Can anyone else relate?

Shifty

About 4 years ago my hair started to go. It was pretty startling. I would run my hair through my head and I would have a handful of hair. I tried Rogaine with zero results. Started using anti DHT shampoo and add some extra vitamins to my regimen (namely Viviscal and biotin and DHT blockers) It definitely slowed down the process but didn't stop it unfortunately. I always wore my hair short and spikey so it was fairly easy to hide it in the beginning.

in 2016 I started using hair fibers so I grew my hair out a little longer.

In 2017 I panicked and went the system route. I paid a hefty amount of $$ for a particular Italian system that did not require you to shave your head. It cost as much as some transplants. It was pretty much an immediate fail. After a couple of months with it, I decided to shave the head and go that route with the system, another immediate fail, only worse. On the way home from the first attempt, I noticed discomfort on my head. Thought nothing of it because I was new to shaving my head and wearing a system, Well, I woke up the next day ran my hands threw my hair and immediately noticed I was in pain and my head was having a reaction too the glue, the whole system was wet.  I immediately went back to the salon to take it off but 1 whole day and the damage was done, it literally burned my scalp. I had to wear a system with a special tape that facilitated healing the burns for quite a bit. I only recently stopped feeling discomfort from the burn. It was so bad it literally burned my head bad enough that I have small spots that do not have hair where there was hair before.

This pretty much solidified the transplant procedure for me. I, much like many I have read about and watched on Youtube, have stopped going out unless I can wear a hat. I am a very social guy but this has been pretty debilitating. I think because it all happened so fast.  I am lucky enough to own my own small business so I can wear a hat to work every day.  While my decision started a couple of weeks ago to start the journey, the actual journey starts in July of next year. Praying something opens up before that , I would take a cancellation in a heart beat, and that my hair grows fast!!! lol I have a destination wedding I am attending next year and I very well may cancel last minute. =/ 

Here's what I am dealing with right now, i just shaved my head. Notice the small areas where there is no hair in the front, particularly right above the temples. Even the girl who put my system on noticed them. Been a rough year for my head, but reading all the posts have made me realize its not permanent. 

I am scheduled for 2500 grafts. God willing 1 session can be all I need although I know that's not realistic.  My hair grows fast so I am hoping that's a good indication of how the transplants grow. 

ddd.JPG

tttt.JPG

fff.JPG

donar side.jpg

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

• 2 weeks later...

@twf123 Dr Diep. I just started taking Fin 1mg little over a week ago so I'm keeping hopes up high. I don't want to but I may skip this wedding. Dieps appt is July of next year wedding is a month before. ?

One of the cruelest things about hair loss is that it can turn even the most sociable people into hermits. I've been there myself.  But 2500 grafts if used sensibly can make a big positive difference for you. And if you respond well to finasteride you could be in a much better situation a year or so from now. 

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

28 minutes ago, Pete-from-Farjo said:

One of the cruelest things about hair loss is that it can turn even the most sociable people into hermits. I've been there myself.  But 2500 grafts if used sensibly can make a big positive difference for you. And if you respond well to finasteride you could be in a much better situation a year or so from now. 

I agree it will definitely help. But do not expect amazing results for 2500 grafts with your current hair loss. The finasteride will take about 6 months or more to give you the full effects of it, if it does in fact help your thickness. 

Edited by twf123

Let' take it a step at a time.  You are young.  If you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing.  That's a fact. You have a great deal of native hair but it seems you have diffused thinning throughout.  You are thinning into an advanced pattern.  I would imagine your goal is to have as much hair as you can.  It is imperative that you save all you can.  Medical therapy should be your first consideration.  Propecia, Rogaine, laser and PRP are the only modalities approved/released by the FDA for retention and enhancement of the native hair.  Why not give these a chance and see what they do.  

Most believe it takes a full year to see what the meds are going to do.  So you could wait a year and then do a transplant procedure.  But that takes a whole other year to see the full result.  This is the reason why many patients, provided they are educated correctly, will do a combination of medical therapy and transplants.  Now, where to put the transplants?

When you are interacting with others, that do you see?  The front.  

Do some homework.  Look at the way people lose hair.  Particularly when they have an advanced pattern.  Notice how most keep hair in the front.and they thin the crown.  Mimic mother nature for the most natural result.  

