Propecia and having kids

What’s the rule regarding taking propecia and trying to have kids. My HT surgeon said to stop 1 month before and then use protection once pregnant. I’ve ready so many different views on this topic. Any thoughts from drs or anyone else with experience ?

thanx

If you read what Merck has published, you will find that the apparent risk is to females handling the drug before, during, and after pregnancy.

To my understanding,  a test using rhesus monkeys was conducted and when the males were given low dose finasteride, it had no negative impact regarding conception to the female nor any defects to the fetus.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 weeks later...

As a hospital pharmacist, I researched this extensively.  I have now been on propecia for 10 years and have 2 boys. 

There is a theoretical risk that finasteride in semen could affect the development of a male foetus.  However, the amounts are extremely small or even undetectable. Therefore, I decided to continue to take it during conception then use condoms as soon as we had a positive pregnancy test. 

From memory, the sexual organs are formed between week 8 and 15, so if you use condoms as soon as you confirm pregnancy it should be fine. 

However, this is a decision that only you can make. Best of luck. 

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, splitting hairs said:

As a hospital pharmacist, I researched this extensively.  I have now been on propecia for 10 years and have 2 boys. 

There is a theoretical risk that finasteride in semen could affect the development of a male foetus.  However, the amounts are extremely small or even undetectable. Therefore, I decided to continue to take it during conception then use condoms as soon as we had a positive pregnancy test. 

From memory, the sexual organs are formed between week 8 and 15, so if you use condoms as soon as you confirm pregnancy it should be fine. 

However, this is a decision that only you can make. Best of luck. 

It was my belief that there was only a risk if a pregnant woman handled propecia, if what you say is true, I can’t see how the risk is worth it IMHO. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi Melvin, what I was trying to say is that the risk is theoretical, there is no evidence of finasteride in semen causing birth defects.

But to be on the safe side, It's a good idea to use condoms after conception. 

Merck have not put a warning in the product leaflet about exposing your pregnant partner to finasteride through semen because there is no evidence of it causing problems. 

Here's a good link for more info:

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/news/treatments/conceiving-baby-while-taking-propecia/

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

I think you mean "before" conception!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY