One man's journey to a full head of hair with Dr Konior

nick1111

History before My Hair Transplant Surgery-

I first noticed my hair loss at the age of 24,I began to notice thinning in my crown area along with receding hairline. As a result I started feeling self-conscious in public. I naturally have very fine hair which has always made it a challenge to cover up my receding thinner areas.

Next Steps And Why I Chose Dr Konior:-

At my 30’s, hair loss was at its worse. After trying numerous different shampoos and products available on the market with no improvement, I started researching the possibility of a hair transplant. After a long process of narrowing down few surgeons by reading through the websites, blogs and chatting with few senior members in this forum (which truely helped me a lot), I couldn’t stop noticing that Dr.Konior had one of the best reputation in the lot with great results. 

Finally I decided to pull the trigger and scheduled a meeting in person with Dr Konior last year.After examining my hair, he suggested that since I have a weak donor area (specially on both the sides), my case needs to be handelled strategically. The best way to proceed would be to go through a combination of FUE and FUT to get desired number Of grafts.I felt very confident after meeting him and decided to book my surgery with him. It felt like a perfect choice and worth waiting an year (because of his busy schedule).Dr konior and his office staff has always been available from the very begining until the day of my surgery.

Experience on the Surgery Day:-

On the day of my surgery, the staff and doctor were very gentle and cordial to all my needs and my questions.

Doctor took an hour to  analyse my hair, scalp, designing my hairline and strategy to proceed with combination of both FUT and FUE. We decided to focus on a decent frontal look for now  and leave the crown area for future. He also examined my beard and chest hair for future use and luckily it has potential of another 3000 grafts in case a need arise in future to use them.

After a 12 hour surgery(which went very smooth), I was thrilled to see my new hair line. I must say Dr konior is very knowledgeable and hard working. He was present throughout my entire surgery and managed to get around 2500 grafts of my week donor area.

It has been 3 days post my surgery and I have been going daily to the clinic for check up and cleaning.

I felt that comfort and personnel attention from the staff during all my visits.

I am waiting for my hair to grow now!! Very excited!!

Below are some of my pre and post op pictures. 

Top_PreOp.jpg

Front_PreOP.jpg

Front_PostOp.jpg

Back_PostOp.jpg

Top_PostOp.jpg

• Administrators

Your donor looks very sparse, maybe it’s just the picture though, what did Dr.Konoir say about your donor?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi Melvin,

I agree that donor is very week as told by doctor as well after seeing this picture. This picture was taken just after an aggressive hair cut.  But after direct examination by doctor, he mentioned that a central patch  in the back of my head is comparatively better and a short strip can be taken from there followed by more hair via FUE from different places to reach the desired number of grafts and to ensure that the scar is not visible. Attaching another picture  before hair cut.

Back_PreOp.jpg

Hey man, congrats on your produce, mine will be on Oct with Dr.konior :)

My donor is also pretty weak and his the only doctor I felt confidence to go with, your work look so clean, I'm sure you will be happy with your results.

Do you know how thick and wide he did your scar? It seems like this scar is going to be invisible, it also seems it doesn't even get close to your ear so I assume it's less than 20 cm length?

And one last question, did he notice retrograde alopecia in your hair? It seems like your losing some hair in your nape area or it's just the picture? 

Thanks Aaron and best of luck for yours. How many grafts are you planning in your case?

Yes the work was so clean that even the doctor seemed happy about it. I am satisfied so far and hoping to get good results.

Scar is pretty sleek and I am happy to see that it came out the way it is. Dr. K did a great job.
Also, the scar length is pretty small as the doc wanted to cover just the high quality area with good density due to my weak sides.I am hopeful that it is going to be almost invisible in few weeks.

I am not so sure about retrogade alopecia but yes I have weak sides since childhood. I guess the nape area is looking very thin in only that pic due to the fact that the hair stylist kept my nape cut too low. Generally it is not that low and seems fine to me usually.

Just reached today back from Chicago after 8 days. I will post some fresh picture soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are couple of pictures of the recipient and donor area on day 16. 

Most of the scabs and crust on the front have fallen off at this point. Got rid of the sutures at day 13. My local doctor who took the sutures out was very impressed with the fine incision  and sutures. He even mentioned that these are one of the best that he has ever taken out. (Still have little numbness near the incision. )

I was still in dilemma  to use Finasteride due to the side effects. So planning to use the topical Finasteride as I read in some threads that it has less side effects comparatively. (Please share your feedback if someone has used topical Finasteride before and how was the experience with the same in terms of the hair growth/retention and side effects)

Front_day16.jpg

Donor_day16.jpg

On 9/27/2018 at 9:14 AM, nick1111 said:

Thanks Aaron and best of luck for yours. How many grafts are you planning in your case?

