1500 FUE Grafts Dr. Nader

Rdasilva604

Hi there,

Brand new to the site so bare with me. I’ve been lurking this site for a few years now but never had a reason to post. I finally went through with my hair transplant so I thought I’d document and share. 

Info about me:

31 from Vancouver

Hairline/Temple recession started at 18

Been on Finasteride since i was 21

Hair type is curly/extremely wavy/dense

Ethnicity: Italian/Portuguese/Caucasian

So after much deliberation I decided to book my procedure with Dr. Nader, I’ve tried to find finished timeline pictures of previous patients, however; as another user recently eluded to, this proved to be difficult since most fall off after their procedure. I’m currently sitting at 7 months post-op, I had my procedure done on February 15th, 2018. The trip was like what most people on here have posted, so I won’t bore you with the same details. I take biotin and finasteride daily, and am considering adding minoxidil to the mix. I have however heard that if you stop minoxidil, your hair can suffer quite dramatically, can anyone else attest to this? I’ll do my best to post pics every month from here on out, but there are some gaps with the photos I’m uploading. I’m really hoping to get more density and have it fill in, but I try to be patient and not examine is so often (you just drive yourself crazy). Please do not hi-jack this thread with banter, I don’t need user wars on the page so please stick to the topic and be respectful. Constructive criticism is welcome.  

Ps. I do have a scar in the back of my head from when I was a child, please ignore. 

3 Day Post Op 

D7F70234-F0AF-471A-AF9C-4AB77A1C590D.jpeg

081C0ED1-6473-4D20-B360-5B727CF0691B.jpeg

CA836380-552A-40A9-9F83-FF536649AF92.jpeg

2141151F-98A4-4126-AF21-1E79FFEA0F3F.jpeg

One Week Post Op 

0ABA5EDB-B66D-4789-BB0F-EED91DE49175.jpeg

694498A3-7546-4549-8D5D-D284D5EFE870.jpeg

One Month 

6BC52B1D-A429-4F64-828C-3AECA9DAB8E7.jpeg

0B5EE3B4-10C0-4DD8-863D-795705F6CF6D.jpeg

0CF81A32-DDF7-4EE9-8EF3-929C1ADCB6C4.jpeg

5A1D9EBC-2F16-4F51-8093-6683C96EC036.jpeg

4.5 Months 

2094EFF0-3EC0-4A25-86AE-E5ED3D453FBF.jpeg

80322BA0-606A-41D0-8E57-08688A517AFE.jpeg

AA43B0B9-84A6-4F1D-977A-732355120279.jpeg

7 Months ( September 17th 2018)

3B896D7A-691A-4019-A0C2-1AF8E38C6E0C.jpeg

59422723-5C76-4A5E-A1A1-C6F16AB10633.jpeg

75A5E1BE-7653-4D12-BD01-3D0DD62308B9.jpeg

Edited by Rdasilva604
  • Like 1

• Valued Contributor

Congratulations! I’m a big fan of Dr. Nader’s work. I’m considering getting some work done with him. The post-op looks good. Could you post some pics of your hair how you style it, though? How you wear it naturally? 

2 hours ago, Steeeve said:

Congratulations! I’m a big fan of Dr. Nader’s work. I’m considering getting some work done with him. The post-op looks good. Could you post some pics of your hair how you style it, though? How you wear it naturally? 

This is before the procedure and how I normally style it. 

846EDBA6-5CC1-4663-AC03-A8757271AAAD.jpeg

• Valued Contributor
12 hours ago, Rdasilva604 said:

This is before the procedure and how I normally style it. 

846EDBA6-5CC1-4663-AC03-A8757271AAAD.jpeg

I meant would it be possible to see how you style it from day to day now after you’ve had the procedure? Apologies for the misunderstanding. You’re hair looks much longer now. Is that how you’re styling it now? It does look a little thin but it could take 18 months to mature. You’ve definitely had some improvement though. If anything you might just need a little touch up.

9 hours ago, Steeeve said:

I meant would it be possible to see how you style it from day to day now after you’ve had the procedure? Apologies for the misunderstanding. You’re hair looks much longer now. Is that how you’re styling it now? It does look a little thin but it could take 18 months to mature. You’ve definitely had some improvement though. If anything you might just need a little touch up.

Hi Steve,

No problem on the misunderstanding, I just wanted to show how I usually style my hair. I haven’t been styling it this way post op, simply due to the fact I don’t want to stress the hair, ie blow dryers, excessive product, towel rubbing, etc. I got a haircut today and took some much better photos so you can see how I currently style it. 