Lastly, be judicious with your grafts.  The donor is finite.  2500 grafts is not a lot of grafts but can have a very positive impact if concentrated in an area.  Placing them diffusely throughout the entire pattern is not only a mistake, it is irresponsible.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

Let' take it a step at a time.  You are young.  If you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing.  That's a fact. You have a great deal of native hair but it seems you have diffused thinning throughout.  You are thinning into an advanced pattern.  I would imagine your goal is to have as much hair as you can.  It is imperative that you save all you can.  Medical therapy should be your first consideration.  Propecia, Rogaine, laser and PRP are the only modalities approved/released by the FDA for retention and enhancement of the native hair.  Why not give these a chance and see what they do.  

Most believe it takes a full year to see what the meds are going to do.  So you could wait a year and then do a transplant procedure.  But that takes a whole other year to see the full result.  This is the reason why many patients, provided they are educated correctly, will do a combination of medical therapy and transplants.  Now, where to put the transplants?

Do some homework.  Look at the way people lose hair.  Particularly when they have an advanced pattern.  Notice how most keep hair in the front.and they thin the crown.  Mimic mother nature for the most natural result.  

Lastly, be judicious with your grafts.  The donor is finite.  2500 grafts is not a lot of grafts but can have a very positive impact if concentrated in an area.  Placing them diffusely throughout the entire pattern is not only a mistake, it is irresponsible.

Yes. You really should be on some preventative method for at least 6 months to a year before deciding to get a transplant. See the effects that it has first. May be even good enough! You'll also see if it evens helps. If not, youll have to look into other options for prevention. Prevention is KEY even for heavily transplanted patients 

6 hours ago, LaserCap said:

agree with all of this except the part about laser and PRP whose benefits are dubious at best and are both ridiculously expensive

With regards to your comment, I tend to agree.  The problem in my view is the fact that the entire medical community, (hair related), has not come together to discuss what and what does not work.  I am aware of many out there doing PRP with little to no result.  Others, however, are yielding great results. 

When you consider how most practices approach hair restoration, (the belief that grafts compete for blood supply and that a separation in between grafts is required for survival), the question becomes how many procedures will be needed to allow for a full set of hair.  Without getting into patterns, patient expectation and all that is provided during a consultation, I think we can all agree that full density can not be accomplished in one procedure.  When you start doing the math,  purchasing a laser for $700-$1500, when appropriate, is a viable alternative.

On 10/8/2018 at 10:29 AM, Pete-from-Farjo said:

Today is 3 weeks taking fin, I have high hopes as I believe I already see some small hairs forming. And trust me I'm looking every second I have the opportunity too lol.  I have become fairly anti-social. I wont leave the house except with a hat on. I know its stupid to think anyone will care but it just cant bring myself to not care, and I have always been a social person.

At the moment I am using special shampoos and conditioner. Using the laser cap I Own. taking Finesteride, using topical Rogaine foam. I always take vitamins always have, including Biotin. And I should be getting a derma roller tomorrow in the mail. So hopefully the full on assault will turn things around.

On 10/8/2018 at 8:29 PM, garethbale said:

If the wedding is a month before your appointment with Diep why can’t you attend the wedding? 

No one knows I have lost hair. i wear a hat all the time. There will be plenty of pretty single woman at this wedding, Its just giving me anxiety. The stigma to hair loss is strong in me.

13 minutes ago, Shifty said:

Today is 3 weeks taking fin, I have high hopes as I believe I already see some small hairs forming. And trust me I'm looking every second I have the opportunity too lol.  I have become fairly anti-social. I wont leave the house except with a hat on. I know its stupid to think anyone will care but it just cant bring myself to not care, and I have always been a social person.

At the moment I am using special shampoos and conditioner. Using the laser cap I Own. taking Finesteride, using topical Rogaine foam. I always take vitamins always have, including Biotin. And I should be getting a derma roller tomorrow in the mail. So hopefully the full on assault will turn things around.

Sounds like you're doing all you can. Best of luck.

• Like 1

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

12 minutes ago, Shifty said:

Sounds like you have a plan, but it may be a bit overkill. All you really need is finasteride and Rogain. Anything after that won't be that much of a help, so don't kill yourself spending all this money thinking you will 'maximize' your prevention. 

3 minutes ago, twf123 said:

Sounds like you have a plan, but it may be a bit overkill. All you really need is finasteride and Rogain. Anything after that won't be that much of a help, so don't kill yourself spending all this money thinking you will 'maximize' your prevention. 

Not sure its so much a plan as throwing everything but the kitchen sink at it. Considering the amount the transplant is costing, buying some shampoos is a drop in the bucket. You are probably right but I'd rather try than not.