How many grafts do you think I need?

I think, based on the loss of density, your pattern will spread.  You seem to have decent amount of donor hair with a certain texture that may help create natural hairlines if done properly.

In it’s current state, you may be looking at a number of around at least 3000 grafts for front to back, but it can be quite risky at the moment as you have some native hairs that are weaker in the thinning areas.  Even if you get a procedure, you will risk shockloss that may or may not return in these zones.  That means that your current native hairs can also die in the process and you may not look like you had any progress a year later or possibly worse.  

are you on any meds? Rogaine and finasteride?  If not, they may help regain some hairs and thicken existing hairs to help you avoid possible further recession.  

Due to the higher risk involved, it may be worthwhile to wait and see if you shed more hair,  the less native hair in the zone where thinning is evident, the better it may be for a higher yielding procedure.  It is really a tough decision to make.

Aside from graft counts, you want to see if any doctor can do a density test in your donor.  The number of 1’s, 2’s, 3’s 4’s etc hair grafts will play a big part in the outcome of density achieved. By looking at your side view pics and top scalp pics, the pattern looks somewhat diffuse.  Based on the caliber and strength of your donor hair, you may or may not be a candidate for FUE, but rather FUT or vice versa. 

Best of luck with everything and I really hope your ultimate goals are addressed.  I’d get a few free consults from docs to see what each doc says.   Wish you the best.

• Like 3

@jonfromozz @Sean

Thanks for your responses! 

@Sean Ive heard from others that my pattern probably wont spread for 2 reasons

1) im already so thin in such a large area and the area next to it is very thick, if it was to spread, wouldn't we already see thinning in those areas?

2) my dad has the same pattern, but is 70 and still has a few hairs.

I am on rogaine and I thank you for your well thought out response :)

On 9/16/2018 at 8:29 PM, hairlossPA said:

how old are you? I have a similar diffused pattern and I got on finasteride and have seen good results.

probably looking at 3000 to fix the front half. you may want to split it up in 2 procedures unless you go FUT and can get a lot of grafts

im 22, im just starting minoxidil.

Ill look into finasteride. but if I follow my fathers same pattern, ill just loose the current thinning area and have a large donor area. 2-3 sessions and ill have a full head of hair for the rest of my life. thats why im wondering peoples opinions about the future of my hairloss. @hairlossPA do you think it will expand or stay confined to that area? (I know its not a guarantee but was just wondering what your personal thoughts are) 

10 minutes ago, Wicky said:

im 22, im just starting minoxidil.

Ill look into finasteride. but if I follow my fathers same pattern, ill just loose the current thinning area and have a large donor area. 2-3 sessions and ill have a full head of hair for the rest of my life. thats why im wondering peoples opinions about the future of my hairloss. @hairlossPA do you think it will expand or stay confined to that area? (I know its not a guarantee but was just wondering what your personal thoughts are) 

from my own experience and research on here, when there is diffused thinning over the entire scalp of someone young, it usually stays the same pattern

• Administrators

At 22 it’s likely the area will expand. It’s likely to expand to the same area on the opposite side of the scalp. 

Hair loss progresses extremely quick especially in your early 20’s. This pic illustrates a 5 year difference from 24 to 29. 

It would be foolish to believe your hair loss will remain the same at the age of 22. 

C31F20BC-CA7F-43DF-8709-0DC2CF1AA398.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

At 22 it’s likely the area will expand. It’s likely to expand to the same area on the opposite side of the scalp. 

Hair loss progresses extremely quick especially in your early 20’s. This pic illustrates a 5 year difference from 24 to 29. 

It would be foolish to believe your hair loss will remain the same at the age of 22. 

this man never got on fin

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, literalno said:

this man never got on fin

That’s not true, I took finasteride at 21, I was one of the unfortunate ones to get severe side effects. They went away after I stopped taking the medication, but finasteride doesn’t change your genetics remember that, it buys you time, but will not change your genes.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

8 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Thanks for the feed back☺️ Im mostly worried about “extreme” baldness (just having a horseshoe left). I know the pattern will probably be symmetrical, but do you think it will progress far beyond its area or is it mostly contained?