1039222704_photo2018-09-1922903pm.thumb.jpg.5a6464f035581121aa568baeaad80d0b.jpg

953820812_photo2018-09-1922755pm.thumb.jpg.1a9ad331724ab1781edbeb3cf1dbc781.jpg

photo 2018-09-19, 2 27 26 pm.jpg

8 hours ago, memzinla said:

Nice! We are 2 months apart. The person that cuts my hair told me that my hair felt thicker around month 8, but I think it's the same. Let's see how it goes next month. :)

Keep on fighting the good fight, lol. I’m sure it will improve. Have you or anyone else had any success with minoxidil? I’ve heard it works well but your hair falls out if you stop taking it at all. Derma needle roller & minoxidil results? Anyone? 

• Valued Contributor

It looks great with your haircut. I think you’ll be happy as the hairs mature and thicken up. I can’t speak for derma rolling. I just take fin and biotin once a day and use minoxidil when I go to bed at night. I’ve had really positive results with that. Looking forward to those updates!??

Good luck and Happy Growing!

2 hours ago, Steeeve said:

It looks great with your haircut. I think you’ll be happy as the hairs mature and thicken up. I can’t speak for derma rolling. I just take fin and biotin once a day and use minoxidil when I go to bed at night. I’ve had really positive results with that. Looking forward to those updates!??

Good luck and Happy Growing!

Yeah it’s hard to tell how it will look when the current hairs thicken, I do think that there’s not enough density though, as most peoples results have been with Nader. Either I go back for a second one, or I go to Hasson & Wong since I live in Vancouver and used to live down the street from there. I know it’s not cheap, but if i only need 5-600 grafts I would consider it. For my type of transplant, I really only wanted to be 1 and done. I guess being able to dense pack is what separates the great surgeons from the good ones. I also think 1450 grafts wasn’t enough to being with. 

Edited by Rdasilva604

• 2 weeks later...

Don't really see a downside to Monox. Why not try it?  So I do have a question. I have looked at some of this doctors transplants and it is a real mix. Some amazing results, some mediocre. None what I would call bad though.  Honestly, most of the mediocre ones when you really scrutinize it, the issue is not enough grafts were placed for the area that needed coverage. Probably because the patient was on a budget and the doctor did the best he could with the budget.  Those are the kind of cases here where the grafts survival looks good...but just not enough hairs were transplanted. Then there are the top notch cases.  I have however seen a few now like your results lately. Granted, it's early. But you don't look like you have thickened much since months 4.5. Is that accurate?  I looked closely at your pics. To me it looks like nearly all the transplanted hairs grew, but are rather thin.  So I have a few questions.

1) Do you remember what percentage of your grafts were 1,2 or 3 hair?

2) Do you feel the grafts mostly all grew? To me they look like they nearly all grew, just grew thin hairs. So is it one, the other or both that you think are making it look thin? 

3) Are your hairs fine or thick naturally? 

Basically your case is one I can't figure out. The implanted density looks like it was pretty solid. Not over the top dense like H&W sometimes do. But still where patients are getting close to what I wold say the point where it looks pretty solid in most lighting and a little length. Your transplanted areas around the temples still looks fairly thin in spite of what appears to be enough grafts to get you a more solid looking hairline.  On the bright side, you have great hair behind the new hairline and honestly, even if it doesn't thicken any more, because the temples are naturally thinner. It looks natural and I am sure it will thicken a bit more at least. In your case it blends naturally with the thick top you already have. It completely fixed the high hairline you have. Now your eye starts at the new hairline even though it is thin there you don't notice. It builds up naturally to the ticker part. And the new hair is thick enough to bring it all into balance and even if it grew 10x as thick, to the rest of the world it would not even make a noticeable difference.  To me, honestly your results make you look good and accomplish the goal from this strangers standpoint. But also, for the density you had grafted...looks about 30% less dense than I would have expected. Makes perfect sense if you mostly had 1 hair grafts to work with or your hair is super fine. If not though....what is the issue? Just slow growing? Transplanted hair growing in very thin or did 30% of the graft just not survive?  Or maybe my eyes aren't catching it and 1500 grafts just are not enough for the area. 

• Thanks 1

u have natural density of native hair .. u don’t look anywhere as someone that’s balding .. it’s difficult to match ur density.. the way u comb ur hair , n how thick it already is .. I say u should take a break from having another surgery .. n see how ur hairloss progresses in the future .. right now , u look good enough the way u are .. but yeah I agree with what u saying about the density issues n saving enough money for a one n done procedure instead of having two to get the same density .. best wishes to ya .. but don’t feel too bad .. ur natural hair looks great . Lots of volume n thick coarse hair ..  this transplant wasn’t a Homerun , but u didn’t need it to be . ..  time to focus on other aspects of life that will make u happy .. 

On 10/1/2018 at 9:30 PM, back2clas said:

Don't really see a downside to Monox. Why not try it?  So I do have a question. I have looked at some of this doctors transplants and it is a real mix. Some amazing results, some mediocre. None what I would call bad though.  Honestly, most of the mediocre ones when you really scrutinize it, the issue is not enough grafts were placed for the area that needed coverage. Probably because the patient was on a budget and the doctor did the best he could with the budget.  Those are the kind of cases here where the grafts survival looks good...but just not enough hairs were transplanted. Then there are the top notch cases.  I have however seen a few now like your results lately. Granted, it's early. But you don't look like you have thickened much since months 4.5. Is that accurate?  I looked closely at your pics. To me it looks like nearly all the transplanted hairs grew, but are rather thin.  So I have a few questions.

1) Do you remember what percentage of your grafts were 1,2 or 3 hair?

2) Do you feel the grafts mostly all grew? To me they look like they nearly all grew, just grew thin hairs. So is it one, the other or both that you think are making it look thin? 

3) Are your hairs fine or thick naturally? 

Basically your case is one I can't figure out. The implanted density looks like it was pretty solid. Not over the top dense like H&W sometimes do. But still where patients are getting close to what I wold say the point where it looks pretty solid in most lighting and a little length. Your transplanted areas around the temples still looks fairly thin in spite of what appears to be enough grafts to get you a more solid looking hairline.  On the bright side, you have great hair behind the new hairline and honestly, even if it doesn't thicken any more, because the temples are naturally thinner. It looks natural and I am sure it will thicken a bit more at least. In your case it blends naturally with the thick top you already have. It completely fixed the high hairline you have. Now your eye starts at the new hairline even though it is thin there you don't notice. It builds up naturally to the ticker part. And the new hair is thick enough to bring it all into balance and even if it grew 10x as thick, to the rest of the world it would not even make a noticeable difference.  To me, honestly your results make you look good and accomplish the goal from this strangers standpoint. But also, for the density you had grafted...looks about 30% less dense than I would have expected. Makes perfect sense if you mostly had 1 hair grafts to work with or your hair is super fine. If not though....what is the issue? Just slow growing? Transplanted hair growing in very thin or did 30% of the graft just not survive?  Or maybe my eyes aren't catching it and 1500 grafts just are not enough for the area. 

No, I don’t feel as if all the grafts grew, if they did, I would have a lot thicker hair in the transplanted areas. I had a good mix of 2’s, 3’s, and single grafts, with most of the singles being at the very front of the hairline which is pretty standard procedure. I understand and thanks for the compliments in regards to my naturally dense and thick hair, however; when you get a transplant you want it to match the rest of your head. No point in getting it done only to have thin areas that look like you’re losing your hair, and not actually have gained hair. I’ll take a break but I’ll probably end up getting a second procedure somewhere else for density. Nader said that I’m not done growing and that I should expect further growth, but I”m not holding my breath. I’m content for now but we’ll see what happens in the future. At least now I’ve gone through the process and know exactly what to expect. 

Thanks for the feedback guys. 

On 10/2/2018 at 2:55 AM, Mick50 said:

At 7.5 months lots of thickening still to come , as Legend said take a break form surgery and just get on with your life, most guys on here would love to have your hair as it  is currently 

Ya I hope there is new growth and a lot of thickening to come, it would definitely help. Thanks for the compliment! 

I was like u dasilva a year and a half ago . Started noticing some recession n hair thinning .. but had so much hair I wanted a a transplant for cosmetic purposes only ..since I didn’t look like I was balding at all ..  but as u grow a little older n learn more about hairloss .. u learn that hairtransplants aren’t really made for cosmetic reasons .. it’s to grow hair n make someone with medium to aggresive hair balding look normal .,  someone  like u with dense thick hair, a hairtransplant to cover up some minor recession wont make that much of a cosmetic difference ..