Cost and negotiating

So I had 3 different quotes and I decided on using what happens to be a reco'd doctor on this forum. I noticed the quote is higher than what I've read others mention. 

I am never one to negotiate, much like buying a car just give me a price so I can get out of there as quick as possible. 

This happens to be a 20% difference which is considerable so wanted to get your thoughts on negotiating because i know there is a possibility of getting more grafts than discussed which I wouldn't be opposed to and I would not want to affect that happening. 

Cost I have read 6 -vs- cost I was given 7.6. 

Also this was verbal so not sure if this would change as well. I am happy with my choice of doctors and will pay regardless just curious if you can put a price on the self confidence this instills when done well. 

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

• Administrators

Pricing can vary from surgeon to surgeon and even from individual to individual. Generally, the lower the amount of grafts you receive the higher you'll pay per graft. Most surgeons are willing to negotiate on the price if you have a higher graft count. For example a surgeon quotes you 1,000 grafts at $7 per graft, but then will drop it to $6 per graft for 2,000 grafts and above this is common practice. Pricing also varies by procedure, most surgeons charge a higher rate for FUE.

In the end, it doesn't hurt to ask the surgeon if he/she is willing to negotiate on the pricing, but if you have found a good surgeon that you feel comfortable with, I wouldn't harp too much on the price, in the end money comes and goes and results will stay with you forever.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

18 hours ago, Shifty said:

So I had 3 different quotes and I decided on using what happens to be a reco'd doctor on this forum. I noticed the quote is higher than what I've read others mention. 

I am never one to negotiate, much like buying a car just give me a price so I can get out of there as quick as possible. 

This happens to be a 20% difference which is considerable so wanted to get your thoughts on negotiating because i know there is a possibility of getting more grafts than discussed which I wouldn't be opposed to and I would not want to affect that happening. 

Cost I have read 6 -vs- cost I was given 7.6. 

Also this was verbal so not sure if this would change as well. I am happy with my choice of doctors and will pay regardless just curious if you can put a price on the self confidence this instills when done well. 

Some surgeons will match the price of another known surgeon.  It doesn’t hurt to ask.  In the end, who wants to lose out at thousands.  Good luck.

Thanks for the replies, it literally is $$ thousands. I am just trying to squeeze some more grafts after the 2500 quoted and don't want to rattle the cage. I don't want the doctor to say "You now what I was going to go for an extra 500 grafts but screw this guy he beat me down for $1.60 a graft" lol

It’s ok to haggle.  Competition forces haggling.  This isn’t open heart surgery, but rather cosmetic.  Besides people go through medical tourism and haggle to get best prices, whether it is teeth straightening, breast or ass inplants or penis surgery, etc.  

My cousin just haggled a tooth or crown price.  Price was like $2500 and he bought it down to $1500.  So, you never know.  

Youll be surprised, but there are surgeons that will match or beat their competitor in pricing.  

Little disappointed, not only was negotiating given the smack down, if they pull more grafts than quoted, same price =/ Am I wrong assuming close to $8 a graft is on the high end? Even for the states?

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Shifty said:

Little disappointed, not only was negotiating given the smack down, if they pull more grafts than quoted, same price =/ Am I wrong assuming close to $8 a graft is on the high end? Even for the states?

No $8 is average for most doctors in the states, some charge $10 a graft. This is for FUE though. If you’re going FUT then $8 is very high. 

If you think this doctor is gonna give you a good result, I dont see a problem, money comes and goes, but if you’re on the fence with the doctor himself, look in to other doctors. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Shifty said:

Not on the fence. I guess if its avg I'll suck it up. If I have kids they just won't go to college that's all. 

That's a little melodramatic, a procedure at $8 a graft will cost you the price of a new honda civic, so if you were to go to a dealership and buy a new honda civic would you say "my kids just won't go to college"?

If you think about the tens of thousands of dollars we spend on disposable or depreciating assets you would be amazed. You are investing in yourself, the results will go with you everywhere and will last you a lifetime. The confidence and happiness I have received from my procedures are literally priceless. However, hair loss effects everyone differently so that's something to consider.

View my thread

Wait till u lose a bit more hair where u won’t be able to style it anymore .. then u realize that extra cost means nothing to get back ur self esteem .. also think of the extra costs u would have to spend if u got a botched transplant , poor growth , low density , bumpiness n prolonged redness of skin ,, u be doubling ur costs in the long run .. for a repair job , so spending a few thousand more the first time to limit those negative possibilities is more cost effective long term .. that’s what got me over the huddle of shelling out $16-$17 thousand dollars to get it done right at $8 a graft -2000 grafts .  

Best wshes , u could try to get a travelers discount to save some money , or ask if they have any specials going on at certain months to save money .. 

8 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

That's a little melodramatic, a procedure at $8 a graft will cost you the price of a new honda civic, so if you were to go to a dealership and buy a new honda civic would you say "my kids just won't go to college"?

If you think about the tens of thousands of dollars we spend on disposable or depreciating assets you would be amazed. You are investing in yourself, the results will go with you everywhere and will last you a lifetime. The confidence and happiness I have received from my procedures are literally priceless. However, hair loss effects everyone differently so that's something to consider.

I was just being facetious ?

8 hours ago, Legend007 said:

Wait till u lose a bit more hair where u won’t be able to style it anymore .. then u realize that extra cost means nothing to get back ur self esteem .. also think of the extra costs u would have to spend if u got a botched transplant , poor growth , low density , bumpiness n prolonged redness of skin ,, u be doubling ur costs in the long run .. for a repair job , so spending a few thousand more the first time to limit those negative possibilities is more cost effective long term .. that’s what got me over the huddle of shelling out $16-$17 thousand dollars to get it done right at $8 a graft -2000 grafts .  

Best wshes , u could try to get a travelers discount to save some money , or ask if they have any specials going on at certain months to save money .. 

I’m there already. At the end of the day I just want to be happy w/ the results.

It was a bad idea.  If they can charge that sort of rate it is for a reason.  Maybe if the waiting list was really short you may have got some joy but unlikely.

If patients normally pay by credit card you could ask to do a bank transfer if that's possible, or check (cheque - uk spelling), asking them if they will deduct the Amex/Visa/Mastercard %.  That might take off 2-5% if they are agreeable.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Regardless of their answer, I think it's great that you asked. You have nothing to lose, potentially a lot to gain, and if the doctor is so offended that you would even ask at all, then that would give me pause about his maturity and character. 

Tim Ferris (an extremely successful, talented, handsome man with MPB, I might add - for those who think it's impossible to be any of those things if you're losing your hair ;) ) talks a lot about the most successful people being those willing to have those uncomfortable conversations... Negotiating a price when it's out of your comfort zone falls into that category, so I think you did yourself some good by even having the conversation to begin with. 

Best of luck with the HT

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56