Pre-HT product use/regimen to improve results

Ive seen a few post-op threads, no pre-op threads. I have my HT scheduled for next July with the hopes someone cancels before that and I can jump in their spot.

I take vitamins daily, always have, including biotin every day. I tried Rogaine a few years ago with no results, still have a few foam bottles left. I am contemplating the use of Finesteride just not happy with possible side effects.

Anything else that might help improve the results afterwards?

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

Give fin a try. Most don’t experience side effects. If you do, you can stop. HTs can cause shock loss of surrounding hairs. Fin can help protect against shock loss but you need to take it for a few months in advance. Eat a healthy diet. Don’t smoke. Other than that, there is not much you can do ahead of time. 

Ive peaked as far as hair loss, its not genetic in my family so lucky me. It happened fairly quickly and I am no longer losing hair. Its one of the reasons I am getting the HT.

Will Fin help regrow hairs that are still there?

7 hours ago, Shifty said:

Ive peaked as far as hair loss, its not genetic in my family so lucky me. It happened fairly quickly and I am no longer losing hair. Its one of the reasons I am getting the HT.

Will Fin help regrow hairs that are still there?

How do you know it's not genetic? have you been evaluated by a medical professional?

If it's not genetic hair loss then an HT shouldn't be necessary because external factors have cause temporal hair loss.

Almost all permanent hair loss is from your genetic predisposition to DHT that will shrink hair follicles on the top of the scalp.

Fin helps reduce excess DHT in the body which means less is in the blood stream to potentially shrink your hair follicles, this, in turn, slows down or halts hair loss caused by DHT.

Used early it can reverse some hair miniaturization, but it is case by case.

Edited by Speegs

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

@Speegs I know because other than some receding hair lines, no one has it as bad as me. Little tid bit about me, it happened so fast I don’t think anyone knows. I wear a hat all the time and have even tried systems, the systems is another story because they effed me up pretty bad I think. 

6 hours ago, Shifty said:

@Speegs I know because other than some receding hair lines, no one has it as bad as me. Little tid bit about me, it happened so fast I don’t think anyone knows. I wear a hat all the time and have even tried systems, the systems is another story because they effed me up pretty bad I think. 

That sounds genetic and you should get a medical opinion.

It's in your best interests before pursuing surgery.

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Shifty said:

Just because you don’t see hair loss in your immediate family doesn’t mean you didn’t inherit the gene. I am a perfect example, here I am with my 61 year old father and 41 year old brother, neither have ever been on any hair loss medication of any kind ever let alone had three hair transplants like me. But, I still have genetic hair loss which I inherited through my great uncle. Further research is needed on your part.

055D4724-15D9-4DF3-AA9D-4C6A33CA37F6.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Shifty said:

I started Finesteride today. 1 mg.  Here's to not getting side effects and growing hair back!!! 

Most side effects are all in your head, especially if you're under 40.

15 minutes ago, Speegs said:

Most side effects are all in your head, especially if you're under 40.

I'm not under 40. Lol although sans my head you would never know. I wish I did this as soon as this started. Ya live and ya learn I guess. 

15 minutes ago, Shifty said:

I'm not under 40. Lol although sans my head you would never know. I wish I did this as soon as this started. Ya live and ya learn I guess. 

What I mean is that most men that report sexual dysfunction while on finasteride are in an age group where the possibility of erectile dysfunction is possible in the general population and they falsely assign blame to finasteride.

Under 40 people aren't susceptible to ED so much, and when it does occur in that age group it is usually psychological in origin.

6 minutes ago, Speegs said:

What I mean is that most men that report sexual dysfunction while on finasteride are in an age group where the possibility of erectile dysfunction is possible in the general population and they falsely assign blame to finasteride.

Under 40 people aren't susceptible to ED so much, and when it does occur in that age group it is usually psychological in origin.

Im more worried about cancer lol there are other things for ed but i doubt that will happen to me. 

39 minutes ago, Speegs said:

4 minutes ago, Shifty said:

Im more worried about cancer lol there are other things for ed but i doubt that will happen to me. 

Finasteride actually started out as a male prostate drug, used to shrink enlarged prostates and possibly prevent prostate cancer,  a happy by-product discovered was that the lowering of DHT in the bod helped prevent hair loss in a number of patients.

So if anything your prostate may be benefiting as well as your hair.

Edited by Speegs

7 minutes ago, Speegs said:

Finasteride actually started out as a male prostate drug, used to shrink enlarged prostates and possibly prevent prostate cancer,  a happy by-product discovered was that the lowering of DHT in the bod helped prevent hair loss in a number of patients.

So if anything your prostate may be benefiting as well as your hair.

I wonder if these side effects, like cancer,  manifest with people who are prone and have history. Not much of that in my family.

Here's to a healthy prostate and a fuller head of hair!! ?

For ED side effects generic Sildenafil citrate is available online.  AllDayChemist has everything.  At one time I had 500 of the 100mg tablets - don't ask.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

I hope you was consult with hair transplant surgeon.And he/she was conducted your proper diagnosis according to your problem. After diagnosis he/she referred you for the transplant.And if you not want to do Hair transplant then consult with your doctor for other method but not use anything according to you because all medicine have some side effect.so all the best.

• Administrators
On 9/26/2018 at 5:31 PM, Shifty said:

I wonder if these side effects, like cancer,  manifest with people who are prone and have history. Not much of that in my family.

Here's to a healthy prostate and a fuller head of hair!! ?

If you don’t have a family history of prostate cancer you should be okay, but obviously you never know for certain. As far as I know, finasteride makes it difficult to detect early onset prostate cancer which is aggressive, it does not cause cancer. However, if you don’t have a family history of cancer you should be okay.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.