Sun after 6 months post op?

For the first 6 months of my post op phase I was extremely strict about covering my hair at all costs when I was outside. Even if it was a quick 10/15 minute walk somewhere.

Now that I'm past the 6 month phase my Dr. (who is highly regarded on this board) has said it's ok for me to let my hair get some sunshine. Though I have heard others say it's 12 months minimum before you should be exposing your hair.

Thoughts? I'm not talking 4 hours on the beach or fishing, talking 30 minutes or less walking around. Basically what I would do pre surgery. And usually just out of habit I'll duck in and otnof shade where it's available too.

Edited by kimura50

It also helps to pay attention to UV rating of the sun...the higher it is, the more protection we need and I'm speaking in general terms including the risk of sunburn.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Other than just your hair we need to be aware of skin cancer.  After all these years in the sun I now avoid it, and not just because of hair.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

I think you're fine at this point as well - especially assuming you have hair at this point covering a good portion of your scalp. Each doctor has their own guidelines, but 6 months is what we tell our patients as well. 

Still be mindful of the sun as you normally would, but in terms of your HT, I think it's fine to let your guard down a little bit. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Protecting your scalp from sun damage at all times is advisable, you probably wouldn't impact the grafts at this late stage, but a sunburned scalp, in general, is not good for you.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016