If I were to have a hair transplant in the future

anonym1234

Hello everyone

I am a young 20-year-old man from Denmark who suffers from MPB.  I have had a consultation with one of the few hair transplant doctors in Denmark (dr. Zontos) who has told me that I should start using Finasteride to prevent any further hair loss.

Therefore I am going to have a consultation with my docotor tomorrow to make him prescribe me finasteride.

If I were to have hair transplant in the future to recreate my hair line (and temples? i dont know if they have reeceded as well) who would be the most qualified doctors in Europe? Money is not an issue.

Thank you

Mathias 

39760628_292656068134073_414024157160800256_n.jpg

39883505_228036344532110_6572407377247600640_n.jpg

39900478_299745260607378_3703974740893892608_n.jpg

hair 2.PNG

• Administrators

Preserve what you have, trust me, right now you want a juvenile hairline, but if you bald further and crown thins more, youll need to know how to effectively create coverage with a limited amount lf grafts.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Anonym1234,  At this stage (and this is going to sound easier said then done) I wouldn't stress about your hairline. You have a thick amount in your frontal third. I was at a similar stage at your age and would have regretted getting it done so early as my hairloss increased. I'm glad I waited otherwise I would have, at the time, just filled in my temples and ended up with floating islands of hair on my head.

Keep researching and checking out different surgeons, all in all know one can really make the recommendation for you. You have to be comfortable with the Dr and their results. Try some natural remedies such as Biotin and Saw Palmetto to preserve what you have and then in 5-8 years (depending on the progress of you hairloss) start reaching out to Dr's to evaluate you. 

12/2017 - 3500 Grafts- Dr. Emrah Cinik

Follow my progress:

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, anonym1234 said:

Hello again Melvin.

I totally agree with you.

I just wondered what the best surgeon(s) would be if I were to have a hair transplant in the future.

Thank you.

In Europe, Dr. Feriduni, Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Devroye, Dr. Reddy, Dr. Farjo, Dr. Lupunzula etc. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

11 minutes ago, lukeyb1687 said:

Anonym1234,  At this stage (and this is going to sound easier said then done) I wouldn't stress about your hairline. You have a thick amount in your frontal third. I was at a similar stage at your age and would have regretted getting it done so early as my hairloss increased. I'm glad I waited otherwise I would have, at the time, just filled in my temples and ended up with floating islands of hair on my head.

Keep researching and checking out different surgeons, all in all know one can really make the recommendation for you. You have to be comfortable with the Dr and their results. Try some natural remedies such as Biotin and Saw Palmetto to preserve what you have and then in 5-8 years (depending on the progress of you hairloss) start reaching out to Dr's to evaluate you. 

Hi Like

Thank you for your comment. 

I have just started taking Propecia in order to prevent any further hair loss (hopefully).

And you think I should be at least 25-30 years old If I were to have a hair transplant? Even though my hair loss maybe (hopefully) will slow down rapidly or even completely stop because of Propecia?

Thank you.

7 minutes ago, anonym1234 said:

Hi Like

Thank you for your comment. 

I have just started taking Propecia in order to prevent any further hair loss (hopefully).

And you think I should be at least 25-30 years old If I were to have a hair transplant? Even though my hair loss maybe (hopefully) will slow down rapidly or even completely stop because of Propecia?

Thank you.

Personally, I don't think anyone should have a transplant until closer to 30. The reason being, even with Propecia you will only be slowing down any hair loss, it won't stop it completely. Also if you stop Propecia you will see the hair loss catch up quickly. 

If you wait a few more years you will be able to notice what is happening more so with your hairloss progression. At 22 I had just slight temple recession, similar to yours, by the time I was 26 a lot of my frontal third was gone, by 30 I had a few stragglers left. I had a few consultations in my 20's and all the docs told me to wait as they've seen a lot of eager guys coming in to fix their hairloss now and not thinking about the short term future loss. It sucks! Don't get me wrong, I was head strong and determined that further hairloss wouldn't happen to me...well low and behold it did and I would have been in a worst state of mind. 

Be patient and just keep researching, but at the same time don't let it become an obsession as it will take advantage of you if you let it. Just go out and have fun and check in every so often :)

Edited by lukeyb1687
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12/2017 - 3500 Grafts- Dr. Emrah Cinik

Follow my progress:

• 3 months later...

I agree with the others in this thread.  Wait until your 30’s if you can.  My recession subsided in my early 30’s so the plan going forward was much more defined and the results more predictable.  Best of luck to you but I hope you wait a while.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hi everyone. I have started Finasteride 1 mg about 3-4 months ago and it seems like the hair loss has stopped and furthermore I have noticed some hair regrowing in the temples.

Why should I worry about further hair loss? Doesn't Finasteride stop any further?

I am not going to have a hair transplant until 5-10 years at least.

Just now, anonym1234 said:

Hi everyone. I have started Finasteride 1 mg about 3-4 months ago and it seems like the hair loss has stopped and furthermore I have noticed some hair regrowing in the temples.

Why should I worry about further hair loss? Doesn't Finasteride stop any further?

I am not going to have a hair transplant until 5-10 years at least.

Fin will slow things down but may not stop the rot completely.  I like to think that it could slow down the rate of loss by a factor of 3.  So lets say your hairloss from 20 to 30 may now occur over 20 to 50.  However, it varies from person to person and some people say they saw effectiveness drop after 5 years.

That is a good plan to wait 5-10 years.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Your loss doesnt look too bad and you can cover up your recession with some minimal styling. i would stick to finasteride and use nizoral a few times a week. It should be an easy and effective regimen. You can also add minoxidil down the line to see how you react as the combo of fin and min has shown to work better than just using each by itself. Minoxidil does add  some time to apply to your regimen as you have to use it twice a day. See how the fin and niz works for you for a year or two and then reevaluate.

Good call on putting off the transplant for now. At the absolute minimum Id wait til 25 but more ideally 30 or so. As more time goes by you can see how you hair loss progresses then you can have a better long term plan. Good luck