COLORING YOUR HAIR.

My transplant 2300 were done yesterday.  My hair has retained a lot of its natural brown color even though I am 71.  Do any of you dye your hair?   I am a natural medium brown, but I have only dyed my mustache and eyebrows until now using Just for Men.  I am thinking of a full transition to include my hair as my transplants heal.  I would then like to transition into a darker brown.    My hair should be full enough in 4-6 moths to try the medium brown.  I am getting a full facelift in January.  I have an exercise plan that should have be in pretty good shape by the time of the facelift. 

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

• Moderators

I do dye my hair regularly and I also use Just For Men hair dye. There's no issue using it on transplanted hair, but I'd wait a couple of months before dying it to let the area heal.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I would not even think of dying for at least 4-6 months, and after doing some reading I may switch  from Just For Men to women's hair dye.  I find no reason not to. 

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

• Administrators

I actually colored my hair on Friday, not because of grey hair, but because I wanted some highlights in the hairline. Most dyes are safe as long as you don’t have an allergic reaction to them, also stay away from peroxide and bleach. 

Here’s an article I wrote yesterday worth a read.

Is Dying Transplanted Hair Safe?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Just for Men is a safe product to use as it does not contain any harsh chemicals such as peroxide.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

It is so important to achieve an even balance. One time when I had a beard I got it too dark and I looked like a terrorist.  LOL  I will probably try the medium brown from Just for Men and if that works I may transition to the darker brown.  I have gray around the sides, but I am not sure what my latest transplant will come in as.  I would love black hair, but that very seldom look right.

1 hour ago, Dr. Glenn Charles said:

There is no problem dying the transplanted hair once it starts growing.(4-6 months). Just make sure you are using one of the newer dyes that are safer and less harmful to the hair. ( Ammonia free, organic or plant based)

Does anyone have a list of the safe dyes?  I just Googled this.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty-products/hair-dye-reviews/advice/a17382/non-toxic-hair-dyes-55021302/

I think I will just go with the Just For Men Shampoo.

22 minutes ago, jonfromozz said:

I use Herbatint, a natural color with no harmful chemicals.

Herbatint gets good reviews on Amazon.  It will be a good 4-6 months before I try anything, but that is now on my list.  Thank You.  I am looking to start with a medium brown and maybe switch to a darker brown later.

Edited by Dazed