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, Wicky said:

Thanks for the feed back☺️ Im mostly worried about “extreme” baldness (just having a horseshoe left). I know the pattern will probably be symmetrical, but do you think it will progress far beyond its area or is it mostly contained?

I’m pretty sure it will progress, you’re only 22. I had way more hair at 24. At your age it’s impossible to know your final pattern. This is why it’s recommended to wait a few years for an HT

View my thread

That’s pretty aggressive balding .. look at ur family history .. u headed towards that sooner than others .. u should plan accordingly ..

im was a  Norwood 1 at 37 now I’m 39 at 2.5 Norwood with no family history of baldness n now I’m worried as hell of future balding .. Just to give u perspective .. 

You should spend a year on Fin and 2-3 years visiting some highly respected surgeons.  Fin could surprise you and give a boost in density to the point where you can delay having surgery.  Maybe try shaving your head too.

You should assume you will be a slick NW6 and plan accordingly.  Strip or FUE I don't know and it is the doctors that should evaluate this.  Start with the guys who do both and no bias for one or the other.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

On 9/18/2018 at 5:50 PM, 1978matt said:

You should assume you will be a slick NW6 and plan accordingly.  Strip or FUE I don't know and it is the doctors that should evaluate this.  Start with the guys who do both and no bias for one or the other.

I disagree. I think he will finish as a NW5 with high sides and crown. With the right surgeon, he should get a good result. 

OP - do not rush on to meds. Ask a surgeon what they think ASAP though. In person consultations.

wow thank you all for the replies! 

just to keep you informed im having a consultation with Dr.Rahals team soon. Also with ASMED. But im 99% sure im going with rahal for a few reasons

1)good results, consistently 

2)Location, i'm from Detroit so Toronto is only a 4 hour drive AKA no airports :)

3)USD to CND, Save MAJOR doe because of this.

I appreciate each and every one of you for taking time out of your day to post on this thread.

Another question I have regarding the crown area,  do you see it expanding far down the back of my head? I know fixing crowns is a 'Blackhole' for grafts. Just wondering all of your opinions :) thanks!

Please do not have a HT at 22 while your balding may rapidly progress.  Finasteride is probably the only way to stabilize your hair loss right now.  Consider getting on Finasteride now and see if it stabilizes your hair loss over the next two years. If so, then you can think about a HT. If you want cosmetic improvement  right now you might consider SMP to provide illusion of density in diffuse areas. It lasts a couple of years.  Maybe do Finasteride and SMP now and reevaluate in 2 years. That will leave your options open.

4 hours ago, Spaceman said:

Please do not have a HT at 22 while your balding may rapidly progress.  Finasteride is probably the only way to stabilize your hair loss right now.  Consider getting on Finasteride now and see if it stabilizes your hair loss over the next two years. If so, then you can think about a HT. If you want cosmetic improvement  right now you might consider SMP to provide illusion of density in diffuse areas. It lasts a couple of years.  Maybe do Finasteride and SMP now and reevaluate in 2 years. That will leave your options open.

I agree. While your balding seems to be harsh, you are better off waiting a few years to see how much the loss has progressed more so, but in the mean time, you could go to a dermatologist or even an inexpensive online finasteride subscription service get on finasteride to see how well it may help, same goes for minoxidil, and, shave your head to a #1 since hair loss is much more noticeable with long hair, and wear a baseball hat as often as you can, you are young so not out of the ordinary to wear one regularly, you could go the scalp micropigmentation route too or save that cost towards your HT.

Good Luck!

Hey man. Hold off on the hair transplant for now. Give meds a shot and see where you're at in 12 months.

You dont know if you will end up like you dad. You have an agressive hair loss pattern. Not a good sign at your age.

If you were 30's, 40's it would be a diff story, donor looks good, hair characteristics, etc. But too many unknowns at 22. 

Sucks man. I get it. But getting a HT at your age (and pattern) is just too risky.

Shave your head, maybe look into smp and speak to your doc about getting on meds.