Yes the work was so clean that even the doctor seemed happy about it. I am satisfied so far and hoping to get good results.

Scar is pretty sleek and I am happy to see that it came out the way it is. Dr. K did a great job.
Also, the scar length is pretty small as the doc wanted to cover just the high quality area with good density due to my weak sides.I am hopeful that it is going to be almost invisible in few weeks.

I am not so sure about retrogade alopecia but yes I have weak sides since childhood. I guess the nape area is looking very thin in only that pic due to the fact that the hair stylist kept my nape cut too low. Generally it is not that low and seems fine to me usually.

Just reached today back from Chicago after 8 days. I will post some fresh picture soon.   

Hey man! so sorry on late respond for some reason I haven't received a notification,  I'm planning to have between 1,500-2,000 grafts at the very front.

I just saw your last post 16 days post op, man, that's amazing, such a thin scar I'm sure it's going to be pretty much invisible.

Any reason why you stayed in Chicago for 8 days? This was doctor konior recommendation? And one last thing, how long does it takes to take off the sutures? The reason I ask is because I'm planning to stay for 2 weeks and rather have it done by Doctor konior it self but not sure if it's acceptable or not to ask haha

Thanks. I hope so.

I just wanted to be in town for few more days just in case something goes wrong and to get good post op care which was fantastic.

I had been going daily after the surgery for cleaning and stuff. My staples were out next day and sutures were taken out on 13th day by local doctor (usually taken out between 10-14 days). If you are in town for 2 weeks, somebody in doctors clinic will take them out for you.

• 2 months later...

Added 3 pictures around 3.5 months. Starting to notice some new hair in the front. Hoping to get more density in the frontal region.

Observed some shock loss at the rear (below the FUT scar) 1 month post op  and got really worried. Spoke to doctor about it and he advised to wait until 3-4 months for shock loss to subside. It is far better now with some hair popping out lately below the scar. Will share the pictures of the scar at 4 months mark. 

Fingers crossed for months ahead. Let me know your comments about where I stand at this milestone based on your experience.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

You've made it through the dreaded early months now, and it should be all positive from here. Looks like some promising early signs there. Grow well.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

Looks really good so far Nick. 

Such clean work on both the scalp and donor site. 

Looks like it is going to be a really good result too if this is the growth already at month 3. 

I was thinking of Dr Umar or Dr Bhatti but have heard so many good things about Dr Konior, I may have to reconsider. 

Best of luck mate

MM

Thanks MM for the kind words. Yes Dr K is really good.  The best part is the post operative support and quick responses. It feels like he is always available and usually I get the replies  within minutes. I will recommend him to anyone.

Hi Nick, great choice to go with Dr Konior, from your pics you can already tell this is going to be a good result, the scar looks amazing as well. Best of luck with the growing...

In terms of the FUT/FUE mix that you had how does this work? Does he extract the strip via FUT first and then implant those and go back after to do the FUE? Really interested to know how the FUT/FUE mix works because you don't see these cases very often... thank you for sharing your experience bro.

Hi Kiwi Guy,

Thanks.  As far as I remember, after extracting the FUT strip, technicians were dissecting the strip  and meanwhile  Dr K started extracting the grafts via FUE.  When all the extraction was done then doctor started implanted all the grafts. As per what I remember, Dr was also cognizant of the time as generally grafts have limited time after the extraction (but there are certain ways to retain the grafts as far as possible  without effecting the quality.). I personally didn't felt anything during surgery since was on Valium etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick1111 said:

Hi Kiwi Guy,

Thanks.  As far as I remember, after extracting the FUT strip, technicians were dissecting the strip  and meanwhile  Dr K started extracting the grafts via FUE.  When all the extraction was done then doctor started implanted all the grafts. As per what I remember, Dr was also cognizant of the time as generally grafts have limited time after the extraction (but there are certain ways to retain the grafts as far as possible  without effecting the quality.). I personally didn't felt anything during surgery since was on Valium etc.

Oh ok that's how it works... yeah I was going to ask you about the time the grafts were out of the scalp as well so thank you for answering that. Are his prices $8 per FUE graft and $5 per FUT graft like most of the other clinics or did he charge you one rate for the two different extraction types?