Advice on FUE procedure

Hi all,

I plan to get an FUE procedure in December of this year, and I'm trying to do my research on possible surgeons. I'll travel anywhere in the United States but am based in upstate NY. I've gotten in touch with the clinics of Dr. Diep, Konior, and Hasson & Wong.

Here's my history. I previously had an HUT procedure back in 2013 from an in-network surgeon in Asia. At the time I was Type IVA, with frontal forelock. From what I recall I received around 2000 grafts and had decent results. Since then I have lost more hair. I use artificial hair fibers (Caboki) to compensate for my thinned out hair.

I'm convinced myself to get another transplant this year, but have a few concerns. First, I'm a migrainer and felt that the frequency and intensity of my headaches worsened after my first transplant. Is there any research on the relationship between hair transplants and headaches? Anyway, I'm looking to avoid similar issues this time around. Second, although I'm leaning towards FUE, I'm not sure that it is the way to go. My previous scar is not that bad, and I do not want to shave my head. 

So, in short, any advice welcome on recommended surgeons to look up, headaches, fut vs fue...

Thanks for your help.

-A 

16 minutes ago, literalno said:

why would you say strip is easier? thought it's usually the other way around no?

I just found the strip process easier, and it didn't take near as long.  O f course you have to go back to get the stitches out, but after having both I prefer the strip, and you don't have to bother with the horrible haircut for months.  I was awake throughout the strip, but I slept through much of the FUE.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Given that you’ve already had a strip, I would stick with strip unless you have laxity issues, your strip donor is tapped out, or you are just looking for a minor touch up. The major disadvantage of strip is the linear scar, and you already have one. You’ve paid that price. The scar could get worse with another procedure, but that is unlikely. You already have an idea how you heal, and the surgeons you are considering are excellent. 

The total amount of scarring on your head will not increase significantly with a second FUT performed by an excellent strip surgeon. A FUE procedure, however,  will certainly introduce a significant amount of new scarring on your head. Done well, it’s not very perceptible to the eye, but it’s there all the same, mostly under the skin. 

Have consultations with the surgeons you mentioned above. In person if possible. They all perform both FUE and FUT at a high level. Ask them what’s best in your situation.