that many grafts because of extent of trauma and scar enclosure and stretching.

Many doctors think that they can do 2 procedures (3000 grafts + 3000 grafts) and have a better outcome.

Hasson and Wong is really the king of mega sessions and there aren't that many competitors when you get into the number of grafts your talking about.

Hello,

Thank you for the positive comments.  The patient is very happy with his results.  3650 follicular units were utilized due to the patient's donor laxity and the his budget  for the procedure.  Melvin, approx. 900 FU were placed in the crown region to match existing hairs.  

6000-8000 follicular units are not possible in one session unless you split the follicular units into smaller grafts.  If you split the follicular units into smaller grafts you could injure the follicular sub-structures, which decrease the longevity and survival of those grafts.  Approx. 10,000 follicular units exist in the donor region.  Donor laxity does not allow 8000 true follicular units to be extracted in most patients-this would cause donor depletion, which would not allow for future restoration if the patient continues to lose hair.  I consider the patient's family history an important part of his plans.

My results made a great improvement in this patient's overall appearance.

Regards, Dr. Keller

Dr. Keller is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

• 1 month later...

Doc those are spectacular results considering it's 3600 grafts and the balding area is very significant. The crown density now is pretty amazing

does this patient have tremendous donor density and very coarse hair?  What would you say contributes to such a significant difference with only 3600 grafts?

Edited by AnalogFeel